Failed Random Drug Test

MN FEEDER

A feeder driver in our district recently failed his random drug test. He was taken out of service and then terminated. In addition, this feeder driver failed a drug test about 9 years ago. They posted his job and I won the bid. My question is does he stand a chance to get his job back with the grievance procedure?

Just a follow up on my post.
The terminated driver lost all of his appeals to regain his feeder job. Therefore, I was able to keep the job and I've been very pleased since that decision.:happy-very:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
The terminated driver lost all of his appeals to regain his feeder job. Therefore, I was able to keep the job and I've been very pleased since that decision.:happy-very:

Thats the spirit, be happy about your fellow driver getting booted out so you can have his run...nice. (Im only kidding....but seriously, if your smoking the crazy weed, you really are a :censored2:. :knockedout:)

H

hseofpayne

Article 35 of the National Master United Parcel Service Agreement, Section 4.11 Discipline states:

"There will also be a one (1) time rehabilitation opportunity for substance abuse."
I voluntarily went through the drug rehab program, just went to my center manager and told him I needed help. That was 2 years ago and it was the best decision I ever made. All drugs have long term, lasting effects. It took a good 6 months of being clean before my mind quit thinking everybody at UPS was out to get me!! I wrecked the brown truck 3 months after rehab, and all I could think of while waiting on the police and ambulance was THANK GOD I AM CLEAN. I was worried when I went back to work after rehab that management would look for reasons to fire me, but as usual, they have something else that comes along to worry about other than me. There is no successful way to use drugs, they only mask the problems. If you are reading this and need help, ask for it before you lose your job, too.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Over9Five, I agree (imagine that) wholeheartedly with your post. I think every hourly who gets behind the wheel should be randomly tested. I don't agree with the post re: breathalyzer (sp?) tests on a random basis but would agree if there were reason to believe that the employee may be intoxicated. However, I do have to draw the line at randomly testing management personnel as you pretty much have to be on drugs to go in to management, especially in today's UPS. (Relax, Tieguy--I'm just kidding!)

birdieman

If he admits to a drug problem they will send him to rehab,if he doed not,he is history,your are considered dirty if you fail the test,however,it could be a medication he is taking.
have a feeder driver who failed a drug test went to the panel and got his job back isn't there any suspension through the state or the d o t .or is there any violation on your licenses

J

JonFrum

New Testing Rules Expands Use of Observed Urination
July 24, 2008: Under regulations that take effect Aug. 25, the Transportation Department will begin requiring transportation workers who previously tested positive for a prohibited drug to give their urine specimens while being watched by specimen collectors. Currently, only transportation workers suspected of tampering with their specimen are required to provide urine specimens while being observed.

The new rule amends 49 C.friend.R. § 40.67 to "require employees who are undergoing directly observed collections to raise their shirts, blouses, or dresses/skirts, as appropriate, above the waist and lower their pants and underpants to show the observer, by turning around, that they do not have a prosthetic device on their person," the preamble says. It continues, "After this is done, they may return their clothing to its proper position and contribute a specimen in such manner that the observer can see the urine exiting directly from the individual into the collection container."

Full story: https://web.archive.org/web/20080907002153/http://tdu.org/node/2208

paidslave

Article 35 of the National Master United Parcel Service Agreement, Section 4.11 Discipline states:

"There will also be a one (1) time rehabilitation opportunity for substance abuse."

I would have to say that he might be getting his job back if he has a valid CDL licence. This quote says it well there is 1 time rehabilitation and this can be construed as 1 per contract not employment time.

He Needs a great union lawyer at panel to point out the contract!

BigBrownSanta

New Testing Rules Expands Use of Observed Urination
July 24, 2008: Under regulations that take effect Aug. 25, the Transportation Department will begin requiring transportation workers who previously tested positive for a prohibited drug to give their urine specimens while being watched by specimen collectors. Currently, only transportation workers suspected of tampering with their specimen are required to provide urine specimens while being observed.

The new rule amends 49 C.friend.R. § 40.67 to "require employees who are undergoing directly observed collections to raise their shirts, blouses, or dresses/skirts, as appropriate, above the waist and lower their pants and underpants to show the observer, by turning around, that they do not have a prosthetic device on their person," the preamble says. It continues, "After this is done, they may return their clothing to its proper position and contribute a specimen in such manner that the observer can see the urine exiting directly from the individual into the collection container."

Full story: https://web.archive.org/web/20080907002153/http://tdu.org/node/2208

Well, I guess I won't be taking that early retirement this year after all. Leave it to the government to stand in the way of us small business owners and snuffing out our entrepreneurial ideas.:angry:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Mr Lippman steals Elaine's idea for a business selling muffin tops, and brings her into the business for her muffin expertise.

browniehound

I really suprised UPS doesn't test its employees, at least on an intitial basis. All the good jobs drug test. I've been drug tested in previous jobs that just required me only to pick orders in a warehouse.

With UPS being incredibly safety consious you would think a drug test would be a pre-employment requirement at the very least?

bears2

yea what an idiot
.1st you give us a scenerio,then you repost with the real story,then you brag that you got a job and he lost his...karma buddy karma !

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
I really suprised UPS doesn't test its employees, at least on an intitial basis. All the good jobs drug test. I've been drug tested in previous jobs that just required me only to pick orders in a warehouse.

With UPS being incredibly safety consious you would think a drug test would be a pre-employment requirement at the very least?

i see alot of preloaders smoke weed in the parking lot. I bet it doesn't bother the management as long as those guys can work fast.