Fair Days Pay for Fair Days work???? REALLY!?!?!?!

j13501

I happen to believe this is true which makes UPS' business practices that much more mind-boggling. Just for a quick example the cutting of a route. It would make sense if you could just lay the driver off for the day but the contract states you have to find him 8 hours of work somewhere if he was told to report. So now he has to work in the hub making $31/hour for a job that pays $8.50/hour.

This example is very different in other parts of the country. I've seen many centers where the routes are cut and you have 4 or 5 drivers volunteering to take the day off. Generally, the senior driver who wants the day off, gets it. So it's not "laying off anyone for just a day". Some centers always have extra drivers 3 days a week ( with the full staffing in place on the 2 heaviest days), and never have drivers bumping into inside operations (unless a driver is laid off for the entire week).

It's very interesting that this is the same business- picking up and delivering packages, but it's run differently in different parts of the country.

The best response to the "Fair days work for a fair days pay" line was from senior package car driver who told the sup who just uttered it that "If he wanted Fair he should go be a sup at the friend`in NAACP"

menotyou

bella amicizia
Not to be nosey, but "was" or "is" a DM?
My understanding is - was.

I use to deliver a monthly check to someone who was 'up there'.
You never saw the guy. I came back after the 'package incident' and he came out and had a nice chat with me. Shocked doesn't describe how I felt.

Last edited:

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
keep running rookie the only reason u get more work is cause they know u run harder to get in the same time where a veteran driver will do the route by the book without shortcuts. if they give him more work he will be in later
ive heard that for 28 yrs and im still first in the building daily