Driving test for seasonal

newguy1

im taking the driving test this friday, is driving the ups package car different than driving any normal stick shift pickup truck? how many gears do they typically have? i assume probably 4, but do they make you do anything in particular? sorry for such a stupid question, i just want to know what to expect or any tips you guys may have....thanks in advance

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
im taking the driving test this friday, is driving the ups package car different than driving any normal stick shift pickup truck? how many gears do they typically have? i assume probably 4, but do they make you do anything in particular? sorry for such a stupid question, i just want to know what to expect or any tips you guys may have....thanks in advance

Depends if you're driving a diesel or gas. Gas is 4 diesel is 5 speed. Always start in 1st!!! Handbrake on hills will protect you from rolling backwards. That's a starter, I'm sure you'll be bombarded in a few minutes with more helpful hints. Good Luck to you and be careful.

Service Failure

I know it sounds pretty damn obvious but watch your mirrors and be aware of the height of your vehicle. Hitting anything will result in a failure on the road test so be aware of your mirrors and mirrors of other commercial vehicles.

If you have experience driving trucks of similiar size it should be a piece of cake! Good Luck!

newguy1

thanks guys, yea im not a beginner driving either, and i drive my dads truck alot, 95 ford F150 manual trans....so i know what it is to drive a stick in a big motored car, i know it wont be like a little car were the gears go right in smoothly....

newguy1

Look left, right, left before you go through an intersection. And are you sure it's a stick? Our center just has automatics now.

yea im sure, they have stressed asking the question like 10 times if i can drive a stick.....i think everyone should be able to drive a stick anyways....

The Brown Santa

Ping Pong Ball
I have a P800 with a Spicer 5 speed. Now, if only it had power steering....

I'm sure I'm not alone, when driving a regular 800 with a 4 speed I always start in second. Drive it like a 3 speed! :happy2:

newguy1

thanks for all the input guys, im an experienced driver so im not really worried, i figure its like another driving test when we all got our licenses just with a truck.....

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
thanks for all the input guys, im an experienced driver so im not really worried, i figure its like another driving test when we all got our licenses just with a truck.....

Odds are they are going to give you the biggest piece of crap in that warehouse and make you drive it. The one I took mine in was such a piece, everytime I hit a bump I thought the thing was going to fall apart. lol

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Steve, it might be a California "thang" but all our automatics are regular gas, no diesel. And BTW, you can't take the hell out of Helen!!

Wow! Now that I would like, a gas automatic. I've never seen one. Well I've seen a 300 that was auto/gas, but that doesn't really count. And my edit meaning was that I originally spelled helen like this, hellen.:happy2:

haydendavid380

is property of UPS
thanks guys, yea im not a beginner driving either, and i drive my dads truck alot, 95 ford F150 manual trans....so i know what it is to drive a stick in a big motored car, i know it wont be like a little car were the gears go right in smoothly....

Package cars are a little bigger than an F150 :wink2:. Our seasonal get 35 Year old P8's or P10's with no power steering and absolutely no suspension left.

newguy1

hahahaha, yea i passed it pretty good, the manager gave me the test, not a supervisor. i thought the package car was pretty easy to drive, he told me if i could drive the one on the test, the ones normally driven would be a piece of cake.....so now hopefully in 2 weeks ill be in maryland doing the 'boot camp'

upsgrunt

hahahaha, yea i passed it pretty good, the manager gave me the test, not a supervisor. i thought the package car was pretty easy to drive, he told me if i could drive the one on the test, the ones normally driven would be a piece of cake.....so now hopefully in 2 weeks ill be in maryland doing the 'boot camp'

The key word here is "normally". Package cars differ greatly and some are just plain POS. Guess what cars the new people get on the split routes?