Driving vs. Preload

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Sorry about flying off there Woodsy... Congrats to your Sox.. I've been to Boston 3 times on Patriots Day for the road race you guys put on up there and the sox fans are always out rooting us on to the finish.:biggrin:
no offense taken lunch guy!!!! never cared much for the marothon,very over hyped here in boston,though i do admire the determination of you runners!!! if we evah meet in kenmore squah when im leavin fenway pahk id love to buyah[buy you] ah beeheh woodsy

Big Babooba

Having worked in one of the few centers that have a full time preload, I have both driven and preloaded. I have to say that both jobs have their merits. Some people prefer preloading and some prefer to drive. To me, the grass seems greener on the other side of the fence. When I preloaded, I always got my breaks and lunches on time, overtime was kept to a minimum and I was out of the weather. I felt bad for the drivers. When I drove, I enjoyed working outside, meeting different people and not having a supervisor around constantly. There were plenty of times when I was on preload when I wished that I was driving and vice-versa.

robot

Has A Large Member
After 9-11 they sent back the bottom 10% of the full time drivers back to the hub for a few months. I loaded trailers for 4 hours then worked the preload and loaded package cars for another 4-5 hours every night. While i was in package car i was around 160 but after a few months in the hub working full time i dropped down to 130. now i'm in feeders and i'm pushing 190 lol but that's another story!

I'd take the hardest route in the center over loading trailers/package cars any time! :cool:

govols019

You smell that?
come talk to us again after you have unloaded only that one car every day for 15yrs you out of shape crybaby !!! i did a 5 car pull at end of belt 8 hrs a day.full time !!! most people on this board have more time on the toilet at u.p.s than you have spent loading a pkg car !!!!

You were dropped on your head as a child, weren't you?

Covemastah

come talk to us again after you have unloaded only that one car every day for 15yrs you out of shape crybaby !!! i did a 5 car pull at end of belt 8 hrs a day.full time !!! most people on this board have more time on the toilet at u.p.s than you have spent loading a pkg car !!!!
whoa big feller ,way to many peaks but point understood

dillweed

We all have different skills. I can work the preload with no problem but tried air driving and it was terrible. Just don't have the assortment of skills necessary to do a good job. Do I suck as a person? Am I less valuable as an employee? Heck no. I've handled enough pkgs at UPS to know for sure I carry my weight.

Folks who have a natural ability to juggle the hassles of driving may not be able to stand inside work. It wouls be like being a caged animal to them. Many who kick butt on the inside wouldn't even consider trying to be a driver.

I've seen ex-military crash, burn and quit at UPS. Also seen middle-aged or youngsters fresh out of school kick butt on the preload.

We all have our value. One thing in common is we can never depend on UPS for our feelings of self worth. That must come from within.

Covemastah

We all have different skills. I can work the preload with no problem but tried air driving and it was terrible. Just don't have the assortment of skills necessary to do a good job. Do I suck as a person? Am I less valuable as an employee? Heck no. I've handled enough pkgs at UPS to know for sure I carry my weight.

Folks who have a natural ability to juggle the hassles of driving may not be able to stand inside work. It wouls be like being a caged animal to them. Many who kick butt on the inside wouldn't even consider trying to be a driver.

I've seen ex-military crash, burn and quit at UPS. Also seen middle-aged or youngsters fresh out of school kick butt on the preload.

We all have our value. One thing in common is we can never depend on UPS for our feelings of self worth. That must come from within.
well said

mgator39

My back feels alot better as a driver. I did preload for 8 years and it's killer on your back. But I would love to have those preload hours back. I get almost nothing done around the house. But the pay difference would make it hard to go back.