DUP

AKX

If you run straight air in the morning then go back to places you made an air stop earlier to deliver ground they are seperate stops. However if you deliver 1 package other than a nda while at one of those stops and still return later to deliver ground because you couldnt find them all or didnt have time, etc. it is a duplicate stop.

So the same applies for a stop you were at earlier and couldnt find one whether its misloaded on your truck or the guy next to you. You return later to the same stop because it turned up, Duplicate stop

A buisness with a return sign that is outside of 12-1 I will go ahead and sheet NI1 and mark on the info notice I will either return between 2-5 or return the next day whichever is more applicable. Now when I return after 2 on my own will to reattempt it is a duplicate stop. However If I mark to return the next day but receive a diad message to reattempt the same day it is a seperate stop.

The only numbers that have ever mattered to me are the ones on my paycheck. Whether you get credit for the stop or not it pays the same.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I know every response here is an effort to help, but the simple fact is they are all wrong. These are questions for your management team and only they can tell you the proper procedure for your particular area. Just because Joe Blow does it that way in New York doesn't make it right in Kansas. As always be careful taking forum advise for matters that could affect your livelyhood in the future. Ask yourself if the time allowance for a stop is worth the chance of losing your job? Just so you know, allowance for a commercial stop is aproximately 90 seconds. Resi stop is 17 seconds. I doubt its worth the trouble you could be in if you do it wrong per your local management.

17 seconds?

AKCoverMan

​Nope! The second one is ifffy. It depends on how far out off my way I have to go to deliver.

I don't see it so iffy, Dilli. You get a certian amount of time for being at the stop, using DUP negates that. But no matter how close it is to trace later in the day you will have to go thru the stop routine a 2nd time to make service on the package, so you should get the allowance a 2nd time.

As others have pointed out this is more of an issue in a bonus center as hitting DUP or not may directly impact the drivers paycheck.

In my center we get read the riot act about once a year about how any stop at the same address is a DUP start except for NDA in the morning and 2DA/Ground in the afternoon if you can't do it all in the morning. We generally all go on doing it the way we do it. For me, if i am going to be hassled about over allowed I will put in the data that reflects what I really did. Which means if I have to make a physical 2nd stop, I will record it as a physical 2nd stop. If I find one more package while at the stop and have already closed the stop, then its a DUP. Let them fire me for being honest.

AKCoverMan

The only numbers that have ever mattered to me are the ones on my paycheck. Whether you get credit for the stop or not it pays the same.

But that's the point.. as I gather, if you are in a bonus center, getting credit for the stop DOES change what number appears on your paycheck. Frankly I am glad it is not that way in my center.

AKCoverMan

Yes, the actual stop allowance is 17 seconds. Everything else your still getting. DR allowance, package allowance, miles allowance. No need to possibly lose your job over it!!

Actually the stop allowance varies by area.. there is a report your oncar can pull called the Planned Day Report. Shows allowances by each area in the loop. It also varies by signature, or no signature. The allowance for putting in a floor number is a myth. You get a certian amount for the stop itself, plus a certian amount for each package handled at the stop. Hitting DUP negates the credit for the stop time but not for the package handling time. Also you still get credit for the miles to get back to the stop a 2nd time so that does add to your planned day time.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I don't see it so iffy, Dilli. You get a certian amount of time for being at the stop, using DUP negates that. But no matter how close it is to trace later in the day you will have to go thru the stop routine a 2nd time to make service on the package, so you should get the allowance a 2nd time.

As others have pointed out this is more of an issue in a bonus center as hitting DUP or not may directly impact the drivers paycheck.

In my center we get read the riot act about once a year about how any stop at the same address is a DUP start except for NDA in the morning and 2DA/Ground in the afternoon if you can't do it all in the morning. We generally all go on doing it the way we do it. For me, if i am going to be hassled about over allowed I will put in the data that reflects what I really did. Which means if I have to make a physical 2nd stop, I will record it as a physical 2nd stop. If I find one more package while at the stop and have already closed the stop, then its a DUP. Let them fire me for being honest.
I had to go back and re read what my 'iffy' comment pertained too. The 'iffy' was in reference to 'if' I even went back to the business that had the note posted, 'be back at 2.'. If that business is so far out of the way as to be stupid to return then I'm not even going back. I agree with not using the dup on a second stop at the same address. That includes delivering ground after having delivered air earlier. I pretty much, do it the same way that you do.

Packmule

We get told it is only a new stop if we are ordered by management to return. Otherwise dup. Don't agree, but it is what it is. Also been told DO NOT make second attempts on NDA. And only return if it is between 12 and 1. Don't always listen. Too customer focused I guess.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My route is fairly dense (much like the driver) and I always make second attempts on send agains, especially NDA's. These second attempts are duplicate stops unless I am directed by mgt to reattempt. I also do address corrections on road; however, these are an additional stop if the ADC is more than just a 911 number change. I rarely have paid send agains.

AKX

But that's the point.. as I gather, if you are in a bonus center, getting credit for the stop DOES change what number appears on your paycheck. Frankly I am glad it is not that way in my center.

This is true. I am not familiar with the bonus center and how all that works. Never heard of it till I came on here actually and I as well am glad to not be under the bonus system.

kingOFchester

I like the bonus system. It is nice to see 2-4 hours bonus on my check every week. More so come peak. UPS does not "service" it's customer do to a lot of the actions of management. Add cuts, splits, package cars loaded so that packages get crushed, loaders doing 4hr's worth of work in less then 3 causing missloads that result in missed, package cars that are not reliable resulting in break downs, cheating late airs as EC.....just to name a few.

Perhaps if UPS cared about the customer as much as the drivers that deal face to face with them, then maybe I too would not care about the bonus system. Unfortunately, UPS cares more about the bottom line then anything else. So, I feel no guilt about caring about my bottom line.

More power to you if you truly think about the customer first. I try my best to be professional, courteous, mindful of businesses that need to turn around their deliveries and careful. All though, I am working with the tools, training and the mentality from above that I am given to work with everyday.

Packmule

I too like my bonus center. I don't even try to make it, but it just shows up on the report everyday. 2 to 4 hours like King. Couple of hundred bucks a week. The key is fair time studies, not disservicing the customer.

kingOFchester

I too like my bonus center. I don't even try to make it, but it just shows up on the report everyday. 2 to 4 hours like King. Couple of hundred bucks a week. The key is fair time studies, not disservicing the customer.

Exactly! Some may ask, How do you make bonus without screwing customers or cheating? Easy, I take advantage of opportunities while I am working. Try to get grounds off with NDA's. Knock out a street if I am traveling down it while doing my NDA's. If I am traveling north on street "X" doing deliveries but will be traveling south later on, I will save the west side of street "X" until I pass through later rather then delivering the the East and West side as EDD dictates. I am friendly with customers but limit my communication to hello, can you sign, have a good day. I minimize any unnecessary double tracking even if that means not following EDD. I try to follow all methods, drive safe but maximize every second of the day.

This allows me to spend more time with the family, while not loosing out on pay.