wait to get a driver's license
wait til you're 21 and can drink
wait in line at the store, post ofc, movie
wait to get married
wait to have kids
wait 'til kids leave the nest
wait for retirement
wait for the grim reaper (sigh) :sad:
Yea.....add one more to that list..wait for divorce. 2 years and counting since filing for divorce and still married to the leach. Actually the Blood sucking lawyers are more of a leach. I am sure our lawyers are both at the country club golfing together, trying to figure how to extract more money from me.:cursing::cursing::cursing:
Sorry for the rant....now back to our regular scheduled programming.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
the preloader walks 5 to 8 steps with the pkg[50 lb paper]. he worries when the 10 min brk buzzer goes off, or falls behind and wonders who will come save him from another belt, then wonders if the coffee truck will be there on way out!!!! the driver well he worries about every thing. will a kid pop out between the cars, or is this hill gonna be ok to go down in the snow cuz if I hit something ts gonna be my fault. Should i knock off another 10 stops or start my pick ups,im close should I call in 9.5,should I break off rte now and hit the school [only 1 pkg] so I dont have a missed pkg or how bout my favorite going to house when they already called in complaint for some stupid shlt like no info notice on door yesterday[your sup don't believe you] yup and those hundred pkgs of paper goes down some narrow driveway then down into the guys basement {he has a bad back ya know] now ya call for help and ya gotta here ''come on guy we gut nobody!! can ya suck it up and make 9.5 what are ya doing out there,your killin me!!! yup preload is harder :cursing:

Griff

I'm soooooo glad to read some drivers agree with me... driving is so much better hands down

I tell my loader every day... he loads 3 trucks... i unload 1. I"m not full scale yet, but another year i'll make 28/hr he'll make 10... Ya getting out of the bulding late/NDA can be stressful... making commit times on everything... ODS messages about everything, but i'd pick driving over loading anyday!

And to the guy that packs 100 boxes of paper to the school by hand, in 10' of snow up hill both ways, 100*,blah balh blah... your preloader had to load those same boxes of paper... but hey, since driving is SOOOOOO much harder go back to loading the trucks... thats the good life right there:w00t:hahahah

Yeah, he had to load them. The original question is what is worse on the body after 20 years. Lets see, walking from the back of the truck with a package to the front OR unloading with a 21" step in your way. When does a preloader have to handle a cart with 450+lbs of paper on it, going up curbs, etc. Most of you are letting driver pay influence your input, not very bright at all. If preload paid out the same as driving I would go back inside and not even think twice. Also LeddyS you sound like you run a housestop split route 95% of the time. Have you dealt with a route in an old broken down industrial section of town (METAL WORKERS)? How about a route that has more accountants on it than you can count on two hands? Ever been on that route before tax time, 3rd floor, no elevator? I can tell by the way you reacted to my original post you've clearly never done a route that has 5+ schools (all dockless) around mid July.

I'm suspect of anyone that is a driver who says they only "unload 1". Anyone that has or is covering a real route unloads 1 and loads 1 everyday.

Last edited:

govols019

You smell that?
How long, if ever, did you preload?

We have a bunch of 20+ year drivers in my center. They are all able to perform the job without a problem. We have one 20+ year preloader. Watching him walk is painful.

Griff

How long, if ever, did you preload?

We have a bunch of 20+ year drivers in my center. They are all able to perform the job without a problem. We have one 20+ year preloader. Watching him walk is painful.

You're one of the people who claims they only have to unload 1 car everyday. Why am I shocked? Oh wait, I'm not. We have many 20+ year drivers here who walk like they have a prosthetic leg, what is your point?

I've delivered almost as many routes as I've loaded...Haven't delivered any that I wish I was still a preloader. Even the ones with 50 boxes of paper.

Griff

You didn't answer my question.

You didn't answer mine, why would I answer yours? You don't even have to answer mine, I already know the answers.

I've delivered almost as many routes as I've loaded...Haven't delivered any that I wish I was still a preloader. Even the ones with 50 boxes of paper.

Yeah, we all know you 1989, driving is the easiest job in the USA. You know 420 routes, beat scratch everyday, take your hour, dont ever run, get 5 positive sales leads everyday, and manage to save peoples life on area. It's safe to say we should all aspire to be you.

Yeah, we all know you 1989, driving is the easiest job in the USA. You know 420 routes, beat scratch everyday, take your hour, dont ever run, get 5 positive sales leads everyday, and manage to save peoples life on area. It's safe to say we should all aspire to be you.[/quote]

No, I've only done 110 routes....I'm rarely scratch....But I help someone nearly everyday....I take between 1/2hr and an hour, but get paid for anything less than an hour....My last sales lead was June 2000....In fact last week I forgot to sheet a package as missed, it was a misload 120 miles off area....I have my flaws.

finaddict

I spent 9 1/2 yrs on preload and had two lower back strains and recurrent tendonitis in my elbow. I spent 9 yrs in delivery and was a lean mean delivery machine and enjoyed interacting with my customers. Sometimes I had to run my tail off and was stressed to the max, other times it was just a steady pace taking time to "smell the roses". Another 3 yrs in feeders and now my knees hurt from carrying my fat :censored2: from the parking lot to the tractor which was designed for some midget with no way to stretch out my legs. Not to mention I've become nocturnal. A fat nocturnal out of shape caffene addicted steering wheel holder with hemorroids.:crying: The grass aint much greener on the other side of the fence folks.

govols019

You smell that?
Your non-answer is all I need to know you have no idea what you are talking about.

If you find driving THAT difficult maybe you should look for something else.

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
Long Lunch sounds like you hadah humping rte there!!!! my question was directed to Big Arrow and I hope it was'nt taken as a slam. I had a hump and dump rte also for about 12 yrs ,but i still prefered that over doing a 4 car pull on an 8 hour preload.I liked pkg car more than preload but I do think you work harder {on a pkg car} than preloader,just my opinion!!! keep it safe out there!!!!
Sorry about flying off there Woodsy... Congrats to your Sox.. I've been to Boston 3 times on Patriots Day for the road race you guys put on up there and the sox fans are always out rooting us on to the finish.:biggrin:

Griff

Your non-answer is all I need to know you have no idea what you are talking about.

If you find driving THAT difficult maybe you should look for something else.

You're an idiot. Nothing in this thread could lead anyone with a brain to believe that driving is too tough for me to handle. Just because I'm stating facts about what a driver deals with out there doesn't mean that I cannot handle the job. Just because I believe driving to be tougher on joints over the course of 20 years doesn't mean I find the job too difficult. I'm glad you got out of a job that YOU found too difficult to endure though. Go poison some more dogs, tough guy.

LeddySS98

You got me Mr. Griff, no i've never delivered to a school with 5 levels... The highest building we have in town are 3 stories, and no i've never shown up at 5am and loaded the whole truck, AND then gone out to do the route in the same day to unload the truck... So i'm O for 2

So now i have one for you... Have you ever humped 100 miles in 4 days with a 80lb pack, with an extra 40 lbs of water weight from a 5 gallon jug every 4th hour? Probably not, but that's what I did in the Marines. So maybe that's why I find driving to be so much easier, but feel free to put me in my place anytime you feel the need:cool:

browned out

I've been driving for eight years and worked in side for 10 years. Both very difficult environments. Inside you get no seat time and a 10 minute break for 5 hours or if you work a double and do 9 to 10 hours you get two 10 minute breaks. The hardest job by far was loading the drop 28 footer's(jump down about 3 feet to load under doors) and the 53 footers. Unloading a 53 footer full of dells or office max paper or books or video tapes wasn't much fun either, sorting these biatches was no picnic either. No envelopes in those suckers. Pre load sux also.

That being said the driver position is also very physically demanding and much, much more stressful due to managements constant harrasement, driving thru subdivisions with kids, halloween, snow, ice.

There are not to many cake jobs left here anymore. Hazmat designated responder was not bad.

govols019

You smell that?
You're an idiot. Nothing in this thread could lead anyone with a brain to believe that driving is too tough for me to handle. Just because I'm stating facts about what a driver deals with out there doesn't mean that I cannot handle the job. Just because I believe driving to be tougher on joints over the course of 20 years doesn't mean I find the job too difficult. I'm glad you got out of a job that YOU found too difficult to endure though. Go poison some more dogs, tough guy.

Wow, you're a sensitive one. Take a pill or something.

If you've never done the job then how can you compare the two?

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Driving is easier. Hands down. I only have one truck to unload rather than five to load.

Anyone that thinks driving is harder has never been in the first load position on a belt to car preload. There were days I left preload so tired I could barely walk.
come talk to us again after you have unloaded only that one car every day for 15yrs you out of shape crybaby !!! i did a 5 car pull at end of belt 8 hrs a day.full time !!! most people on this board have more time on the toilet at u.p.s than you have spent loading a pkg car !!!!