Employee Relations- ERI

I

interested

Hang tight part time John-We are trying to use reasonable discourse to get to the bottom of just that question. I have my own strong feelings on the subject related in this thread. Also, scroll down and check out the thread-Why won't Ups take care of it's own? There is some interesting insight into what we have been discussing here.

D

dammor

"Care to {deleted by moderator} there part timer forever?"

Tie, you really need to clean it up. Fight whatever fight you choose, but stop using the language that is insulting and just plain ignorant sounding to more people than you know.

Interested, your insight is a welcome breeze.
I hope you stay awhile.

(Message edited by dammor on October 09, 2003)

T

tieguy

Tie,
Maybe I am missing something here.

Perhaps I'm missing something. I believe charity is ultimately a personal decision. I've said why I think UW is the right way to go. Not because I think of UW as a charity but because a UW organized organziation working solely to collect funds to help our charities will be much more efficent then having grass roots volunteers trying to do the same thing. I can sell UW with passion but thats it. I'm not going to try to coerce or threaten anyone. We made our goal this year with less people overall due to retirements and without going back to anyone to pressure them. That would be demeaning to me as well as the individual that I do it to. I have one driver that is giving 100 dollars a week because he feels that strongly about the united way. His action is actually humbling to me that I didn't give more. I have many that gave 10 or more dollars a week. I have others that don't give because they already have thier own thing or because they think the UW is crooked or because they think they are punishing UPS for past sins. Don't screw your community because you think I or someone previous boss is an <font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font>. ( Sorry Cheryl give me 10 hail marys) If you organize a protest against UW because you think some bosses were heavyhanded in collection your doing the same thing. My objection is not with your perception of how we have supported the UW but in organizing any type of protest because of it.
You don't have to be part of the problem. Ask them to help thier community tell them why you think its the right thing to do and leave it at that. It is what it is. If you browbeat them or you organize the boycott you become every bit the problem. If you actually have a boss that expects you to do more than sell community support with passion then call the 1-800 integrity line or tell him that you believe its illegal to harrass people into giving and your not doing it. He'll get over it.

I

interested

Tie,

By no means am I organizing a protest of United Way. I firmly believe in their cause and the cause of all charities. You don't have to give through Ups to give to United Way. You can contribute on your own accord.

My point is-Ups has definitely lost many UW donations that good hearted employees would like to have contributed because of their heavy handed tactics. I believe if they overhauled the process Ups and United Way would benefit tremendously.

Where did you get the idea that I wanted to boycott the United Way?

T

tieguy

"Care to {deleted by moderator} there part timer forever?"

"Tie, you really need to clean it up. Fight whatever fight you choose, but stop using the language that is insulting and just plain ignorant sounding to more people than you know."

Actually Dammor I did clean it up by using the correct anatomical reference. My first instinct was to use the word <font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font>.

C

cheryl

Please... don't degrade this board with trash talk...

I've added a new icon with the label "Report" to the top right side of every page on this board that makes it quick &amp; easy to report offensive or inappropriate posts. Please don't hesitate to use it...

T

tieguy

Yep the judge has weighed in . My apologies to all except pt jon

R

reality

first off,,tieguy get off your cross.id have to assume your some part time sup because we all know full time operations sups have no time for the internet.the Uw is forced down hourly and management throats,,its bragging rights

P

parttimejon

and why do i not deserve the appoligy of the all might ups supervisor. look i wasn't trying to be an idiot and just ruffle feathers here. i'm actually trying to figure out why our most of our sups think the way they do. but my question is still open to debate. Why are the ups sups forced to give to the uw and (i'll add alittle more to it). Why is the stock they own important when being promoted.(a manager let me in on that secret). shouldn't it be based on qualifications?

O

omegaman

ERI.....what a joke. It is easily manipulated by some in management. They only let their pet employees take it, then take it themselves for all the others. This has been going on in my center for years. I was told by one Stup that the manager instructs them to do so. He then said he would deny it if asked.

O

over9five

I agree. Management is only too happy to excuse people who dont want to do the ERI. I imagine they then take the survey for them, so that it appears everyone participated.

J

jackvette

Omegaman, Over9Five,

As a long time UPS manager, I've never seen what you assert.....

If it really did happen, call the ethics hot line. That is totally unacceptable.

It should be easy to prove if it really happened.

The ball is in your court. I know of no division, district, or region managers that would allow this to continue if they knew about it.

Do something...

Jack

P

proups

I agree with Jackvette. That is unacceptable.

Ask your sups what their participation rate on the ERI is and compare it to the number of people that you think took the survey. It probably comes pretty close.....

T

tieguy

Most of our people are at least somewhat satisfied with thier job. They may have individual issues that they are unhappy with but overall they are satisfied. The malcontents of the company have a responsibility problem. They cannot accept the idea that they are one of a few that have an attitude problem. They fool thierselves into believing they are one of many who are miserably unhappy. When the Eri comes out with results that are better than they wish to admit to they then try to accuse us of fixing the survey. If anything we have tried to get our people to seperate out the issues. Give us a yes or a no answer don't give us the undecided maybe. If you believe corporate is screwing you put it into the comments section. Save the actual survey for your supervisor who we can fix.

U

upsdude

Why not mail me a password and let me log into the system and take the ERI at home?
I was forced to take the ERI at start time knowing I had about 25 air stops waiting on me.
I cant imagine how the results for our center can be very good. Ive been posting on this board for quite a while and my post are 90% pro UPS. We have major problems in my area. The moral is lower than Ive ever seen and the management team has developed the most negative attitudes Ive ever experienced, anywhere. I actually broke up a near fight between a PT and FT supervisor a couple of weeks ago.

Tieguy

My Manager said the results wouldnt be available until December. I dont buy it.

I

interested

The Eri in our area has actually gotten a lot better. Not that the results are so much different, but the manner in which the ERI has been given is much, much better. It used to be like everything else, rushed. In the last few years there is more emphasis on an organized ERI. Employees have much more time available to take the survey and the ERI in itself has been streamlined.

As far as the results from the ERI being manipualted, tough question to answer. Without an independent outside company to administer and collect the results of the ERI we can never be sure that Ups doesn't tweak the survey in their favor. The fact that the ERI is still so inconsistent with respect to when the results are released, and what weight they place on those results leads me to belive the ERI is less than the almighty measuring tool of morale it has long been touted. As I mentioned, I would love to see an independent entity control the ERI from start to finish and see where we are at.

I also believe that our morale is at an extremely low point in Ups. We are facing pressures from our competitors that we have never seen before. FedEx has made enormous strides in the last few years and we have had to fight to stay up with them. This has forced Management to get an even tighter grip on the control knob, and it is begining to really place stress on an already incredibly high pressure company to work for.

Something will have to give soon.

L

local804

The results are in for the ERI in my building.Management says the results are very good but not as good as he expected.Maybe now he should use the ERI to take a good look at the center team and see what he can improve.Any middle managment person can run a center with 70 trained drivers, its just the ones that could make the job run better and smoother are the ones who count.

D

dammor

"The malcontents of the company have a responsibility problem. They cannot accept the idea that they are one of a few that have an attitude problem."

Tie, sometimes you sound very sane. Other times you come across as as a total idiot. The second sceniaro would be the case here. Most of us at UPS have a good attitude, but we have to fight to keep it. Don't even try and tell me you have a true feel of what is going on in the street. You are working with numbers, we are working with people.