EAM's counting towards 9.5

Elvis657

I am looking for locals where EAM time counts towards 9.5 calculations. The company in our local refuses to pay it. I'm taking it to panel next week to plead my case and I'm looking for help to make my case stronger. Thank in advance. I am 34 year full time driver.

35years

Gravy route
Consider these questions when fighting the good fight:

Does the EAM work stay on the same routes every week, or can it move to other routes depending on interest and seniority?

Has anyone been forced to do the EAM work in the past simply because of the route they are covering?

Essentially is UPS offering the extra work to everyone by seniority or is it "part of the route"

Here they came to the compromise that the hours doing EAM work and/or voluntary preloading prior to your shift would not count towards your 9.5 hours; but if your normal work exceeds 9.5 (after EAM work) those hours and day count.

It's a sticky situation since the EAM is often considered extra work....It depends how "volluntary" the EAM work is, if it is offered by seniority, and if it can move from route to route.

If it is volluntary extra work it would not count towards 9.5 hours...but extra work must be offered by seniority. If it is tied to certain routes and not voluntary it can't be considered extra work but rather part of the duties of the route, so then it would count towards 9.5.

Good luck.

Last edited:

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
It counts here. The only thing unique about my building from most others is we bid start times, not routes. So if you’re doing EAMs it’s built into your dispatch and definitely counts towards 9.5. Most people that bid the EAM start times are just looking to get done earlier.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Here they came to the compromise that the hours doing EAM work and/or voluntary preloading prior to your shift would not count towards your 9.5 hours; but if your normal work exceeds 9.5 (after EAM work) those hours and day count.

That's the real question.

Is the OP being dispatched with this work, or is it a volunteer type situation ?

Elvis657

It counts here. The only thing unique about my building from most others is we bid start times, not routes. So if you’re doing EAMs it’s built into your dispatch and definitely counts towards 9.5. Most people that bid the EAM start times are just looking to get done earlier.
We bid areas not start times…. But that’s the sole reason for me running EAMs. Earlier start time…. Thank you for your input.

542thruNthru

Dude man really…. It’s an earlier start time. Theoretically it should get me off earlier….

We bid areas not start times…. But that’s the sole reason for me running EAMs. Earlier start time…. Thank you for your input.
Trust me man. We all know why you're doing it. The issue is it's not your primary job. It's extra work. You are volunteering to perform this extra work. It's not being forced on you. I wish it worked that way but I don't see you winning this one.

Good luck though.

35years

Gravy route
It’s not assigned at this time.
Then it is voluntary extra work.

You can't ask to be relieved of OT and ask for it.

The best you can try for is counting the other (non EAMs) hours worked for 9.5 on the days you run EAMs

You may end up losing the EAM gig since you don't want the OT

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Here ESM’s is all voluntary, your hours are treated just like the hours you get working pre-load. 9.5 protection is to protect you from excessive “dispatched” hours. It doesn’t protect you against “volunteer” hours as those are volunteer and not mandatory. But hell….no hurt in asking.

542thruNthru

Wow! Finally your crappy supplement works out in your favor. ;)