Extra work for Air drivers

Brownt10

I’m a 22.3 M-friend full time driver. In my building there are 4 of us w/ the same schedule. Can anyone help me understand and explain how bc I start an hr early on the preload that management uses that as an excuse to skip me in seniority when extra work is available such as ground justifying that the guy below me has an extra hr that they can use him over me bc they need him for more work?

It was always taught to me that extra work went in seniority order & I understand they don’t want to pay 2 of us to do ground but there have been dozens of occasions where me & other drivers split extra work. A few times I’ve gotten paid ground to do literally one stop & even a handful of stops. The company pays out 9-5 grievances like there candy.

We had drivers all summer working preload and running out of hours by Friday yet this is happening

UPSER1987

I’m a 22.3 M-friend full time driver. In my building there are 4 of us w/ the same schedule. Can anyone help me understand and explain how bc I start an hr early on the preload that management uses that as an excuse to skip me in seniority when extra work is available such as ground justifying that the guy below me has an extra hr that they can use him over me bc they need him for more work?

It was always taught to me that extra work went in seniority order & I understand they don’t want to pay 2 of us to do ground but there have been dozens of occasions where me & other drivers split extra work. A few times I’ve gotten paid ground to do literally one stop & even a handful of stops. The company pays out 9-5 grievances like there candy.

We had drivers all summer working preload and running out of hours by Friday yet this is happening
Your management team is incorrect if they are dispatching extra work in this manner.
You should be getting the offer/opportunity to drive if you are the highest seniority regardless of start time.
That is a reasonable error to file on and you will win.

Last edited:

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD

You’re a preloader , not a RPCD

You’ll never file

You’re scared of management

YOULL NEVER BE A RPCD!!
🧔✊

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
You’re a preloader , not a RPCD

You’ll never file

You’re scared of management

YOULL NEVER BE A RPCD!!
🧔✊
john-cena-tag-me-in.gif

542thruNthru

I’m a 22.3 M-friend full time driver. In my building there are 4 of us w/ the same schedule.
A 22.3 full time driver? So you mean you're a combo that drives air for one half?
Can anyone help me understand and explain how bc I start an hr early on the preload that management uses that as an excuse to skip me in seniority when extra work is available such as ground justifying that the guy below me has an extra hr that they can use him over me bc they need him for more work?
How many hours are you already at when they give this driver the extra work? Will you go over your 14 and not be able to finish the work?

Have you talked to your steward or BA?

Brownt10

A 22.3 full time driver? So you mean you're a combo that drives air for one half?

How many hours are you already at when they give this driver the extra work? Will you go over your 14 and not be able to finish the work?

Have you talked to your steward or BA?
My job description is preload/air delivery. The work they give to the other driver could be given to me in most cases since I would be done & under 14hrs. As a 22.3 I expect to only work in my classification but obviously to work similar hours for more money occasionally I’ll take it. Sometimes I might not be able to complete a large task if I only have 3-4 hours left in my day so I would think that they could still split work up like they have in the past.

I’ve talked to my BA & basically they do agree except that they said the company doesn’t have to split work up if they need a guy for 6hrs worth of work and I have 4 available then they could skip me but I def challenge that considering many times they have split work

Brownt10

Your management team is incorrect if they are dispatching extra work in this manner.
You should be getting the offer/opportunity to drive if you are the highest seniority regardless of start time.
Now the counter argument to that is what if they have roughly 6 hours worth of work & they can get a person below me with more available hours to finish it? Shouldn’t they still offer it to me even if I had 3-4hrs left?

UPSER1987

Now the counter argument to that is what if they have roughly 6 hours worth of work & they can get a person below me with more available hours to finish it? Shouldn’t they still offer it to me even if I had 3-4hrs left?
Yes. Past practice in my district/local is to offer the work in seniority order regardless.
It doesn’t make sense that since you start one hour early, you miss out totally on 6 additional hours of extra work. Your center team is being lazy with the dispatch.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
As long as his preload job is done

You stick go disciplining we’ll take care of the contract interpretation