Entire paycheck for initiation fee???

RolloTony Brown Town

I sound like management and you sound like a teamster.

Who told you it was a company error? I spoke to district finance manager. The local sends in the request. The local has the right to the initiation fee if they request it. Company can’t stop it.

Boston25

I sound like management and you sound like a teamster.

Who told you it was a company error? I spoke to district finance manager. The local sends in the request. The local has the right to the initiation fee if they request it. Company can’t stop it.
Yeah you sound just like the manager I talked to. For all I know you are him. Did you ask the finance manager why they held on to all of the dues applications to all the employees? And not turn them into the union per the contract? Did you also ask him why for YEARS ups has let casuals and seasonal workers come in and work union jobs and not pay dues? I'm sorry but if you applied for a union job whether it's seasonal or permanent you should pay your fair share of dues.

PT Car Washer

I disagree.
The company should have protected it's employees. This dumb move will lose us employees during Peak when we need them most. Don't you think the company should have done that? Wasn't it you who said the company had you sign a form that said the money would be taken out in small installments? Isn't that an agreement between you and the company?
I disagree. It is the Union's job to protect the workers from the company. This is all on the Teamster Union.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Been at ups for 3 months and they have been taking out my initiation fee for the last 3 weeks at 32$ per week. No problem there. This past week after working overtime the week before etc I look at my check...zero, zilch, nada. No check? All to union for initiation fee? Yes, no mistake all of it went to that. Right before Christmas,no explanation no warning no nothing. Wow. Anyone heard of this?? Btw they did it to everyone in Massachusetts hubs.

Be thankful you have a job Pete. Stop being so gosh darn ungrateful

PT Car Washer

Yeah you sound just like the manager I talked to. For all I know you are him. Did you ask the finance manager why they held on to all of the dues applications to all the employees? And not turn them into the union per the contract? Did you also ask him why for YEARS ups has let casuals and seasonal workers come in and work union jobs and not pay dues? I'm sorry but if you applied for a union job whether it's seasonal or permanent you should pay your fair share of dues.
Do you really expect seasonal employees or starting PT earning minimum wage and no benefits to pay $500 initiation fees and 2 1/2 X their hourly rate monthly Union dues for a job that last for a month or two? This does not sound like the Union is there to protect the workers from the evil corporate company.

Boston25

Do you really expect seasonal employees or starting PT earning minimum wage and no benefits to pay $500 initiation fees and 2 1/2 X their hourly rate monthly Union dues for a job that last for a month or two? This does not sound like the Union is there to protect the workers from the evil corporate company.

No but I expect them to pay their share of dues doing a union job. I have had to represent a lot of these seasonal employees and if they aren't paying dues they get the services for free?

PT Car Washer

No but I expect them to pay their share of dues doing a union job. I have had to represent a lot of these seasonal employees and if they aren't paying dues they get the services for free?
Union jobs should not be minimum wage and no benefits. That is why the Union and it's members fought and sometimes died to force the companies to pay us a fair wage and benefits.

Boston25

Were there walk outs in Chema ??
I heard this happen at Southie & Somma as well !!
I also heard there has been a whole group of employees that haven't been paying union dues for a long time before peak even started. And we have been chasing management to rectify the issue for awhile now.

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba

when you represent these guys, are you on the clock getting paid by the company? or are you getting paid like a private contractor from your local out of a fund made up from union dues and initiation fees?

UPS negotiated into our union contract a free period clearly stating that all days worked during said period DO NOT COUNT towards getting a permanent job at UPS. seasonal help are all hired with the understanding that the job ends after peak with the possibility of rehire afterwards. why the hell would the union want any money from employees that they agreed during contract negotiations where temporary??? wait for the potential rehire after peak and stick your greedy hand out then.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive

I agree they should pay dues but not a 500 dollar initiation fee for a minimum wage job that ends in a few weeks. That fee should be paid when you make book.

I am a member of IAM and our union does not deduct from new hire full time mechanics until after they make book. Then it’s a 500 dollar fee and back dues taken out in payments....

F

Frankie's Friend

The company is writing up temps for what? And representing "a lot of" temps? The company is just glad to have a body there at peak and I've seen a temp driver driving when stoned out on drugs of unknown origin, admitted to it, and they moved the temp driver to a golf cart position!
Come on. No temp has ever been written up here for anything. They just quit calling them in for work if they dont want them back and since they dont have seniority they go away.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
The company is writing up temps for what? And representing "a lot of" temps? The company is just glad to have a body there at peak and I've seen a temp driver driving when stoned out on drugs of unknown origin, admitted to it, and they moved the temp driver to a golf cart position!
Come on. No temp has ever been written up here for anything. They just quit calling them in for work if they dont want them back and since they dont have seniority they go away.

This exactly. The company is desperate for anything with a pulse. We've gone through dozens of people in the last couple months. (Which for my little center, is a lot).

We don't even fire them when they show up two or three days a week! Just be glad they showed, and give them work, I guess.