to wait if you fail the
initial on road test before
you can test again..I have
been told many different
answers ranging from a
week to a year..anyone
know for sure?

outamyway

Did you fail it already? If not, the best advice is don't fail.

It's not so much when you can take the test again but when they will need YOU as a driver. In some centers you may get your chance quicker than others. It's better to pass now than to wait later.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would think that the answer to your question would depend upon which state you are from. There is one thing that I am curious about--I assume that you rode back to the center with an on-car sup or another mgt person. Did you think to ask him/her this question? I am sure that you are not the first person to have failed his initial road test in your center so your mgt team should be able to answer this question for you. Good luck next time!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
It used to be a year, I have never heard of it changing. I have first hand knowledge of this, because I failed the first one I took about 1980. I had just turned twenty-one, and I made an illegal left hand turn at a traffic light in that old P600 with the bench seats in the back. I made a left turn on a four-lane highway. Instead of staying in the left lane after the turn, I veered into the right lane. I learned that day that you can't drive a P6 like the '69 Vette I had at the time. The Instructor told me to pull over and change drivers and that was it. I noticed he pulled out a bottle of blue Valiums and ate one........

bad company

semi-pro
This depends... on which road test you are talking about.

There is the initial road test required before you are sent to school. This is usually done by an on-road sup or HR rep. It's pretty much just a ride to make sure you have the basic skills required to operate a manual transmission vehicle and won't kill anybody on the road. You are allowed to make some mistakes as long as they aren't major safety issues. If you fail this road test, I have seen several people get another shot in as little as a week.

The 2nd road test is at drivers school. If you fail the test at school, you will not get another chance for a year. Period.

SmithBarney

If you failed the initial road test, then honestly you shouldn't be behind the wheel of
a UPS truck.. or perhaps any vehicle. Its a simple ride along to see if you can drive..
although my OnCar thought it would be fun to see how I did parking downtown..
I aced it, but it was interesting for sure..