Fair Days Work For Fair Days Pay payout?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
What is the thought process in that price???
It can't cost that much to make a copy of an analog cassette tape?

What do you think.... is the "going rate" ??

Court reporter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the electronic computer age of 2016, why aren't all dockets, decisions, and transcripts available to all members at no cost.

All of the "armchair quarterback's" would like that.

Get off the couch.

Leave Moms basement. (walk up the steps)

There is more to life.... than microwaving Hot Pockets.

-Bug-

Brown echo

If u are not alive than for sure truth is not real
It's up to you to pursue the issue....if there's an issue. If you aren't getting your daily guarantee you need to request it. If you are, you need to work with your local to see if your concerns are a violation of your contract. Don't be the weak link just because you think the representation at your hub is weak. You need to follow through so you know you did all you could.
latest

By The Book

What is the thought process in that price???
It can't cost that much to make a copy of an analog cassette tape?

Could be worse, considering this week's announcement...don't ya think???

In the electronic computer age of 2016, why aren't all dockets, decisions, and transcripts available to all members at no cost.
Seems as if the present leaders like to "guard" information from the membership, in an attempt to keep them disengaged.....

.....all the while, railing about low vote counts and poor attendance of union functions.

SMH

~Bbbl~
You make some good points. That's an extremely high price to pay for what you mentioned. It may be the going rate....so let's change the rate....that comes from the top,it has to be important enough to the leadership. Transparency, you would think would strengthen the membership and possibly get people involved. It does get old to hear the members don't vote, they don't show up for meetings. They also mention that the percentage of union people in the workforce is declining. Well what are the people in charge of their locals going to do about it? It's all about leadership and the ones with the juice seem to be out of ideas, could care less if anything changed as long as they keep their position. It takes leadership and a plan from the top down if things are going to change. The members can bring up all the ideas, problems in their building, that they have but if the BA doesn't have the support of his principal officer, your just pissing against the wind. Some on here say if your in a small building your issues aren't relevant. When I hear that I think they are picking and choosing what's important to them, not what's important to the members.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
What do you think.... is the "going rate" ??

Court reporter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have witnessed no "Court Reporter/Stenographer" at any level of the panel process, and I have been to every level.
There has been however, an audio recorder at most.

This is the digital age Bug, and it wouldn't be that difficult, or expensive, to reduce these dockets/decisions/audio files to a database.

How useful would it be for a BA or Steward, who isn't interested in the status quo or being saddled to decades old decisions, to actually be able to analyze a case and develop a new angle or position?

All of the "armchair quarterback's" would like that.
Get off the couch.
Leave Moms basement. (walk up the steps)
There is more to life.... than microwaving Hot Pockets.

That seems like the last thing you want to happen.
You like things just like they are, and that's a problem.

~Bbbl~

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
In the Central Region (including State Panel and JAC decisions)

The "going rate" for a transcription.... is $500.00

-Bug-

I did not ask for a transcript of the entire hearing. I asked for the case number.

It is already filed and in print format, listing the grievant, local, case number, violation and decision.

I'll buy you a beer for the price to copy 1 or 2 pages.

And $500 for a transcription? Speech to text software is cheap these days. Or analog tape to digital conversion, saved as an mp3. Or a digital recording in the first place.

It's not hard, even a dumb truck driver elected BA turned panel member should be able to figure this out. And no, I am not referring to you. But the Teamsters are full of these people.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I have witnessed no "Court Reporter/Stenographer" at any level of the panel process, and I have been to every level.

There are none. Bug was trying to make people believe that it took a highly trained Stenographer to convert an audio tape to text, justifying his $500 charge.

It does take a highly trained Stenographer to "record" live hearings, or court rooms, but the Teamsters don't use one. They use a tape recorder.

This is the digital age Bug, and it wouldn't be that difficult, or expensive, to reduce these dockets/decisions/audio files to a database.

No, it would not.

How useful would it be for a BA or Steward, who isn't interested in the status quo or being saddled to decades old decisions, to actually be able to analyze a case and develop a new angle or position?

Or even just to find out if there is already a decision covering a particular issue. A long time BA may have no issue, but how about for some of these new guys?

That seems like the last thing you want to happen.
You like things just like they are, and that's a problem.

The Teamsters want things just the way they are now, and yes that is a problem. Just like the Federal government. They really do not want transparency. You must be on the "inside" to have access and to know what's going on.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
There has been however, an audio recorder at most.

To convert from audio recordings, they use a stenographer.

The "powers that be" will never allow members, to access the information online.

Even FZ.... would never agree to that.

I did not ask for a transcript of the entire hearing. I asked for the case number.

It is already filed and in print format, listing the grievant, local, case number, violation and decision.

The decision was....

"Based on the facts presented (in this instant case), the claim of the Union is denied."

As I said earlier, it was the company who took the position at first.

It was based on a grievance from part-time hub employees trying to exercise their seniority

by bumping junior employees in other work area's for additional overtime.

There are none. Bug was trying to make people believe that it took a highly trained Stenographer to convert an audio tape to text, justifying his $500 charge.

It does take a highly trained Stenographer to "record" live hearings, or court rooms, but the Teamsters don't use one. They use a tape recorder.

Hate to tell you Mug....

My Local uses a stenographer at the monthly meetings to take "verbatim minutes".

That's why when stepping up to the mike, members must identify themselves, so their name,

statements, questions, and or comments, can be accurately recorded.

When I was an elected Trustee, reviewing the books is when I saw what my Local paid per month.

The same stenographer takes the same "verbatim minutes" at the monthly

Executive Board meeting. Even in the off months, during the summer recession.

I have no control over what is charged for a transcription.

But.... thanks for the apparent assumption, that I am higher up the chain. ;)

-Bug-

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

I would assume that this is done anyway for every recording, so this stenographer is already paid with our dues money. They don't just convert it when someone wants a copy. So why rape the members that want a copy of the converted recordings when it has been paid for already?

The "powers that be" will never allow members, to access the information online.

And that is one of the problems. What's wrong with the members, who pay the officers, having access to grievance decisions, at all levels? Keep the members in the dark. Keeps them in line.

Hate to tell you Mug....

My Local uses a stenographer at the monthly meetings to take "verbatim minutes".

That is your locals choice. It is not mandatory. That's what Recording Secretaries are for. Take notes during meetings and sessions.

When I was an elected Trustee, reviewing the books is when I saw what my Local paid per month.

I can imagine what a stenographer charges per month, but an optional expense your local decides to utilize. And your Stenographer is paid with our dues money and all your meetings and sessions are converted to print anyway, whether a member wants a copy or not. Make them available for a nominal copy fee.

And Stenographers are not utilized at hearings. Maybe after the fact, but they are already paid for with our dues money. And in this day and age, Stenographers are a waste of money. There are far cheaper and more advanced methods to get this done.

Again, sounds to me like it is transcribed anyway, and the Stenographer is already paid. A calculated expense. Why rape the members. It would be like a book author trying to recoup all his time and money through the price of one book.

But.... thanks for the apparent assumption, that I am higher up the chain.

Never assumed you were.

The decision was....

"Based on the facts presented (in this instant case), the claim of the Union is denied."

It was based on a grievance from part-time hub employees trying to exercise their seniority

So you are saying that since a part-time employee cannot exercise his seniority and bump another part-time employee for overtime, that this part-time employee has the right to finish "his" work, that the union and company have decided that this also applies to them being able to finish their work even though there are full-time employees on the clock now?

I am not saying that it is right or wrong, but it is a big leap to correlate one to the other. Tell a full-time employee, who has started, that he cannot load his truck because a part-time employee has the right to finish his work.

This is either genius on the Companies part, or genius on the Unions part, pick your poison.

Brown Spider

The decision was....

Hate to tell you Mug....

That's why when stepping up to the mike, members must identify themselves, so their name,

-Bug-

Hate to tell you Bug....

I'm pretty sure that the standard bylaw language addressing the duties of the Recording Secretary states that it shall be the function of the Recording Secretary to keep minutes of the proceedings of general membership and Executive Board meetings. I don't recall a provision for outsourcing that work to a stenographer. Where would that end? Does your President hire a parliamentarian to conduct membership meetings? Do your Trustees hire an accountant to review the books each month? Do your Business Agents hire legal aides to represent members at grievance hearings? When your slate runs in the next election, will you tell the members that you're hiring the most qualified people to perform the work that you were elected to perform?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I'm pretty sure that the standard bylaw language addressing the duties of the Recording Secretary states that it shall be the function of the Recording Secretary to keep minutes of the proceedings of general membership and Executive Board meetings.

My Locals Bylaws state that.... almost verbatim. But, with one caveat.

The Presidents duties.

"He shall have authority to interpret these Bylaws and to decide all questions of law

there-under between meetings of the Executive Board."

So, there's that. :biggrin:

-Bug-

* Bubble and Mug *

Short of going to your Local, and asking to review cases...

The information will never be put online, for viewing by the general public.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
My Locals Bylaws state that.... almost verbatim. But, with one caveat.

The Presidents duties.

"He shall have authority to interpret these Bylaws and to decide all questions of law

there-under between meetings of the Executive Board."

So, there's that. :biggrin:

-Bug-

* Bubble and Mug *

Short of going to your Local, and asking to review cases...

The information will never be put online, for viewing by the general public.

So your president wastes a crapload of member dues money by hiring an unnecessary stenographer when that is the Recording Secretary's job?

Sounds like he would be a good Bill L. replacement for the Ohio Conference of Teamsters and trustee of the CSPF.

By The Book

The decision was....

Hate to tell you Mug....

-Bug-
That could be uncomfortable for someone to make a motion to discontinue the use of the stenographer.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Understand. But I was talking about meetings, not hearings.

Whoops.

I actually do not know of any local that records their membership meetings or executive sessions. That is one of the duties of the Recording Secretary, to keep minutes in meetings and sessions.

Bugs local is probably the only one that hires someone else to do the job that the Recording Secretary is supposed to do. And they do not record those meetings. The Stenographer takes dictation live, not from a tape recording of the meetings.

What a waste of our dues money. Make the Recording Secretary do his job.

Brown Spider

So your president wastes a crapload of member dues money by hiring an unnecessary stenographer when that is the Recording Secretary's job?

Sounds like he would be a good Bill L. replacement for the Ohio Conference of Teamsters and trustee of the CSPF.

I raised the same issue in Post #69. Bug chose to delete that portion when he quoted me. Nice touch, Bug...do you burn the books that you don't agree with also?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I raised the same issue in Post #69. Bug chose to delete that portion when he quoted me. Nice touch, Bug...do you burn the books that you don't agree with also?

Yup.

I also pointed out in Post #68 that it is the Recording Secretary's job to do this.

I just basically asked Bug again why his local is paying someone else to do the Recording Secretary's job and why nobody at his local is questioning this waste of members dues money.

Maybe the Stenographer is a family member or friend of someone.

Did I just say that? I guess I did.