FAA Reauthorization Act

Broke

I haven't had a chance to check your site out, but you sound very much like a Libertarian. If you are, just out yourself,OK? No disrespect intended, but if Hillsdale College (Libertarian University) is on fire, are they going to turn away the fire department because they are a governmental agency? Why do you suppose it is that governments run many public programs anyway? It's because there isn't any profit to be made in most service-type agencies, so government foots the bill. Yes, please eliminate the state mental hospitals and only admit those that can pay their way, so all of those crazies can come out to play with the rest of us. That's where the Libertarian argument falls apart.
EXACTLY! It's amazing how some want the government to stay away from everything, but as soon as disaster strikes, then they complain about the government not doing enough.

vantexan

EXACTLY! It's amazing how some want the government to stay away from everything, but as soon as disaster strikes, then they complain about the government not doing enough.

The gov't does have certain responsibilities, and this administration has been shirking their's per the oil spill. Not only that but they've stood in the way of other's trying to do something about it. These are the same people who blamed Bush for everything concerning Katrina, but now are making excuses. Big gov't hasn't solved our economic crisis either, only worsened it. I suppose if they eventually have all of us standing in manure up to our waists their defenders will say thank God Bush isn't in chage or this ****** would really stink.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Like Governor Jindal? He complains about stimulus money, then takes it, then wants the Federal government to come to his rescue with the oil spill.

The Mayor

But a congressman doesn't hold sway like a senator.

That may very well be true, but both parts of congress will still need to vote on the bill. From what I read, there is no mention of the language. However, like ol fred did back in 96, perhaps it will come back against him this time in 2010. An amendment or rider posed at the last minute before voting including the language intorduced by a member...

I guess we will just have to wait until the vote is finally over to see what course of action will be taken.

Broke

But a congressman doesn't hold sway like a senator.
The chairmen of the House committees are like Senators. Just a regular congressman doesn't have much sway though. If Oberstar wants it bad enough, then it will be voted on in the final bill. The Senate will either bring the whole bill down and they will have to start from scratch after the elections or they can vote to pass it. It's a risky move any way you look at it. In my opinion I think the Senate is bluffing and would eventually pass the bill with the express carrier language in the final bill. The two senators from Tn have threatened filibuster but I think after a few days of staying in session through their summer recess then we could easily get the 60 votes for cloture. Another wildcard I haven't heard anything about is that it's very possible that the republican Senators from Ky and Ga could vote in favor of express carrier protection because of UPS's influence in those two states. In my opinion I think it's still likely that this bill will eventually pass in our favor.

bbsam

Staff member
Besides, both the Senators and Smith are wildly popular in Tn so they can fillibuster on behalf of "the vast majority of their constituents."

Broke

Besides, both the Senators and Smith are wildly popular in Tn so they can fillibuster on behalf of "the vast majority of their constituents."
What's your point? As I said they are threatening a filibuster but it will likely be broken with a cloture vote. A cloture vote is getting the 60 votes required to end debate and have an up or down vote. I'm just giving the Fedex defenders on here a heads up not to be suprised if a few republicans vote in our favor.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
What's your point? As I said they are threatening a filibuster but it will likely be broken with a cloture vote. A cloture vote is getting the 60 votes required to end debate and have an up or down vote. I'm just giving the Fedex defenders on here a heads up not to be suprised if a few republicans vote in our favor.

I'd be very surprised to see any Republicans on "our" side. They're usually the first to jump onto the Smith Money Train.

Broke

I'd be very surprised to see any Republicans on "our" side. They're usually the first to jump onto the Smith Money Train.
I was thinking that we could get the two from Ga. and the two from Ky because of UPS's influence, not because they actually support labor.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Excellent point Broke...

Let's hope. I don't think Fred can pull a fast one like he did before, but he has outspent UPS by a 2 to 1 margin. It's especially difficult to get Republican support right now because the base seems to have shifted so far to the right. I'm guessing that the Ky. and Ga. members would have to weigh their options. Washington has 2 Democratic senators, and that's where Smith is using his 777 tactic to try and sway their vote. Wonder how Cantwell and Murray will vote on this?

I'm guessing an in-depth investigation into the 2 senators from Tennessee would probably not look good for either of them or Fred S. What a piece of work, that Fred. Wish I could use the exact words I would like to describe my opinion of him.

bbsam

Staff member
Put 2 and 2 together. Rockefeller probably did the math including the Georgia and Kentucky senators and figured the bill would fall to Republican fillibuster with no hope of cloture.

Broke

Put 2 and 2 together. Rockefeller probably did the math including the Georgia and Kentucky senators and figured the bill would fall to Republican fillibuster with no hope of cloture.
Rockefeller meant that if he tried to put the language in the Senate bill, then with all of the procedural options that Lamar Alexander and Bob Corker have available the bill would never pass. It's faster to deal with the issue in conference than to try to deal with additional delays that would have happened had it been placed in both bills.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Rockefeller meant that if he tried to put the language in the Senate bill, then with all of the procedural options that Lamar Alexander and Bob Corker have available the bill would never pass. It's faster to deal with the issue in conference than to try to deal with additional delays that would have happened had it been placed in both bills.

Investigate both Corker and Alexander and delay the bill again, if necessary. See my post on what a crock it is to even represent FedEx as being an airline. 70,000 vehicle vs. 351 airplanes? A total joke.