Ever use this button when delivering?

Lobofan5

Just wondering how many people have used the "deceased" option when putting in a non delivery reason...

any good stories???

Just wondering how many people have used the "deceased" option when putting in a non delivery reason...

any good stories???

I've used it about 3 times over 12 years. The last one was from qwest (a cell phone I think) her son answered the door and said his mother died. The time before it was a mans medication. His wife answered and just said he didn't need it any more he passed away last night. It sounded like he was termanally ill for a while.

Just Lurking

any good stories???

Unfortunately yes.

I had one house that I had not delivered to in 8 years on my route. One day I started getting QVC packages. At first its was just a trickle than ended at about 4-5 a day and lasted about 3 months. She ended up being the nicest lady that I have ever delivered to.

SmithBarney

I used it once as well, went up to the house....
started to DR, then a neighbor came up and said they had died..

In an unfortunate twist... it was a box of flowers.

DS

Fenderbender
had one a month ago ...lady came out to my truck and told me to rts it as the patient had died.next day I had a melaleuca pkg for the same add...left a del notice
and the next day the lady left me a note to leave it so I did.and she pulled up beside me later asked me why I didnt leave the pkg,I said
its medicine and I was not sure if I should...she looked at me and
laid a patch and shook her head like I`m a maroon.jeez

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
Used it a couple of weeks ago. One of my monthly adult diaper deliveries. She lived with her daughter and she told me just to send them back. Most of the time when someone has ever refused the stuff they just keep right on sending it the next month. Hoping using the deceased button instead of refused will counteract that.

25yrvet

I had delivered to Ruby Smith at a senior complex for years. She passed away just before I went on vacation. Ruby Jones leased the apt & ups'd most of her belongings up from TX while I was still on vacation. The overbearing neighbor lady saw my sub struggling with the 10 o/70 pkgs and asked, "Who are they for?". The sub stated "Ruby". "Oh, Ruby died, send 'em back". They all went back to a mailboxes etc in TX. I came back from vakay & saw all the boxes for Ruby Jones, on each one was written, "UPS dude, Ruby's not dead...OK"
I'll never forget this.

satellitedriver

I did not know there was a deceased button. I will check my DIAD tomorrow.

In the same vein, a driver had a delivery to a cemetery. He stopped at the main office and told them he had a delivery for Mrs. "XYZ". They told him her plot number. He was shocked, he thought it was flowers for someone in the office. He drove to her grave and opened the box and laid the flowers on her grave.
PAX

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
Big news here about 5 years ago, man and woman who lived on my route with their three children involved in a roll over accident on the turnpike. Husband, wife and one of the kids all killed (no seatbelts) the next week her ab lounger shows up from QVC. Used the deceased button, hope the remaining kids did,t get billed.

samiam

I wish, there for I am?
Yep I did, years ago when I was a utility driver. Pakage was for a prior tenant who had passed away. I felt bad; but it got worse. I never look at names on packages. When a customer asks who it's for I tell them I don't care, I'm only concered about the address it's going to. Any driver that delivers to business can understand why. Anyway, sheeted box up and gave to clerk. 2 or 3 days later................back on truck. As soon as walk into that office ste. # to deliver, I realized I had the same package again. I felt like complete crap, had to tell them I had nothing for them that it was the same package for a few days ago.

Dand_E_Don

Please forgive me. I'm just someone from IS. I really appreaciate your sharing these stories. It kinda puts things into perspective. I read alot of different posts, but these are a perfect reminder that life ends for everyone, and nobody know when their number is up. It's that mortality thing that hits you. Keeps me grounded, too. Thanks again.

govols019

You smell that?
I did not know there was a deceased button. I will check my DIAD tomorrow.

In the same vein, a driver had a delivery to a cemetery. He stopped at the main office and told them he had a delivery for Mrs. "XYZ". They told him her plot number. He was shocked, he thought it was flowers for someone in the office. He drove to her grave and opened the box and laid the flowers on her grave.
PAX

Is that really true or is that one of those "stories" you heard from someone?

If true then it is both sweet and weird at the same time.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I never knew there was a deceased button. Its happened to me maybe 3 times in over a decade.
Why would their be that button, but not dog//////rd closed/////suspicious pkg///////////Torn to he**/ or open. These things happen far more frequently and are not a choice:confused:1

fryguy379

I have used it twice. once was meds from mhs in vegas his wife said he passed away over the weekend. the second was i guess an accident a nieghbor of a delivery told my cust. passed away so i sheeted deceased but the lady was tlaking about her other neighbor. needless to say got the pkg back a few days later:w00t:

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
I never knew there was a deceased button. Its happened to me maybe 3 times in over a decade.
Why would their be that button, but not dog//////rd closed/////suspicious pkg///////////Torn to he**/ or open. These things happen far more frequently and are not a choice:confused:1

At least they have finally added more DR options like workshop/ shed / and my personal favorite - Driveway:thumbup1:
How reassuring that must be for someone tracking a $999.99 pkg to see:
delivered--9:29 am location---Driveway

OldManAllowance

I have'nt needed the "deceased" key but I've needed the "he's been sent to prison" key....usually within a month I'll be back with a package from the State Corrections facility, all of his civilian belongings.