Employee Being Harrased by Coworkers

Returntosender

negligent retention. A type of employment-related claim in which a plaintiff asserts that an employer failed to discharge an employee who management knew, or should have known, had a propensity toward violence, sexual harassment, or dishonesty

FilingBluesFL

We used to have this huge body builder dude that worked preload when I did.

Dude wore a faded red polo shirt to work one day (that would be a PINK polo...)

We gave him crap for it, wearing a pink shirt and being a body builder.

Dude would have breakdowns and cry because of the teasing...

I'm sure it was emotional mood swings due to the steroids he was taking.

Funny stuff though, a huge body builder crying his eyes out...

PT Car Washer

We used to have this huge body builder dude that worked preload when I did.

Dude wore a faded red polo shirt to work one day (that would be a PINK polo...)

We gave him crap for it, wearing a pink shirt and being a body builder.

Dude would have breakdowns and cry because of the teasing...

I'm sure it was emotional mood swings due to the steroids he was taking.

Funny stuff though, a huge body builder crying his eyes out...
I don't think I would have done that. Teasing a body builder on steroids about his sexual orientation? Lucky he did not break you in half and throw you behind a false wall in an out bound trailer.

FilingBluesFL

If he started touching me, that would just verify that he's all in it for the dudes.

It's like a built in insurance policy against him touching me ;)

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Knowing there's an issue and not doing anything to correct it falls directly on your shoulders. Everyone deserves to work in a harassment free environment, just because the previous sup did nothing doesn't give you a pass, it makes you no better than the trash that's picking on this guy. If a grown man/woman comes to you with an issue like this, the employee just didn't up and decide one day it was bothering him, it has slowly gotten to the point where it's bothering him to ask for help, you're one step from this guy quitting or having an altercation. The first thing they are going to ask him is who did he go to when the :censored2: hits the fan, your name is going to come up, then you can kiss your ass goodbye, and rightfully so, maybe they'll get someone with some balls to actually step up and let the employees know that harassment and intimidation in the workplace is no joke.

One way to try and defuse the situation is pass out paperwork on UPS's policy on workplace harassment, have a PCM on it, and explain there have been instances you've seen that can be construed as such. If it continues, bring the bully and the victim, along with a steward, into the office and start addressing it one on one, don't make it seem the employee has come to you, just that you've been made aware of it or have noticed it. If it continues to go on, get with the steward and your immediate supervisor, bringing him in on the issue. Once you bust one of these punks in the face ( making them aware you're about to terminate any further instances as UPS has a zero tolerance on harassment) the other thugs will fall in line, or better yet, get themselves terminated. Bringing another supervisor into the mix also gives you an accountability partner to bounce ideas off off on how to handle this situation and forces their hand into doing something with you as well. In case it does blow up, you'll have documentation you've tried to defuse the situation, protecting yourself and helping the employee as the same time.