Fatal Accident

upsdude

A driver in the Lively Virginia Center was killed yesterday in a single vehicle accident. The driver was ejected from the truck and the truck rolled over on him. It looks like the seatbelt was not in use at the time.

I’m posting this at lunch and will try and post additional information tonight. The driver is survived by a wife and child.

dragracer66

Prayer's to his wife and kid....That's new's that suck's especially right before the christmas season!!! If there is a fund raiser for his family please post it on here with any info...

Gman24

My condolences as well. We went thru the same situation at our center about 12 years ago. Exact same scenario. No seat belt was in use also.

Last edited:

Slothrop

My condolences as well. We went thru the same situation at our center about 12 years ago. Exact same scenario. No seat belt was in use also.
Very strange,

Happened in my center as well, about 12 years ago, is it that common? Or do I know you?

It has been proven that a seat belt of the design in an original 5 cube (and other designs in use in UPS vehicles) could become unclasped in an accident. Once the truck lands on top of the victim, there is no way to really be sure, from a forensic POV.

Condolences to the family, and if you know them, tell them to hire the best lawyer in VA to make sure the vehicle was in good shape, and that they are not denied benefits because of apparent lack of seat belt use.

Keepingthemhonest

Bring'n sexy back
very sad news indeed :(! It's always especially tragic to lose a loved one so close to the holidays; it puts a damper of the holiday for years to come. Prayers be with them.

Wear your seatbelt always!

upsdude

I don't really have much of an update but here goes.

The driver was 33 and had 2 children. He had worked for UPS in Metro DC a few years ago (maybe a peak season hire). Since that time he had worked at either FedEx or DHL and had been with UPS (this time) for 1 1/2 years. I still don't have a name or any other information.

The center involved is about an hour from me so information is coming in piece meal. If any thing comes up about donations etc, I'll post it here. The center is in our division and runs about 14 routes.

Miss Victoria

There are those days where we've probably all avoided accidents and gone home with a sence of relief, however I've never really thought that I may not make it. Yet there is strength in numbers and as a Brown sister I send love and prayers from the north.

Chinstrap

Local 657
There have been twp Teir 3 accidents here in the past week. One driver rear-ended a car while looking at his diad and another had his package car roll-away and hit a parked car. Tis' the Season I guess. Luckly, the injuries were minimal. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families and co-workers of the driver who lost his life.:crying:

hoser

Industrial Slob
no belt? i wonder what the company is gonna to say about that.
i see, way too often, guys in their cubes, both doors open, gunning it down the freeway going 110km/h, no seatbelt. the slightest nuge, even just slipping out of your seat, and you're a gonner

hoser

Industrial Slob
no belt? i wonder what the company is gonna to say about that.
i see, way too often, guys in their cubes, both doors open, gunning it down the freeway going 110km/h, no seatbelt. the slightest nuge, even just slipping out of your seat, and you're a gonner

satellitedriver

A driver in the Lively Virginia Center was killed yesterday in a single vehicle accident. The driver was ejected from the truck and the truck rolled over on him. It looks like the seatbelt was not in use at the time.

I’m posting this at lunch and will try and post additional information tonight. The driver is survived by a wife and child.
He may have made a mistake but it is his family that has to pay the price. Please keep us posted for a relief fund for his family. The hardest work I do all day is to get home safely. My prayers will go out to his family. The rest of you out there. Learn from this. Come home safe to your family.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
He may have made a mistake but it is his family that has to pay the price. Please keep us posted for a relief fund for his family. The hardest work I do all day is to get home safely. My prayers will go out to his family. The rest of you out there. Learn from this. Come home safe to your family.
This was never mentioned at our center, although we heard of two separate fatalities at Fed ex , I think it would hit home to those who defy the seat belt law, which UPS had before it was a law, KUDOS to UPS, if we heard about our own dying because of it. We get paid to belt up whenever the wheels are rollin, end of story. And while I never ever will be accused of being a company guy, this is a no brainer. Our manager told us today that the most important thing we do all day, is go home at night. I have a lot of respect for that comment, because that is my goal every day.

Ms Spoken

Don't you think your prejudgment of this accident is a bit out of line. We don't know if the driver had his belt on or not. My truck is equipped with the same belt this driver had and I always wonder if it would hold if I was involved in a major accident. I know for sure this belt will not keep me from hitting the window if a head on was to happen. JMO but, every truck should have the shoulder harness installed to help keep us safe. I'm just blessed every night that my family is healthy and I make it home safe to see them. My heart goes out to this drivers family.

in the past few yrs we have had 3 rollover accidents on i95 at highway speeds (65mph+) 2 pkg cars have had 2 pt belts and 1 did have a 3 pt belt. both doors were open in all 3 accidents, yet all 3 drivers walked away without seriour injury. the design of the pkg cars and seatbelts may be primative, but seem to keep you from being ejected. IF the driver was in his belt and was still ejected i would bet big money the company would insist that your drivers door be closed on highways from now on. my prayers go out to his family and friends

satellitedriver

Don't you think your prejudgment of this accident is a bit out of line. We don't know if the driver had his belt on or not. My truck is equipped with the same belt this driver had and I always wonder if it would hold if I was involved in a major accident. I know for sure this belt will not keep me from hitting the window if a head on was to happen. JMO but, every truck should have the shoulder harness installed to help keep us safe. I'm just blessed every night that my family is healthy and I make it home safe to see them. My heart goes out to this drivers family.
I did not prejudge.
If you would reread my post, I said he MAY of made a mistake,not that he had. I agree with the shoulder harness. I drive an old 500 that is a lap belt with the pedestal seat only bolted to the floor. I am blessed also. If you think I was out of line, then you missed the point of my post. Doing everything to come home safe and sound is the most important thing any driver can do.
I truly hope you get home safe every night and that your family is there to welcome you home. My heart is in the same place as yours, with his family.

Brown Clown

What we are trying to do for the family is to collect $5 from every driver and anyone else that will give. We are trying to collect from every center in Virginia. This message was givin in our morning meeting by another driver in Virginia Beach. As far as who is spearheading this collection effort I do not know. I gave my $5 and $15 more. I get to have a good Christmas this year. Hopefully we can help his family have a good one too!

bigbrownone

GO BIG RED!!
What we are trying to do for the family is to collect $5 from every driver and anyone else that will give. We are trying to collect from every center in Virginia. This message was givin in our morning meeting by another driver in Virginia Beach. As far as who is spearheading this collection effort I do not know. I gave my $5 and $15 more. I get to have a good Christmas this year. Hopefully we can help his family have a good one too!

It really doesn't matter who spearheaded the collection.

I will find out today if there is an address to send money to and post it here tonight.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I doubt his family will have a good Christmas for yrs to come, but maybe a little cash will alleviate some stress from their lives. Maybe we can get Cheryl to come up with a way many of us who would like to could donate.