Driving wait

U

uber

How long is the wait in your building? I'm in Portland and have 5 years in. I'm being told 2 more years. Patience is hard, but I've committed a career with this company. Whats it like where you are?

DS

Fenderbender
How long is the wait in your building? I'm in Portland and have 5 years in. I'm being told 2 more years. Patience is hard, but I've committed a career with this company. Whats it like where you are?
This question has been asked 2817 times .
Best answer,talk to several drivers in the area .
It varies from city to city,state to state.

U

uber

I'm not asking about my area, I have a good idea when I'm going driving. I'm just trying to gauge how long of a wait it is in other areas in comparison to my area.

ocstreetracer

drive wait

Well I wouldn't get your hopes up too soon to drive. I have guys in my building that have been there close to 10 years & still ain't drivin. Once the economy and this country gets straightened out then we will see more divers on the road. Chapel hill, NC

brownrod

We have PTers with almost six years seniority who are still waiting for the opportunity to drive.

TheKid

It depends on alot of things. one of the things is the economy and how much your building is "growing". I would venture to guess that there is not too much "growing" going on out there.

PACNW

In my 20 car center (used to be 24) we put on a bunch of drivers in the early 2000's. Now we have 2 guys with start dates 2 months apart, 1 has been driving for 5 years, the other has been p/t for 7 years. Since the economy went bad the older drivers are scared to retire. We have 5 eligible that don't want to go.

d-rek357

I guess Knoxville tn is the worst, I've been here for 12 1/2 years still pt. Last guy to go full time was 2 or 3 years ago and he started in 1997. So i guess our wait is endless.

DorkHead

It`s all about timing. When I was on the preload, UPS was expanding. They doubled the preload and loaders went from 4 trucks to 3. 3 people in the trailers. Belt was slowed down. Became FT in a little over 3 yrs. Lately the wait is 7 to 9 yrs.

Dynomite

I'd really like to know the wait in the orlando hub and the longwood center. I am about to transfer to one of these places for education, and would like to know what I'm in for.

I'd really like to know the wait in the orlando hub and the longwood center. I am about to transfer to one of these places for education, and would like to know what I'm in for.

I don`t know about those two places but a general rule of thumb is the larger the buildings driver pool the greater the odds for quicker advancement. I`ve always been out of big buildings and went package in 31/2 and feeders 61/2 after that.

U

uber

I guess Knoxville tn is the worst, I've been here for 12 1/2 years still pt. Last guy to go full time was 2 or 3 years ago and he started in 1997. So i guess our wait is endless.

So in Knoxville you dont start making a decent career out of UPS until your almost 40?

Congrats on the patience, I couldnt do it.