Express volume finally moving to Ground...

yadig

Happy? Nah. Bemused. Seems like the company wants to double and triple down on everything that hasn’t worked so far. Oh, and we’ve been telling them it’s horribly broken for months now. So when it all starts falling apart, we kinda just shrug and go on about our days.
It’s the same here at express. The benefits for year’s kept a lot of people around and the pay was competitive. If you’re topped out at express it’s not that bad of a job. The problem is they don’t want anyone else to reach top pay. I’m curios how they eventually fix the mess on both sides. I’m wondering if it isn’t too late

It will be fine

I don’t think there is a single contractor in the country that believes margins will improve before on time delivery drops substantially again. There aren’t enough drivers willing to do the work for what Ground pays. And do you know what contractors do in that case? We shrug our shoulders. There’s nothing left to do until FedEx revisits how they value contractors and their drivers.

Interestingly, when asked about contractor turnover, the company had absolutely nothing to say and that speaks volumes. The entire network is primed for failure and the only thing that stops that from happening, in my opinion, is far higher rates. Like immediately.
I don’t see how it would be possible to try to hand over basically the entire domestic market to contractors with the current margins. They kept saying how it would take years and they’d move carefully so as not to disrupt service levels. Everything they said about front line employees was completely out of touch with actual reality. If the main face of FedEx service is going to be the Ground guy they really need to up the compensation.

Bald1der

Just read the write up and it definitely seems rosy and ambitious, if not fantastical. My district (Liberty) is one that got a huge chunk of it's 4Z volume back.

My average stop count went from 90 a day to 110 a day. I can say that I haven't seen a Ground stepvan in my area in weeks, and I have a dense urban route.

Even when I cover a night route, the amount of outbound LMO volume has dropped to a handful of pieces a night.

I'm not saying FedEx won't try, but what we're seeing locally doesn't make sense.

NC man

FedEx said the initiative will allow it to operate 100 fewer U.S. stations over the next five years even as it grows its volumes over that time. It also forecast a 10% reduction in U.S. pickup and delivery routes over that period. In areas with relatively low package density, business units will operate out of one station, executives said.

DRA failed, e star can’t get out of the gate. Gonna be fun.

zeev

Just read the write up and it definitely seems rosy and ambitious, if not fantastical. My district (Liberty) is one that got a huge chunk of it's 4Z volume back.

My average stop count went from 90 a day to 110 a day. I can say that I haven't seen a Ground stepvan in my area in weeks, and I have a dense urban route.

Even when I cover a night route, the amount of outbound LMO volume has dropped to a handful of pieces a night.

I'm not saying FedEx won't try, but what we're seeing locally doesn't make sense.
The long awaited merger is on it’s going to get a lot worse for Express employees.

bacha29

The long awaited merger is on it’s going to get a lot worse for Express employees.
'What A Fool believes".....The Doobie Brothers. Nothing complex about this. Box draggers are going to do more for less and contractors will get less to do more. Got to give them credit for coming right out and telling you that their going to screw you guys big time . And the good part here is that they clearly believe that there will be no push back.

Another example where a long time ago and in a galaxy far far away this was a pretty good company and an industry to be working for and in. Unfortunately in the end Emperor Fred and Darth Raj wins big. Contractors will still have CHEWY and all the appliances they can drag up 3 flights of stairs. And that's got to count for something.

MAKAVELI

Ground's new business model.
giphy.gif