Drivers who went to college

JL 0513

I have 2 degrees. UPS pays more. I'm not totally regretful for going but if I could go back in time, I'd definitely skip college and get into UPS out of high school. Life would have been better earlier. Having just made top rate this year in my mid 30's, it was a long time just getting by in life. Before 33 years old, I never made more than $14/hr.
Would have been great starting driving in my earlier 20's and buy a house by 25 instead of 35 and be ahead of the curve.

ChrisTheBrown

Criminal justice for a couple semesters, now I deliver to the county jail that I almost got hired at (in 2011) on Saturdays..& I just laugh. I love driving for a living.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Moved here 20 years ago for college. Bounced around several majors, then quit. Just never found the drive for anything. Tried it again a couple years later, same result. Wound up married and at UPS. Except for my best friend (pharmacist) I probably make more than everyone else I went to high school with.

ArcherUTR

Very happy to root on my student loans during college football season.

Proud of my degree from a flagship institution. I could have made a lot more money in my degree if I were driven. But it sucked. Fortunate to have my UPS career.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Just about every 30-40 year old I know has a mountain of school debt and a crap job to show for it. Anyone who stuck around the home town may as well never went because there aren't any good paying jobs around here anymore other than UPS and Govt. jobs and they haven't hired for years. A 4 year college degree is a laugh. You are better off going to a trade school.
I paid off my school debt by age 30 ... oh yeah, I was a UPS driver and management after college.

JL 0513

It is interesting. As a UPS driver I can say I make more than everyone I know. This includes numerous computer programmers my wife and I are friends with because my wife is one. This is why it sometimes gets me the amount of complaining we all do here.

Took a break after my first year of community college. Hired onto preload at 19. Just turned 24, full time driver for 6 months. Living large at home, 2.5 years until 36.20/H :money::money::money:

BrownArmy

Paid my way through college and loved every minute of it.

I got a solid post-secondary classically liberal education, and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Hindsight is 20/20: would I do anything different?

Maybe...go into computers instead.

Either way, I'm a well educated truck driver, and that's quite alright.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Dropped out of high school when I knocked up a girl in 11th grade. Worked two jobs while living at her parents house with our child. Got my GED while doing both jobs. One of the jobs I rose through the ranks in a retail environment to the point I managed 5 managers and 50 employees underneath them, 28,000 square foot store.

Got to the point I was making 80k 17 years ago, quit due to 6 day work weeks salary as store manager and came to work at UPS PT for the insurance. Was offered PT management at interview and declined. Became FT driver and the rest is history, probably left a few :censored2:ty parts out.

Do I wish I could have gone to college, sure. Do I regret not going, getting out in the workforce instead, no. Is college for everyone, no. My daughter doesn't know what she wants to do with her life, thinking of doing history degree on my dime to become an archivist or archeologist. Not sure I agree with it but perusing her dreams is a luxury I wasn't afforded. Might turn into a wasted degree, but I don't see anyone here posting they wanted to be a UPS driver when they grew up either.

But no, I didn't go to college.

goinjeepn

BS in business, with an option of production and operations mgmt. Was supposed to be a full time sup. glad I stayed a driver, more pay and vacation.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
BS in Criminal Justice with minor in criminology
$110K spent getting that education
15 years on the job as a cop
1000's of arrests
1 fatal officer involved shooting situation
1 non-fatal officer involved shooting situation

0 times the degree was used to advance career...

...unknown how many times I wished I had studied something else or become an attorney.
One of my drivers is an ex Trooper and he says this job gives him more stress.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I graduated summa cum laude with a BS in Business Administration while preloading at UPS from the beginning of my sophomore year until graduation.

While I don't believe I needed to go to college for my current job as a package car driver, I do believe that what I learned there has helped me in other parts of my life.

Education is never a bad thing.
I got one good friend. That's about all I have left of it.