Drivers with Tattoo's

J

Jersey girl

They tried to do this in Jersey about two years ago. We were told to cover them up, but we fought it with the union and won. We were told if we were hired with them, no need to cover them up. But if we got new ones they had to be covered up. Never heard of anything since then.

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
Listen to what these other guys are saying.....but I'll tell you, if you're not in the building for 8 hours, you're in the public IMO. I'm sure UPS views the same way. Air driver, feeder, counter, etc etc...you represent UPS in the publics eyes.

Regardless, there was no "package car driver" restriction mentioned from the author of the thread, so the point has no merit anyway.

PS every time I see the Monavie 4 pack at our counter, I think of your browncafe alias and chuckle. The first time we ever had one of these at the counter, I dropped one and it shattered, needless to say....still cannot believe how flimsy and delicate the packaging is from this distributor! ..

Carry on...

We got bunches lot of those bottles through our hub on a daily basis....99.9% of em are returns

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
Listen to what these other guys are saying.....but I'll tell you, if you're not in the building for 8 hours, you're in the public IMO. I'm sure UPS views the same way. Air driver, feeder, counter, etc etc...you represent UPS in the publics eyes.

Regardless, there was no "package car driver" restriction mentioned from the author of the thread, so the point has no merit anyway.

PS every time I see the Monavie 4 pack at our counter, I think of your browncafe alias and chuckle. The first time we ever had one of these at the counter, I dropped one and it shattered, needless to say....still cannot believe how flimsy and delicate the packaging is from this distributor! ..

Carry on...

currahee

What I really don't understand is, we were hired with the tattoo's. Past center manager'S didn't care about the tattoo's. Now we have a new center manager and DM. From what I've been told, these two guys are know as "Cleaners" They come into the building for two years clean it up and then out they go. Seeing how bad our building is, I think they are here for a while. Sorry I rambled abit. Seriously shouldn't there be a "Grandfather in claus?" Tattoo's are not in the contract. Not any were in the dress code. :peaceful:

currahee

Whats up Doc? I believe we are talking about the the same bald orange skinned DM . The tattoo issue was never a problem until a couple of years ago. Managers have come and gone and never was said about it. I think we are going to have to ride out the storm.

Docparcel79

Currahee, yea we are talking about the same blue man group look alike guy. That's my thaught was ride out the storm with this guy, but man when the summer comes. i'll be fuming if i gotta wear pants in 90 degree heat here in mass.

currahee

I know a couple of guys wear pants to work and then change out on area.It doesnt solve the problem of being pick on because you chose to get a tattoo.
It not just the tattoo because if you take a stand he just gathers as much dirt on you and then fires you for not using your hand rail.

Docparcel79

Yea I'm one of those guys who changes when out in area, but it will only take that one time for Mr.Orange or any other management team to see me. It's exactly what ya said they just build and build tuck it away on your file and wait till you don't use the hand rail or some other picky thing and fire you.

upsdude

Tattoos have always been a no no here. Guys and gals have to cover them up, couple guys wear winter uniforms year round.

I do wish the company held my package car to the same appearance standards I’m held to.

keith lestrange

hi everyone
greetings from ireland.....well on the tattoo's subject there are a lot of drivers in our ctr with them....to be honest the package still arrives on time doesnt it ?? i dont see the problem..i dont have tatts myself but i mean come on guys its NOT a problem !!!
customers pay for a service not the way im dressed !!! :wink2:

Docparcel79

Tattoo's were not a big issue about 2 years ago. Mangement team didn't have a gripe about them. Now all of the sudden it's a whole big issue. Like someone already posted"The packages get delivered and are on time correct" I haven't heard a single customer complain over a tattoo. In fact I've had customers compliment tattoos. We were all hired with them, why not just let us drivers show them.

HazMatMan

Maybe but I know several guys in feeders that have tattoos visible, on the inside forearms (for lack of better description) and one guy with the tats on his fingers (like Ozzy Osbourne, for again lack of better description). IMO if they can do it, everyone should be able to. Singling certain people out and not others shouldn't be tolerated; so it should be all or nothing.

The possible reason drivers and not feeders are singled out is because of customer contact.

HazMatMan

hi everyone
greetings from ireland.....well on the tattoo's subject there are a lot of drivers in our ctr with them....to be honest the package still arrives on time doesnt it ?? i dont see the problem..i dont have tatts myself but i mean come on guys its NOT a problem !!!

Your absolutely right, (about the package being delivered on time)(sometimes)(most of the time) but the company cares how that person representing UPS looks when they deliver to the customer.

I've only worked here for 18 years...Nobody who work outside the hub or at a customer counter were ever able to have a visable tattoo. Some can be offensive to customers. So if one person can't have one, no one can have one. It's the union way.

upsgrunt

hi everyone

Put yourself on the other side of the fence. Would you feel good about a surgeon operating on you that had neck tattoos and a scraggly beard, or would you feel better about one that looked professional? Would you do business at a bank if the employees looked the same way? Image counts for alot in today's world, and I have to agree with UPS on this one.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree with upsgrunt, although I personally would not have a problem with beards, if they were kept neat. I spent 8 years in the US Air Force, where I couldn't have a beard, only to leave and go right to UPS, where I still can't have a beard. I guess I'll have to wait 11 more years, although I do grow a "vacation beard". My daughter asked me for my advice as she wanted to get a tattoo. I told her I didn't have a problem with it as long as she got it where it wouldn't be visible, because she works in a medical facility. (Please--no comments on my daughter or her tattoo--thank you.) Our center manager's favorite word is "perception" and this thread, and the opinions expressed on both sides of this issue, underscore how a customers "perception" of our appearance can have a lasting impression, regardless of how friendly/courteous we may be.

Griff

No idea where you guys are working, but here you can have a visible tattoo as long as you're a pal to management. We have guys who have leg tattoos and wear shorts. Also have some guys who run bonus that have arm tattoos and wear the summer shirts from spring to fall. Rules don't apply to everyone, skip your lunch and you can get your face tattooed like Tyson.

upsgrunt

No idea where you guys are working, but here you can have a visible tattoo as long as you're a pal to management. We have guys who have leg tattoos and wear shorts. Also have some guys who run bonus and have arm tattoos and wear the summer shirts from spring to fall. Rules don't apply to everyone, skip your lunch and you can get your face tattooed like Tyson.

Thanks, I'll pass. Personally, I think tattoos are cool, and I would have liked one when I was twenty, but everyone eventually ages, and we all know how old tattoos look on older people. I'm glad I just kept telling myself that "it sure won't look to cool when I'm an old man". 98 % of the older people I know that have tattoos have regret for getting them.