Earth City Twilight Canceled - Question Here.

LVD*4*LIFE

I go into work despite terrible conditions here in STL. <winter storm> Pull up to work, literally, wife calls & says UPS called the house - sort cancelled.
Question - do I get my guaranteed 3 1/2 hours for showing up & not getting a call in time. My start is 5:30 - wife calls 5:05.
17 year part timer. First time this has happened.

retired2000

happen only once for me a long time ago bad snow storm i made it and the few of us that were there did the best we could for a few hours and then called it off.

This is a question for your BA or steward. Due to emergency conditions in the central region they are allowed to do this. Still talk to one of them because you cant use what you hear here.

LVD*4*LIFE

Right, understood. This would be a non issue if I got the call an hour earlier. Not as I was pulling into the parking lot. I miss work for nothing. Seriously.

LVD*4*LIFE

They have I-70 closed between St. Louis and Kansas City

UM.... I hope you are wrong. Last I heard Wentzille to KC closed . Big difference. Will check the PM news.
SOOOO. IS there any language regarding showing up for work.... sort shut down.... no prompt pnone call.

I would say there is a duel responsibility in extreme conditions. Since these are uncharted waters for everyone going thru this 2011 blizzard, I think UPS would be willing to work something out with you. Did you report to anyone when you got there so they would know that you were indeed there? The call was actually made before your start time (5:30) and I am sure it was witnessed by someone. My experience would say no they do not owe you by contract, but they may be willing to work with you for something. Good Luck.

We got the call but it was well before our scheduled start time. I don`t know if there is wording in the contract as far as how far in advance they must call.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
We have grievances around X-Mas for the same issue.

People came to work not knowing the shift was cancelled and never recieved a phone call.

THe company refused to settle the grievances the past two months and pay anything despite knowing they wronged the people, I'll let you know what happened.

IMO chalk it up as experience points. The company and your mgnt team has no regard for it's employees, so next time you have an issue keep this in mind.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I got a call from a fellow driver this morning at 8:15 telling me he just was sent home because no feeders came into Wichita today, nor left last night. Company never called anyone. I called in and asked what was going on. They said Uh, not sure yet. Right now we have you planned to get your pickups only. Can you do that? I will plan on going in later but, If I had gone all the way in I would dang sure be filling for my show up pay.

UPSSOCKS

ACT OF GOD!!!!!!! You don't have a leg to stand on. We shut down some of our sorts as well. Well we shut them down to union folk that is. We still had a very productive sort using salary employees that would have got paid regardless....