Express Drivers, tell us your Stories

Goldilocks

I love when a customer calls in and wants their package asap for surgery, " THE PATIENT IS ON THE TABLE AND READY FOR SURGERY" You break off and get there and they are in no hurry. Oh well, we delivered the Golden Package.

Does anyone remember those ugly purple and orange steel toe shoes?

Goldilocks

Best story of all, my husband is also a courier with Fedex and he was on this new route and had a delivery for a ranch. So when he got to the main office, lo and behold, it was a Nudist Colony. LMBO, They where all Butt Necked..All old people.

I

IslandGirl

Years ago....was working trace during light duty...had one trace for a ldy looking for her pkg from the cruise ship captain..she and her husband had shared a table with the Captain..(something about being on cruiseships and you 'get' to have dinner with the captain)..anyways..guess she wasn't home,after the 3 attempts or whatever it was back then..
I looked at the commodity..it was 2 dozen fresh roses..now about a week old...with a beautiful crystal vase...
I called her..was she going to be home?..yes..
Even though I had to drive 20 miles out of my way..I wanted to make sure she got her much anticipated roses..I had her open them when I got there..they were wilted..having florist experience..I tried to revive them with 'florist tricks'..but I could see they were too far gone..she was so disappointed...
Next day..I called the actual shipper..and explained what had happened..and could they possibly send a fresh batch of flowers?..they agreed..we made arrangements with the lady to make sure she would be home next day..she believed the captain had heard(maybe?)..of what happened and sent her some more..
I followed up with her to confirm she got them..she was thrilled..and there was a note from the captain(wink,wink)..sorry for the delay..
Another time..working trace again..2 German tourists..a suitcase had been left on the bus..the tour company had left it beside/outside a dropbox..I found it in overgoods..only due to what was inside..a prosthetic leg!..got it forwarded to our station..the tourists were driving across the province,and only checking in with the son..I was calling him,for updates..(this was all before cell phones)..they were going to be passing thru our city the next day..we got them to call the station..I met them at the airport..where I thought they were turning in the car and boarding a flight...NO!..they were now headed off the mainland,to the island..could you direct us to the ferry??..it was rush hour..I figured,better to follow me..I will take you to the terminal...waited at lights if they missed the green...by the time we got to the terminal..the last ferry had sailed..they were tired..could I help them get a hotel?..there was only one there at the time..went in and asked the guy if he had any rooms..yes..explained what happened..he said..I'll give them a deal..you help me get them in with their bags..we got them into their room..they were both exhausted..the hotel guy shook my hand and said you should be a good will ambassador..the tourists?..they spoke not a word of english...I lived 3 miles from the station..I drove 50 miles across the city,on my own time..to make sure they got to the ferry safely...I don't know how they managed without speaking any english..I just kept guessing at what they were trying to say!..

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I love when a customer calls in and wants their package asap for surgery, " THE PATIENT IS ON THE TABLE AND READY FOR SURGERY" You break off and get there and they are in no hurry. Oh well, we delivered the Golden Package.

Does anyone remember those ugly purple and orange steel toe shoes?

I've had customers pull that one, and when you deliver the "urgent surgical package", it's Gucci shoes or a Prada bag. And yes, I remember those FedEx shoes. If you've really been around a long time, you will remember the "Chevron" blue-striped shirt with the rust-colored blazer. Before my time, but some of the real old-timers would still wear that clown suit when I was new. Ug-lee.

Rhoderunner

If you've really been around a long time, you will remember the "Chevron" blue-striped shirt with the rust-colored blazer. Before my time, but some of the real old-timers would still wear that clown suit when I was new. Ug-lee.
Not much better than the Purolator Courier uni with the tie and jacket :knockedout:

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

I think IslandGirl has a knack for writing good fiction.

And why would you think that? There was once a time long, long ago, that Fred's Army, I'm sorry...Corps, would absolutely go above and beyond in nearly any situation, because customer service was uber-important. Nowadays, customer service takes a back seat to productivity and numbers on a spreadsheet. I know that there are UPS drivers that do the same...probably even Ground guys too. At that point it's all about doing the what's best, not what's expected.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It was not uncommon to go above and beyond---I have done it and I am sure that you have done it as well--the tales that Island Girl told are very hard to believe, especially the second one. German tourists, prosthetic leg, hotel rooms, ferries, 50 miles....all of this is very hard to believe.

I

IslandGirl

Sorry guys..it's all true..and it was many years ago...when people wanted to go the extra mile for the company..not so much anymore..it's a thankless society we live in today..self centred...no one notices now if you do something above an beyond..as I said..the prosthetic leg..was in the lost suitcase..it was the only way I actually found it in overgoods..it was the guy's spare one..guess he wanted to make sure he would always have a leg to stand on!..
After you work trace,you develop a relationship with people sometimes,that you want to try and help them,because,sometimes,it takes a few days to solve someone's problem....especially elderly people..becuz,these German tourists..they were quite elderly..my Opa is part of their generation..

And yes..customer service was uber-important back then..as you say..it's all about numbers and industrial engineers,spreadsheets,etc..now..

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Sorry guys..it's all true..and it was many years ago...when people wanted to go the extra mile for the company..not so much anymore..it's a thankless society we live in today..self centred...no one notices now if you do something above an beyond..as I said..the prosthetic leg..was in the lost suitcase..it was the only way I actually found it in overgoods..it was the guy's spare one..guess he wanted to make sure he would always have a leg to stand on!..
After you work trace,you develop a relationship with people sometimes,that you want to try and help them,because,sometimes,it takes a few days to solve someone's problem....especially elderly people..becuz,these German tourists..they were quite elderly..my Opa is part of their generation..

And yes..customer service was uber-important back then..as you say..it's all about numbers and industrial engineers,spreadsheets,etc..now..

Going above and beyond was the norm, and then there was a level beyond that. This is where Federal Express (NOT FedEx) earned it's reputation, which is no longer deserved. When we screwed up, it got expedited, and usually the pkg got there on time. No more expediting, no more expedite couriers, no above and beyond.

I actually know several people who got Golden Falcon awards, and they did some amazing things to earn them.

The FedEx of today is a parasitic imposter that pretends to be Federal Express. This is like comparing a tick to a Golden Eagle, but it doesn't stop the Memphoids from pretending that FedEx is still something special.

It isn't. FedEx is a sham.

Goldilocks

I delivered a package the other day to a house that had about 30 chickens in the front yard and a rooster protecting his hens. That rooster scared me to death....lol

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I heard this story second hand but, I'll tell it anyway.
Our ramp is at a major metro city airport. There is a highway right next to the ramp's entrance that has to be about 5 lanes wide.

Supposedly, one of our shuttle drivers saw a FDX dude pull over to the shoulder of the highway in his personal car, jump out, climb over the chain link fence and, run to the ramp's entrance to get a pkg. or, envelope or, whatever on the O.B. flight.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I heard this story second hand but, I'll tell it anyway.
Our ramp is at a major metro city airport. There is a highway right next to the ramp's entrance that has to be about 5 lanes wide.

Supposedly, one of our shuttle drivers saw a FDX dude pull over to the shoulder of the highway in his personal car, jump out, climb over the chain link fence and, run to the ramp's entrance to get a pkg. or, envelope or, whatever on the O.B. flight.

I believe it. This is the kind of dedication and extraordinary effort that has been eliminated from the Express workforce. People are finally figuring out that FedEx "rewards" going above and beyond by treating you like crap and cutting your hours. They still expect it...DON'T GIVE THEM ANYTHING.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
This happened fairly recently.
It always amazes me to see people racing up to the ramp's gate, in their personal car, and running in with an envelope as I'm leaving.
Seems to be the same guy a lot too.

StuffItFred

My story is I hired in with a great company Federal Express at the time until it turned into the steaming piece of smile* it is now FedEx. Outside of that the fn place sucks now. THE END. Good Enough fairytale?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
My story is I hired in with a great company Federal Express at the time until it turned into the steaming piece of smile* it is now FedEx. Outside of that the fn place sucks now. THE END. Good Enough fairytale?

I know a courier who once delivered an entire route in her personal vehicle because there weren't any vans. No mileage pay offered and none expected. This was back when they would make it up to you with a real BZ or Golden Falcon etc. Once, I watched a shuttle door fly open on the freeway, scattering dozens of packages across the road. i actually stopped and got as many (safely) as I could, and arranged a meet with other drivers. Now, I'd say nothing, and try to run as many of them over as I could.

That's the difference between then and now.

Goldilocks

We had a manager that was demoted to a courier fall out of his truck while driving down a major highway. He had both doors open and no seat belt. He had a few scratches but was ok. Rules seemed to change after that.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

I know a courier who once delivered an entire route in her personal vehicle because there weren't any vans. No mileage pay offered and none expected. This was back when they would make it up to you with a real BZ or Golden Falcon etc. Once, I watched a shuttle door fly open on the freeway, scattering dozens of packages across the road. i actually stopped and got as many (safely) as I could, and arranged a meet with other drivers. Now, I'd say nothing, and try to run as many of them over as I could.

That's the difference between then and now.

When I was working trucking on the weekends many moons ago, I got a call from the Fort Worth PD saying there was a "FedEx truck lost a container of freight on the highway..." I hitched a ride with a truck driver to go investigate it. Turned out to be several boxes from out of a Ground trailer, so I told the cops I couldn't do anything with it, they'd have to call the 800 number and left. They didn't take that very well...lol