ERI Survey

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
Always take the survey, and always give the lowest score possible, irrespective of whether you are happy or not.

If you can get all the drivers in your group to stick together and give the center the lowest score possible, who knows, maybe they will do something, even if it's just bringing in donuts and coffee every friday to try and cheer everybody up :wink:.

Yeah, first lie about it. Then get everyone else to lie.. :mad:

So, even if you're happy you'd lie. What a cheap shot!! No wonder you're unhappy.:wink:

Just Lurking

Remember not to respond right in the center/don't care/Don'y know. Choose one way or the other slighly.
We were told that total number of answers to each question varied because center responses were discarded.

MacLeod82

Disgruntled Pkg Handler
I think they threw out the results from our last 2 ERIs, I haven't seen that board up in forever. I know at least this last time was never posted.

tieguy

Banned
interesting thread.

The ErI is on every management persons balanced scorecard which is how they are rated. There are some divison managers that could care less about the ERI most have enough sense to know that a bad eri score hurts their balanced scorecard for a year.

Your immediate sup has the most contact with you therefore we usually ask you to rate him/ her.

The comments are great for giving that special someone some direct feedback.

Dutch Dawg

Unfortunately the ERI is viewed by many as just another version of twisted statistical information compiled and presented on paper by managers.

Little good is the information presented, if there exists as many disbelievers as believers in the format by which it's presented.

If indeed the company structure wanted our opinions they would dedicate the time for annual TLA's to enable all to have a better understanding of the past, present, and future of UPS

Last edited:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
OK since I have been told by the people I respect on here that I should take it, I will.

I saw it with an evil glow sitting in the corner waiting for someone to come and sign in.

My NOW immediate sup said I am grading him, which I would say hes great.
I do not want the credit of my positiveness go to someone undeserving.

So I will ask my center manager in the morning. If all goes as normal, I will get a different answer from everyone I poll.

If thats the case I will take it and give all middle of the road answers. But at least no one can take it for me, which if we all at UPS have integrity this could not be an issue.

Brown Assassin

Underpaid for too long
Your immediate sup has the most contact with you therefore we usually ask you to rate him/ her.

The comments are great for giving that special someone some direct feedback.

I see its ERI time again.......how wonderful.:wink:

That's the problem sometimes.......for sups and managers. The ERI is stated to affect your immediate manager. So now you have lets say, 5 admin that love their sup, but hate the manager above him. What do they do? The Sup's hands are tied because the manager tells him what to do to the admins. The admins know the sup is not the one screwing with them since he used to be one of them until he got promoted....so what is the basic outcome? The admins (or sups, however it applies) take the ERI and slam their managers and sups to indirectly hurt those at the next level.

Funny thing is, last year, our team was understaffed and busy with multiple projects, that about 6 or 7 folks forgot to take the ERI. The upper level managers flipped.......they were more concerned that no one gave a crap about the ERI even to slam them with bad scores.

In the end......I'm not sure how effective it is. Some feel they are venting, but at the end of the day, if management wants to chnage things, they will. Otherwise, they still get their pay, bonus, and stock.....regardless of how happy you and I are.

bobcat

Fisherman
As a manager, I always valued the ERI. I once had a manager in place that was not as respected in his work as he should have been. I have always walked around and talked to the people in his area, but some of them did not feel comfortable discussing their manager with me. The quieter people need to be heard and the ERI was the way I heard from them. Some times the more outspoken people are very constructive sometimes not. But every one should be heard. This manager got a pretty poor ERI and I decided that it was better to remove him from his position and bring him closer to me so that I could coach him in his skills. It turns out that he never really improved so we brought him back to a supervisors position and put him in a place that he could still contribute but not create people issues. The problems may have surfaced without the ERI but I think I found out much earlier because of it and likely heard from people that otherwise would not have spoken up. I read every comment in the ERI and you can bet I take them seriously. I imagine that not every management person takes this as seriously as I do but I bet Tie does also.

Brown Assassin

Underpaid for too long
Bobcat, in my time at Brown, I was fortunate to work work for good sups and managers. It was the management team past them that made life difficult, withheld promotions, and just plain didn't care about the little people that made them look good. After a few attempts at utilizing the ERI for what it was meant to do and nothing was done, people began to realize that taking it was a waste of time.

Its a shame.....I always saw myself retiring with the compnay and found leaving was the hardest thing I ever did. But, when you are held back with nowhere to go, you have to do something to pay the bills and put food on the table.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Great post bobcat, and that is what a manager should do, manage his people. And someone who can see if someone isnt cut out for the position they acquired to quietly move them back where they can be productive. Ive had great sups who went on to mgr and are great at it. they get respect because they deserve it, and the crew will do whatever it takes to help him succeed. And ive seen ones and worked under them where I just scratch my head. Nice people, no skills, no knowledge, and they get overwhelmed, and then they act hostile because they do not know how to handle the position.
Have a great labor day all!!

rngri4

When only 10 people take the ERI, it means the center team can take the ERI for all the people who didn't. It's called 100% participation.

And you know the 40 the team does for you guys are all gonna be positive!

So I agree. Take the ERI!

I don't know about where you are, but here, 100% of all staff takes it, and there is a signoff sheet for everyone. I think that is the best way to do it, give everyone a fair chance to voice their concers positive or negative.

over9five

Staff member
"..and there is a signoff sheet for everyone."

I agree. Everyone should take it. I think they skew the results when they give them to us, but someone, somewhere KNOWS how we feel!

Thebrowntruth

[

I agree. Everyone should take it. I think they skew the results when they give them to us, but someone, somewhere KNOWS how we feel![/quote]

Over,

I honestly dont think they do anymore...the ERI is supposed to rate your immediate supervisors, etc. The same poor fools that have NO SAY whatsoever in how many routes go out or what the "planned" day per driver is. My drivers knew the rock and the hard place i was between and overall didnt slam me at ERI time, in fact it went up. The problem is NO ONE can convey the problems we all see each day through the ERI. Nobody upstairs seems to realize what we are facing each day, but then again not many of them ever were behind the wheel of a package car.

rngri4

"..and there is a signoff sheet for everyone."

I agree. Everyone should take it. I think they skew the results when they give them to us, but someone, somewhere KNOWS how we feel!

Wow, I gotta say, I have taken it I guess four years, and you have just told me something I never knew. I have never been given the results in that time, and neither has anyone else at our center. I just figured they went into a central computer server and stayed. Very interesting, what a nice question to ask my center manager tomorrow.

over9five

Staff member
Really? We get the results sorted by sup group. Your center manager gets the results, you should ask why he doesn't share them. They start us early just to go over the results.

The reason I say they have skewed the results is the paper that reports the result one time showed 28 people in our sup group. There were only 16 of us....

rngri4

Really? We get the results sorted by sup group. Your center manager gets the results, you should ask why he doesn't share them. They start us early just to go over the results.

The reason I say they have skewed the results is the paper that reports the result one time showed 28 people in our sup group. There were only 16 of us....

Thats a question I will ask as soon as our center manager steps in the door at 0700 tomorrow morning...thanks for the info that the results are actually made available to us...someone is lying here somewhere!

Cezanne

To maybe answer the question to why you suddenly have twice of many supervisors in you ERI survey than you actually have is that many of the people who take this thing lie about their positions and seniority. They don't feel free enough to trust that the company could not make them out and retaliate. True story: many a year ago during one of these ERI surveys we had a manager who filled out this report for our body of workers, same manager was terminated about two years later for the cardinal sin of fudging the numbers. Guessing the first incident was not sufficent for a dishonesty charge, that should tell you something about the integrity of this report.