Dumb questions

WESLA

It is what it is
I'm not a seasoned driver, I have the opportunity to so tcd work very occasionally, I do most of my driving running Saturday air. With that being said here is one of the most annoying things I run into
Me: would you like to sign for this?
Customer: oh no I can't sign for that, let me get my manger.
3 minutes later
Manager: who's it to?
Me: (name of business)
Manager: well what is it?
Me: it's a package ma'am.

Like why the hel would I know what it is!!!

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I'm not a seasoned driver, I have the opportunity to so tcd work very occasionally, I do most of my driving running Saturday air. With that being said here is one of the most annoying things I run into
Me: would you like to sign for this?
Customer: oh no I can't sign for that, let me get my manger.
3 minutes later
Manager: who's it to?
Me: (name of business)
Manager: well what is it?
Me: it's a package ma'am.

Like why the hel would I know what it is!!!

Never ask someone to sign for a package, kind of force the diad upon them and be like "sign here please"

If they say they need a manager, just tell them you're sorry that you don't have time to wait and turn around and leave

Indecisi0n

Customer: what is it?
Me: A box

That's normally followed by silence but if you listen very carefully you can hear the wheels turning in the customer head and they quietly say "That was a stupid question".

ManInBrown

Never ask someone to sign for a package, kind of force the diad upon them and be like "sign here please"

This. And I also assure them that they won't get in trouble for signing.

"I'm not sure I can sign"

"Yes you can. It will be fine"

And don't say can you sign?

Hand them the Diad and tell them to sign

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If they say they need a manager, just tell them you're sorry that you don't have time to wait and turn around and leave

I knew there was a reason you moved to feeders.

This. And I also assure them that they won't get in trouble for signing.

"I'm not sure I can sign"

"Yes you can. It will be fine"

And don't say can you sign?

Hand them the Diad and tell them to sign

There are retail establishments where only the manager or supervisor on duty are allowed to sign for packages. You very well could be getting that employee in trouble by convincing her it is OK to sign for packages.

Whenever they say they're not sure they can sign, I say "you work here right?" "Yes". "Well then you can sign".

See above.

There is a fine line between having a sense of urgency and being rude. The 3 posts I quoted above are all examples of being rude.

One of the hardest thing for cover drivers is trying to figure out who will or will not sign for packages, trying to remain polite while mindful that the clock is running.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
Dave is right.

People usually ask the "what is it?" question because they're excited/happy to be recieving something. It doesn't mean they're stupid.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Dave is right.

People usually ask the "what is it?" question because they're excited/happy to be recieving something. It doesn't mean they're stupid.

Don't get me wrong----the "what is it" question gets really old, but the point I was trying to make is you can be polite and still have that sense of urgency that we need to get done in a timely manner. Shoving the DIAD in their face is not being polite. Standing in line waiting for a signature is not displaying a sense of urgency.

Z

ZQXC

The love my customers have for me, is much greater than the dislike your customers have for you.

That's a whole lotta love.

Packmule

There are actually two kinds of customers who ask what's in it. Those who are just making conversation and those getgenuinely frustrated that I can't tell them the contents. The latter are the ones that burn up the clock digging out a packing list or insisting on opening the box before signing.
I usually let them since 3/4 of the boxes I deliver are half open anyway. Then I get, "oh yeah! I know what that is!" Then a signature and I'm on my way.
Just gotta read the customer.

WESLA

It is what it is

Leave with the package? And sheet it up as what?