FAA Reauthorization Act

FedEx courier

Why would he? He has nothing to gain by backing down, but that doesn't change the legislative math.
Why don't you explain the legislative math to everyone since you have it totally figured out. If the situation was as simple as you have stated the final bill would have already passed without the language which hasn't happened.

FedEx courier

Besides, both the Senators and Smith are wildly popular in Tn so they can fillibuster on behalf of "the vast majority of their constituents."
According to Wikipedia Corker won the election by less than three percentage points so I wouldn't say they are both wildly popular. Why don't you at least try to back up your general statements.

bbsam

Staff member
Why don't you explain the legislative math to everyone since you have it totally figured out. If the situation was as simple as you have stated the final bill would have already passed without the language which hasn't happened.
Simply pointing out that is Oberstar and Rockefeller could have gotten it done, it would have been done by now which also hasn't happened. As long as they keep extending the current FAA, Fred's already won. He's simply running out the clock until November when it's thought that republicans will have more Senate seats and therefore solidify his position.

bbsam

Staff member
According to Wikipedia Corker won the election by less than three percentage points so I wouldn't say they are both wildly popular. Why don't you at least try to back up your general statements.
And today, 18 months into the Obama administration with the Democrats on their heels, do you think Corker is more or less popular than the 3 points he won by? By the way, it is a shame how he did Harold Ford Jr. I'm not sure Ford would be on board with the Democrats on this anyway. He's always shown a streak for representing his state and I'm not sure he would see things Oberstars way.

Broke

Simply pointing out that is Oberstar and Rockefeller could have gotten it done, it would have been done by now which also hasn't happened. As long as they keep extending the current FAA, Fred's already won. He's simply running out the clock until November when it's thought that republicans will have more Senate seats and therefore solidify his position.
As I pointed out in an earlier post, there will be a few republicans that will vote for express carrier protection. We will lose the 2 democrats from Arkansas, and the 1 from Louisiana. The Republicans that are likely to vote for it are; The 2 from Maine, the 2 from Kentucky and the 2 from Georgia based on UPS's influence. Do the math, it does look as if it will eventually be worked out in our favor. The senate is in the process of gaining the 60 votes needed for cloture and are waiting on the right time to vote.

FedEx courier

And today, 18 months into the Obama administration with the Democrats on their heels, do you think Corker is more or less popular than the 3 points he won by? By the way, it is a shame how he did Harold Ford Jr. I'm not sure Ford would be on board with the Democrats on this anyway. He's always shown a streak for representing his state and I'm not sure he would see things Oberstars way.
Not sure what goes on in Tennessee, it seems like a good ole boy state anyway to allow this kind of stuff to happen in the first place.

bbsam

Staff member
As I pointed out in an earlier post, there will be a few republicans that will vote for express carrier protection. We will lose the 2 democrats from Arkansas, and the 1 from Louisiana. The Republicans that are likely to vote for it are; The 2 from Maine, the 2 from Kentucky and the 2 from Georgia based on UPS's influence. Do the math, it does look as if it will eventually be worked out in our favor. The senate is in the process of gaining the 60 votes needed for cloture and are waiting on the right time to vote.
I wouldn't count on the two from Maine if I were you. They have a knack for changing their minds at the very last minute.

FedEx courier

I was simply pointing out that it isn't decided yet. I wouldn't put it past him to try and run out the clock but it seems like it would be difficult for even him to stretch this out until next year.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I was simply pointing out that it isn't decided yet. I wouldn't put it past him to try and run out the clock but it seems like it would be difficult for even him to stretch this out until next year.

If the Republicans continue to trot-out crazy Tea Party candidates, they could actually lose seats in November. Someone earlier had mentioned that the Ky Senators might vote in favor of UPS. I seriously doubt Mitch McConnell would vote against FedEx, even though the UPS Air Hub is in his state. That would make him seem pro-labor and threaten his status as a Republican "leader".

Wouldn't it be great if the Tea-Baggers helped us out in November? Please, oh please run a Palin/Gingrich ticket in 2012, or a Romney/Brown team. Talk about easy targets.

vantexan

If the Republicans continue to trot-out crazy Tea Party candidates, they could actually lose seats in November. Someone earlier had mentioned that the Ky Senators might vote in favor of UPS. I seriously doubt Mitch McConnell would vote against FedEx, even though the UPS Air Hub is in his state. That would make him seem pro-labor and threaten his status as a Republican "leader".

Wouldn't it be great if the Tea-Baggers helped us out in November? Please, oh please run a Palin/Gingrich ticket in 2012, or a Romney/Brown team. Talk about easy targets.

The Obama administration has added 2.3 trillion to the national debt since coming to power, 1 trillion in the last 6 months. If they get their way with cap-and-trade gas will be at $7 a gallon(that's Harvard's number, hardly a conservative bastion). Unemployment is at 9.5%. This is what the Dems are facing, calling people names won't change this. And people remember that Obama said he was a moderate, he's anything but. Combined with Reid and Pelosi the Democrats have a huge albatross around their necks. Good luck with that.

Broke

If the Republicans continue to trot-out crazy Tea Party candidates, they could actually lose seats in November. Someone earlier had mentioned that the Ky Senators might vote in favor of UPS. I seriously doubt Mitch McConnell would vote against FedEx, even though the UPS Air Hub is in his state. That would make him seem pro-labor and threaten his status as a Republican "leader

McConnell actually came out in support for it in 2007 when it first past the house, although the senate never voted on it.