UPS when 9/11 happened

Brownisbrown

UPS EMPLOYEE
New gen UPSer here. 9/11 is coming up and I was wondering if any old timers here worked for UPS during 911. Anybody know what it was like? Did they tell everyone to go home? Did everyone evacuate their ctrs? How were the deliveries? Were some ppl afraid to handle packages?

I was a drooling baby when it happened, so cant say I know anything about it, but I am curious if anyone here knows what was going on in UPS when it happened.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
New gen UPSer here. 9/11 is coming up and I was wondering if any old timers here worked for UPS during 911. Anybody know what it was like? Did they tell everyone to go home? Did everyone evacuate their ctrs? How were the deliveries? Were some ppl afraid to handle packages?

I was a drooling baby when it happened, so cant say I know anything about it, but I am curious if anyone here knows what was going on in UPS when it happened.
We kept working like nothing happened. I know people that were in the towers that day and never came home.

Brownwind

I found out while running business air in town. We were told to be vigilant and get in early. The terror in every one’s face said it all.
I’ll never forget the sadness and anger from the mildest of people. We were hung out on our own. Finish up and we will inform you later. Had the mrs get the kids and go to the parents.

MECH-II

🧔‍♂️✊
B0F216C9-4CD0-4C43-9588-EA85610B796F.jpeg

DOK

Just kept working although I’m not in NYC. I do remember the exact stop I was at and the guy who first told me what was happening, it was my first stop of the day.

Darmark7

Retired 2020. Not my Problem Anymore!
I remember the stop I was at when I first heard. A guy at the place told me a plane hit one of the twin towers. I thought “what a :censored2:ty pilot” then later I hear another plane hit the other tower. I was scratching my head trying to figure out what was happening. All day long as I was making stops people were glued to their TVs and I would try to get a glimpse of what was happing at every stop.
I was in Florida and we finished our day as usual. For quite a few days (can’t remember how many) there was no air because planes was grounded.
Hard to believe over 20 yrs later people still believe the narrative we was fed.

Last edited:

KOG72

I’m full of it
It was a regular day here …..I had a security guard at one of my stops that always just buzzed me in came out with his hand on his gun and wanted me to open up the back of the truck,so I did.It was around three in the afternoon before I saw the first video of what had happened.

JustDeliverIt

I wasn’t with UPS at the time. I had put my daughter on the bus and just pulled into the parking lot of the place I was working when the first tower was hit. A coworker lived nearby so ran home and got a tv and set it up in the office. We didn’t get anything done, just watched the news as everything unfolded.

We’re also at the other end of the state, so most things ran as usual. By that night they were already sending volunteers to go downstate to help.

Commercial Inside Release

Was working in IT for the Federal government at the time, and had called in a day off. My private phone woke me up, with one call after another. Girlfriend told me to turn on the news. She was telling me someone is bombing New York, and seconds later I saw the live footage of a jet hit one of the buildings and a huge fireball come out the other side of the building. Can't remember everything we said to each other right then, but I told her to leave work and go home (she was a college professor at the time.) I was telling her to tell the school administration to go to *ell, if they don't like it, when I noticed dozens of calls on my work phone.

I ended up going to work ASAP - no *hit, no shave, no shower... and ran smack into a huge security presence at the front gate. Things just got worse from there.

DriverNerd

I was in college and had a calculus test so I went early to do some last minute studying. Everyone was glued to the one television in the hallway. Just then I saw live the second plane hit. Listening to the reporters complete shock and confusion was terrifying.

Then the teacher decided to have the test anyway. Later on she told us it was the lowest scores she's ever had on a test and she apologized and we all retook the test the following week. Smart enough to teach Multivariable Calculus, but not smart enough to realize watching thousands of people die right before our test might affect our ability to concentrate. Worst college professor I ever had.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.

I heard about it at one of my NDA deliveries. The whole office was stunned. I’ll never forget it.