Drivers: How long does it take you to find a package (on average)

bostoncommon

I'm new to preloading and trying to understand my job impacts drivers... it seems like it would be a pretty quick task to find a package in the package car since they're in order but I've heard that things can get mixed up or the preload can be bad. In your experience, how long, on average, does it take for you (the driver) to find a package after you've parked your truck.

ajax25

In order? That must be nice...haha

Nah it really depends on the loader, it seems to me that some of them can handle loading 3 trucks every morning and some can't, I'm a swing driver so I never know what to expect from a load. Sometimes they are all in order and on the correct shelves and sometimes they are on the correct shelves but appear to just be tossed up there somewhat close to where they should be, then you have the bad ones where boxes are completely on the wrong shelves and you find them 3 hrs later. If it's all in order it's a matter of just a few seconds (3-5) to grab the box and be out of the truck. If not then it might be 2-3 min to find a package depending on how heavy I am that day.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Puggy

I load 5 trucks literally everyday I always put my packages in the right spot if not near BUT sometimes the driver pisses me off by complaining about the smallest :censored2: so in the days of the week I just sort and hide a package that belongs in the 1000 shelf behind a HUGE box in the 8000 area WAHAHAHA bitch don't mess with your loader HEHEHEHEHEHE

Johney

I just sort and hide a package that belongs in the 1000 shelf behind a HUGE box in the 8000 area WAHAHAHA bitch don't mess with your loader HEHEHEHEHEHE
Hey newbie. We have been down this road numerous times before. So when that driver finds it, goes back to the beginning of their route(unneeded miles) or it's a business, missed because it's after 5 and closed. Who do YOU think is going to be blamed? Mess with the driver? We can play too. How about we slide a misload from Joe's car right next door 5 days in a week? Whoops! warning letter for you! Let it go for a week or so. Hey Puggy is doing great no misloads this week! Then I hit Joe's car up again 3 days this week. Whoops! Need I say more? I know it's tough, just do your job as best you can it's hard enough for all of us but really bad when your a DICK!

oldngray

nowhere special
Hey newbie. We have been down this road numerous times before. So when that driver finds it, goes back to the beginning of their route(unneeded miles) or it's a business, missed because it's after 5 and closed. Who do YOU think is going to be blamed? Mess with the driver? We can play too. How about we slide a misload from Joe's car right next door 5 days in a week? Whoops! warning letter for you! Let it go for a week or so. Hey Puggy is doing great no misloads this week! Then I hit Joe's car up again 3 days this week. Whoops! Need I say more? I know it's tough, just do your job as best you can it's hard enough for all of us but really bad when your a DICK!

Agreed. Drivers will cover for the occasional mistakes of a good loader but if the loader is really bad the drivers can burn him.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
10 minutes. Nothing like having a 1000 section package loaded behind 15 other 2000 section boxes that have all been loaded as FL1's

HAHA. I just make the money

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
According to their numbers you have 7 seconds from the time you shut off the truck to select the package and be out the door.

oldngray

nowhere special
It was 15 seconds 5-6 years ago. What the hell happened that we lost HALF of that time?

When was the last time drivers were given any extra time for anything? Its always a question of trying to keep from losing more time. The numbers are so messed up most drivers just gave up and don't worry about over allow. Except the few centers with bonus babies running 2 or 3 hours under. That will eventually change after corporate looks more closely at those centers.

Brownslave688

When was the last time drivers were given any extra time for anything? Its always a question of trying to keep from losing more time. The numbers are so messed up most drivers just gave up and don't worry about over allow. Except the few centers with bonus babies running 2 or 3 hours under. That will eventually change after corporate looks more closely at those centers.
Oh I totally agree. I could care less about the numbers but 15 seconds is a realistic number to select a package. 7 seconds is fairies and rainbows land.

Brownslave688

I load 5 trucks literally everyday I always put my packages in the right spot if not near BUT sometimes the driver pisses me off by complaining about the smallest :censored2: so in the days of the week I just sort and hide a package that belongs in the 1000 shelf behind a HUGE box in the 8000 area WAHAHAHA bitch don't mess with your loader HEHEHEHEHEHE
Uh be careful. My best friends dad caught his loader doing this and it took 3 drivers to constrain him.

Kids lucky at 6'4" 265 that poor little preloader would have gotten quite the beat down.

Brownslave688

Technology
Being? I don't care but I'm serious at the same time. Push button saves a good driver maybe a couple seconds but then you went and eliminated my sort and load allowance with edd so packages are no longer right there or if I take the time to sort it I'm losing time the whole time.

It's amazing how one dumb truck driver with a high school diploma has more common sense then the whole lot of them put together.