Economy Overnight (new service?)

SmithBarney

So we saw a new label today(at express) it said "Economy Overnight 4:30"
Package only came from one state away, but astra indicated it traveled by way of MEMH(X)
MGRs didn't have anything to say about it, but had previously mentioned that
FXE's new ad blitz will probably come this fall offering 4:30 commit anywhere in the country.

So I thought I'd throw it out for discussion.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
What service area was it for? AM areas have standard overnight commit times of 1630; PM areas have priority overnight commit times of 1630. Most of the rest of the areas have standard overnight commit times of 1500.

thedownhillEXPRESS

I did hear a few months ago that we were looking at toying around with SOS (from a fairly high source).

I thought at the time that when we lost E2 and XS that we may try and offer several different tiers of next day commit time in the SOS cycle.
Could be some proof of that.

Lordtekk

Wouldn't people who use SO switch to EO if it's cheaper ? I'm always amazed at this company. You want to make money ? Stop delivering ES,XS,SO with PO's. Problem solved. Your welcome.

RTURNSONLY

One manager recently told us that, past this october, Express will become a pure overnight company, offering only 3 services; FO, P1 and EO (commit. time 16:30).

vantexan

Hardly seems like a long split will happen with the EO service. Of course those of us in extended areas probably will only have PO and FO.

thedownhillEXPRESS

Hardly seems like a long split will happen with the EO service. Of course those of us in extended areas probably will only have PO and FO.

There may be a wild card in here van, perhaps they will be upgrading a lot of areas to earlier service commit times for p1, opening up the door for eo.
Without e2 or XS it seems logical.
I have no knowledge of that but it's a good possibility.

vantexan

There may be a wild card in here van, perhaps they will be upgrading a lot of areas to earlier service commit times for p1, opening up the door for eo.
Without e2 or XS it seems logical.
I have no knowledge of that but it's a good possibility.

I guess that's possible but I cover such a huge area would be pretty difficult to make a 1200 P1 commit instead of 1630. What I really want to know is when this is all supposed to start? October is the announcement but doesn't seem likely they can just turn on a switch. Dynamic ROADS is supposed to happen soon and yet at my station there has been no real effort to train us or even speak about it. I've no doubt we won't see any OT but looks very possible we may get close to 40 hrs with this new service.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Wouldn't people who use SO switch to EO if it's cheaper ? I'm always amazed at this company. You want to make money ? Stop delivering ES,XS,SO with PO's. Problem solved. Your welcome.

That's not necessarily cheaper. Those extra trips to those stops can cost a nice chunk of money. If you want to put an end to delivering ES and XS before the day that it's due, I'm with you on that. In some (all?) areas you're not allowed to deliver a 2 day AM package a day early, but you can deliver an XS the day after it was sent if it arrives in time. That's crazy.

morgan

even better stop delivering packages that are a day or two early. customers arent stupid if they know that they can send an express saver and usually have it there the next day, alot of times by 1030, why woulnd'nt they? the only way to look at that is as revenue potential lost.