Driving full-time

S

splozi

To all of the full time drivers here:

How long after you started driving did you become full-time?

Before driving full time, were you still doing your previous part-time work at the same time as covering routes or driving splits?

If so, did you wish you could have done that for longer before becoming full-time, or did you want to become full-time ASAP?

I ask, because I know how long the hours become when you drive full-time. So I think I actually like the idea of doing preload and occasionally driving, when or if the opportunity arises. Your pay increases drastically, and you don't have to kill yourself with long hours M-friend. There's a guy on my belt who has been with UPS for only about two years, and he's been doing that since peak. I'm jealous.

old levi's

blank space

Before driving full time, were you still doing your previous part-time work at the same time as covering routes or driving splits?

If so, did you wish you could have done that for longer before becoming full-time, or did you want to become full-time ASAP?

I ask, because I know how long the hours become when you drive full-time. So I think I actually like the idea of doing preload and occasionally driving, when or if the opportunity arises. Your pay increases drastically, and you don't have to kill yourself with long hours M-friend. There's a guy on my belt who has been with UPS for only about two years, and he's been doing that since peak. I'm jealous.

Never did any driving before going full time. I worked all day after the preload at another job.

The guys that had gained some experience driving while working part-time had an easier transition into full time driving. I could not be available for a few hours here and there. Had to have a full time job to get by.

Thirteen years on preload / Ten years swing driving / Got my first bid route at age 54

I was a ptimer doing PSC work. I put my name on the driving list. When it was my turn seniority wise I went to driving class for two weeks. Then I was a FT package car driver. No such thing as pt driving back in the day.

brownedout

1) Just under 6 years

2) The last year involved lots of NDA help on my part, was probably a contract violation as I know it now. No one seemed to mind, more importantly no one ever filed or looked at me "crossly"

3) I couldn't go full-time driving soon enough

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Just under 2 years had not even put my name on the list when HR said your next sign up if u want to drive. I was full time coverage immediately and got my bid route after about 4.5 years of driving.

packageguy

Dont know what center you are in, but part timers doing full time work is just wrong. you guys must be cutting deals, That is why we have problems nobody sticks together. that is why they are not putting no full time jobs.

S

splozi

Dont know what center you are in, but part timers doing full time work is just wrong. you guys must be cutting deals, That is why we have problems nobody sticks together. that is why they are not putting no full time jobs.

I'm unsure what you mean by cutting deals.

We have three people on my belt right now who are pt time drivers. The guy I mentioned, another girl, and the guy doing pickoff.
Sometimes they don't come in, or come in late, because they are driving that day. In those cases they send "floaters" over to load the area (or do pickoff).

I thought this was normal?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Started in 76, midnight sort.
Early 80's midnight cancelled , had to move to twilight.
83 FT list had some openings, didn't make the cut.
85 FT list opened again, didn't make my 30 days.
87 became first exceptional air driver .
Worked twilight and air driving til 99, many six day weeks, some seven.
[ some of that "air work" was actually cover driving ]
{ all those hours really helped towards my pension credit total , needed 1800 hrs/yr to qualify for full years credit }.
99 became first year combo.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Started in 76, midnight sort.
Early 80's midnight cancelled , had to move to twilight.
83 FT list had some openings, didn't make the cut.
85 FT list opened again, didn't make my 30 days.
87 became first exceptional air driver .
Worked twilight and air driving til 99, many six day weeks, some seven.
[ some of that "air work" was actually cover driving ]
{ all those hours really helped towards my pension credit total , needed 1800 hrs/yr to qualify for full years credit }.
99 became first year combo.

I can't tell you how much of my 'air driving' and 'shuttling' was really cover driving.

Kirk

I started 20 years ago! I work in a small center. I worked part time for 2 1/2 years, before I started to drive. The quicker that you can start driving the better for you! When you start driving part time, management might ask you to work preload or unload. I never said no when they asked! The hours might be long but the return is worth it! Good Luck

Floyd Gondolli

I like the flexibility of Preload and Cover Driving. Just did 3 weeks of driving now i'm on vacation. will probably be back in preload next week, which i'm cool with. When you drive your locked in. I can make money and have a life at the same time. If they came to me with a perm drive position i'm not sure if i would take it. Driving is over rated and i've taken down over 50 routes in my building.

UPSGUY72

11 Months

We don't have PT drivers in my area. If you a Driver you are a FT driver. Except for the couple of PTimers that drive Sat Air. They also hire a couple casuals off the street From June 1 till the second week in Sept and again from Oct 1 till X-mas.

I couldn't go FT fast enough.

Cementups

Box Monkey

I think I was driving 6 years before I became FT, 8.5 years with the company

Started with UPS in 7/93, went driving 4/96, drove the whole first year almost daily as a cover driver. 8/97 was THE strike and went back to preload (and working doubles) for a year. 8/98 went back out driving as a PT cover driver and I believe it was sometime in 2001 that I took a bid as a FT cover driver. and about 9 months later that I got my first FT bid.

Basically since I started in 7/93 I have worked FT hours all but about a year, even as a part timer.

browndog123

I wouldn't go full time right now, 10 yrs ago I would of jumped at the chance. But so many things have changed in those ten years, if I was doing it over I would stay part time and keep the benefits. Your family would appreciate see you at 5, instead of 7 or 8 P.M.