Drivers with Tattoo's

Docparcel79

Has any driver been told to cover their tattoo or face discipline action? We were all hired with the tattoo, why is UPS telling you to cover them up? What's next? Are they going to tell you on how to **********

Last edited by a moderator:

Cementups

Box Monkey
we've had drivers told to cover tehm up but that issue was faces and they don't have to now. It didn't involve me so i don't know the particulars

doctor brown 688

We have had this isssue come up in our center and we had to cover them up.My advice is cover them up and not raise to much stink about it.
It's "flavor of the week" game management seems to play everywhere,next week they won't notice your tattoos it will be on to something else.I can already hear the standard PCM speech that goes something like this: It appears that some employees have become relaxed in their daily appearance standards,you need to make sure are wearing proper polishable type footwear and up to standards before your start time. Reminds me of a part time employee we had at our center awhile back,young girl with several tattoos and piercings.Seems human resources didn't mind her appearance at interview time and our center team didn't have a problem, until a couple weeks into her employment we happen to have a district manager come down for a visit and didn't care for her eyebrow piercing.She was told to take it out,which she did as not to jeopardize her 30 day period. Sad thing is she did make seniority and was a hard worker but ended up quitting because she felt singled out and harrassed by this district manager.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Should be.

Maybe but I know several guys in feeders that have tattoos visible, on the inside forearms (for lack of better description) and one guy with the tats on his fingers (like Ozzy Osbourne, for again lack of better description). IMO if they can do it, everyone should be able to. Singling certain people out and not others shouldn't be tolerated; so it should be all or nothing.

Docparcel79

What I really don't understand is, we were hired with the tattoo's. Past center manager'S didn't care about the tattoo's. Now we have a new center manager and DM. From what I've been told, these two guys are know as "Cleaners" They come into the building for two years clean it up and then out they go. Seeing how bad our building is, I think they are here for a while. Sorry I rambled abit. Seriously shouldn't there be a "Grandfather in claus?" Tattoo's are not in the contract. Not any were in the dress code. :peaceful:

Tony31yrs

You should call your local and talk to someone at the union. Here, you'll just get opinions and heresay without the facts from many of the posts. Ask someone that knows.

ImpactedTSG

Has any driver been told to cover their tattoo or face discipline action? We were all hired with the tattoo, why is UPS telling you to cover them up? What's next? Are they going to tell you on how to **********
You made the decision to get a tattoo on your face even though it goes against the norm in society. Live with the consequences. It's your right to look how you want, and it's UPS or any other business's right to have their employees look how they want.

Docparcel79

We talked to the Union about this at a meeting that we had last week. All that was said was to cover them up, and play their games. Don't fall into thier trap and get warning letters over a tattoo.

over9five

Staff member
Not having any tats, I really don't care one way or the other except:

1. Don't you guys think that UPS should have made it clear that tattoos would have to be covered when these people were hired?

2. If there is a tattoo policy it should be applied equally to all employees who have contact with the public?

3. If there is a policy, should it include all tats? Or only tats that are judged offensive?

4. If so, who decides what is offensive? Would this be different in different parts of the country (or the world?) Which would revert back to question 2.

5. LOL. Does the guy with tats on his fingers have to wear gloves year round? How 'bout the girl with neck tats? Year round scarf?? Or the guy with neck tats? What do you call that tie thingy British guys wear? More? (I always go to Moreluck when I can't think of something. She's the best!)

What do you guys think?

There are drivers in my dept with tats down their arms. I wonder what would happen if they were told to wear long sleeves in the blazing hot Summer?

Leftinbuilding

What I really don't understand is, we were hired with the tattoo's. Past center manager'S didn't care about the tattoo's. Now we have a new center manager and DM. From what I've been told, these two guys are know as "Cleaners" They come into the building for two years clean it up and then out they go. Seeing how bad our building is, I think they are here for a while. Sorry I rambled abit. Seriously shouldn't there be a "Grandfather in claus?" Tattoo's are not in the contract. Not any were in the dress code. :peaceful:

You sure about that? I know it was at one time.

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
Maybe but I know several guys in feeders that have tattoos visible, on the inside forearms (for lack of better description) and one guy with the tats on his fingers (like Ozzy Osbourne, for again lack of better description). IMO if they can do it, everyone should be able to. Singling certain people out and not others shouldn't be tolerated; so it should be all or nothing.

Feeders dont deal with the public..Package car drivers do

Last edited:

over9five

Staff member
"Feeders dont deal with the public."

Many feeders do customer p/us and deliveries. Even the ones who don't take breaks and lunches. They are seen in public places.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Feeders dont deal with the public..Package car drivers do

Listen to what these other guys are saying.....but I'll tell you, if you're not in the building for 8 hours, you're in the public IMO. I'm sure UPS views the same way. Air driver, feeder, counter, etc etc...you represent UPS in the publics eyes.

Regardless, there was no "package car driver" restriction mentioned from the author of the thread, so the point has no merit anyway.

PS every time I see the Monavie 4 pack at our counter, I think of your browncafe alias and chuckle. The first time we ever had one of these at the counter, I dropped one and it shattered, needless to say....still cannot believe how flimsy and delicate the packaging is from this distributor! ..

Carry on...