EDD putting Commits in Load?

BigBrownSanta

The more I read about how the system works, the more I realize the disconnect between what I am able to do and what someone above me thinks I can do.

Do you really believe it's more efficient to have me dig for a NDA buried in the load or on the floor rather than take it off the shelf in section 1? I still don't understand the logic. What you've stated makes sense if we were talking about NDA Savers.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you are having an issue with finding all of your NDAs ask your loader not to load any of them (except for RDL/RDC/RDR bulk stops) so that you can go through them and put them where you want them.

local804

Many times we leave the building around the 9:20-9:30 mark with aprrox 10-20 air stops per driver. After the drive to the route, I would hope all the air is in the 1000 area and is within your arms reach. Imo dumb move to place air anywhere other that the 1k shelf(unless overweight or oversize). Might look good somewhere on paper but not in the real UPS delivery world.

pretzel_man

The more I read about how the system works, the more I realize the disconnect between what I am able to do and what someone above me thinks I can do.

Do you really believe it's more efficient to have me dig for a NDA buried in the load or on the floor rather than take it off the shelf in section 1? I still don't understand the logic. What you've stated makes sense if we were talking about NDA Savers.

Santa,

The system works best when the drivers and management collaborate.

How much of your AM ground is delvered in trace while you're delivering the NDA???

That's the question to ask. If your morning routine requires that you deliver air mostly with little ground in trace, the PDS can set the system to put ALL the air in the 1000 section. It takes about a minute.

P-Man

Overpaid Union Thug

Many times we leave the building around the 9:20-9:30 mark with aprrox 10-20 air stops per driver. After the drive to the route, I would hope all the air is in the 1000 area and is within your arms reach. Imo dumb move to place air anywhere other that the 1k shelf(unless overweight or oversize). Might look good somewhere on paper but not in the real UPS delivery world.

Sounds like your center needs to start the preload a little earlier? Or maybe the feeder runs are jacked up and causing the preload to have to start later? We don't even leave that late during peak.

BigBrownSanta

Let me perfectly clear, ALL my NDA is loaded in section 1.

Scratch said that some of his NDA were loaded with the ground. Browniehound said that he had a pcm saying that air will start to be loaded with ground. To me, that makes no sense. It's completely backwards. Most days I can't even reach beyond the bulk head door and now they want me to dig for air that's buried farther in the load.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, everyone from the CEO on down should have to qualify yearly by running a route for a week and making scratch at least once, if for no other reason but to justify their decisions.

Overpaid Union Thug

I've said it before and I'll say it again, everyone from the CEO on down should have to qualify yearly by running a route for a week and making scratch at least once, if for no other reason but to justify their decisions.

I'll take it even farther than that.....I believe that someone would have to be a driver for at least 5 years before they can step into full-time management. The same for part-time supervisors. They should work in the operations for at least 2 years or so. Those numbers could be tweaked but you get the idea.

helenofcalifornia

I can't even imagine the pressure you have if you leave at 9:30 and have 10-20 stops of air to get off. Of course you have absolutely zero time for ground. Yeah, preload needs to start earlier or feeders are screwing you over big time!

LeddySS98

If the EDD 'thinks' you can make it to the stop following the trace prior to the commit time it will load it in sequence order at my center. It use to be a real pain with Savers. At my center a Business Saver has a commit time of 1500 where as a Resi Saver has no commit time.

The Resi part of my load always at the end of the day pal'd to the 7000/8000 shelves would put all the savers over on the 1000 shelf.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
You weren't arguing, which was actually refreshing around here :happy-very:

Every center is setup differently, it may be that they started something at your center and just haven't finished it. Surprise Surprise.

It may also be that the dispatch Sup doesn't entirely know what's going on.

I think the end game is to get everybody working like this at somepoint just to cut down stops, save time, and more importantly right now, money from fuel.

If your board isn't telling you to deliver the ground packages, then it doesn't sound like an issue right now.

If you know you have ground going to same address, even if your board doesn't tell you, don't feel like a Monkey and wait to deliver the ground. If you have time, do it.

As has been mentioned before it is a huge competitive advantage over the competition.

Also with your customers who say "wow you were able to start delivering the ground with the air" say "Yeah, It's UPS, it's what we do. Say do you use anybody else for your shipping?" "Can I have somebody get in touch with you to see what we can do to take care of all your shipping?"

And while your taking your wife out to eat, or the kids to the mall because you have more time at the end of your day, enjoy the nice Amex card.

As far as im concerned, many management folks dont want us spending the minute or two to do this. The reason is clear when so many drivers are questioned about this or that, why they were at a stop for an extra minute, etc, etc. Maybe the driver was putting pkgs in a back room, up the stairs, etc, etc. Please answer why everybody knows at ups that the drivers are the face of this company, they are usually the ones who get reps in the door, who forge the relationships, who usually has to say sorry for a multitude of reasons, sometimes managements mistakes, but are usually the ones that are never trusted and many are really treated like absolute crap, its a shame... period. Its just the same ol, same ol, nothing will ever change, no matter how many surveys people fill out, they just dont care. Havent anyone heard the statement happy employees are productive employees, guess nobody received that memo.

brownracer

There is a program used by PDS called Dispatch Planning System (DPS.) This program is used to build loads. As part of the program it tries to predict when NDAs can be delivered on time with other packages in the load. Those that cannot be delivered by commit with the other packages are put in section 1000 and referred to as being "jackpotted." Not all preloads utilize this method as evidenced by some placing all NDAs in the first section. I hope this answers the question. As posted earlier, EDD displays these combinations in the DIAD.

myback

its free shipping days at ups. unable to find nda, oh well, maybe tommorow. what a bunch of over-educated dung heads. how did we make it this far without pas/edd. they are the ones who fixed it so i'll let them unfix it as well. fyi doesn't have to mean: for your information.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
I am wondering if this is going on everywhere or just some glitch in my Center.

Yesterday, we got out of the building a little late because of a delayed flight.
I pulled EDD, and I couldn't find one of my 10:30 Commits. It was on the Commit List, just not loaded in the 1000 Section where it should be. After much looking and waiting, I called my OnCar and was told to leave without it. I had another NDA in the same neighborhood as the missing one, and this is when I noticed that EDD had the missing package in the Commit List, but the sequence number was 2928 instead of a low 1000 number. I looked at the end of the 2000 Section, and sure enough, there it was, loaded in with the rest of the ground. My PAS Supe was puzzled by this too.

Today, I had another one. I understand that one advantage of EDD is that we are to deliver NDA and Ground together. The early version would put the stop in the 1000 Section, then I had to scroll the Whole List to figure out where EDD put the Ground Stop on that particular day. I am just wondering if the Commits are now being loaded in the Load with Ground so we can pull all the packages off from the same shelf instead of two different places.

Apparently this came down from corporate, they want the NDA to go itno the load just like everything else. "Supposibly" you will deliever to those locations prior to the commit time.

This is what a driver said to me when I explained that they were following the automatic dispatch and the NDA's were all over the place.

He said "NDA's are supposed to be one of the most important packages delievered, if UPS has stopped caring, I guess I will have to redirect myself and do the same". :slap:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
All my 10:30 commits have gone back to the low 1000 Section, where they were before. I still prefer to put all of them in a Tote Box, in the order I deliver them (which is the exact opposite order that EDD lists them). I have noticed that my Next Day Savers are going in the load in all eight sections. I like that, my area is about 95% residential.

local804

Sounds like your center needs to start the preload a little earlier? Or maybe the feeder runs are jacked up and causing the preload to have to start later? We don't even leave that late during peak.

Its a little more than our center, its more of a district wide problem.

upsdude

We start at 8:15, drivers facing the "outside" are rolling out at 8:20-8:25. The others hit the street at 8:30-8:35.

I don't care where my air is as long as I can reach it. It bothers me that some routes don't have the air and ground together in the board. I hate scrolling down to see if I have ground for a stop. Much quicker to hit the details button to find it.