Picking Your Pocket

whenIgetthere

Never met the guy, but there was a long-term driver that was reinstated by MT3 after being terminated for not showing up to work.

He was called as a last resort due to a massive staffing issue while he was on vacation, and he agreed to come in to work if management agreed to grant him specific vacation dates.

When the time came, management refused to grant the vacation they guaranteed.

The driver went on the trip he booked, and was subsequently fired.

He was denied reinstatement twice, but ultimately reinstated by MT3 during his third and final request.

In fact, MT3 asked local management why on earth they were trying to get rid of a dedicated long-term employee.

True story ladies and gents.
He told us that every last one of us was lazy and useless. Punch in ninety minutes early to hear that p---k say that. That station had some of the hardest workers I ever saw, alot more than the other stations I worked at.

Meat

He told us that every last one of us was lazy and useless. Punch in ninety minutes early to hear that p---k say that. That station had some of the hardest workers I ever saw, alot more than the other stations I worked at.

In what context did he make that statement?

Did he just start the meeting with “I’m here to tell you that every last one of you is lazy and useless”?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Did he just start the meeting with “I’m here to tell you that every last one of you is lazy and useless”?
MT3 was famous for basically telling us we were lazy. "SPH goes down on Friday", "We need to be more productive" etc. I'm paraphrasing because those aren't his exact words, but the tone was always "You need to do more". I'd watch him at stations because I was an RTD and just view him long enough to wait for his inevitable push to "work harder", and then leave the room. Plus, if you ever saw him in-person, he was a complete A-hole, like a lot of the upper management were. They were like rock stars in their own minds. I still remember an Executive VP who shall remain nameless jetting into our ramp on one of the Challenger business jets. The jet pulled up maybe 100 feet from the station doors, but it was raining, so they limo-ed his perfectly coiffed fat butt to the door. He couldn't walk that short little distance because it might mess up his hair. I was utterly astounded.

He then proceeds to preach to us about cutting costs for 15 minutes, then heads to an hour long meeting with the various seniors. Then the waiting limo takes him 100 feet back to the jet and he leaves.

Empty Pockets

My shill and apologist detractors are always accusing me of hating FedEx, which is absolutely true. I do hate FedEx and Fred with a passion, but my main reason to come on here is to educate people as to just how underhanded, cheap, and nefarious FedEx really is, especially given the current circumstances. But, first, let me take a trip down Memory Lane to remind employees how Fred&Friends have literally done their level best to pick your pocket over the years,

1. Split-Shifts: Need I say any more? If you need a refresher course on this one, let me know.
2. United Way: Manager. "I can put you down for the maximum contribution, right?". Wrong. Every year, FedEx tries to look like a good corporate citizen at YOUR expense. Bugged, pressured, and even threatened with a letter once for telling people to give on their own terms and not be a pawn for Fred. Take that video and stick it high and tight.
3: Weather Lines: I was an RTD for 90% of my career, and we didn't have weather lines, but if the phone rang after 11pm it didn't get answered because A: "We need you to start early", or B; We need you to start late because of weather, MX etc". I never picked up the phone or listened to my answering machine because I wanted to C: Sleep, and then report at my normal 0230 or 0315 start time and get paid for it. As a courier, weather lines are illegal depending on the state you live in, but that won't stop FedEx from calling you when you're in bed, in bed having sex, or in bed having sex with yourself like most managers must because nobody will touch them because they are disgusting individuals.
4: Waiving Minimums: Most prevalent after peak or during economic recessions. One word. NO!
5. FEPAC: Federal Express Political Action Committee. This was a way you could deduct funds directly from your paycheck to go to lobbyists who would then do everything possible to keep you from unionizing and create employer friendly laws for FedEx. Yes, this really existed, and yes, some people were dumb enough to donate to an organization dedicated to screwing the employee.
6.BBQs and Lunches: These were usually UNPAID events in order to celebrate a promotion, retirement or anniversary of significance. Somewhere during your delicious COSTCO burger or hot dog and your puny bad of chips, out comes the clipboard, and "As long as we're all here together celebrating Tom's 10th Anniversary, lets talk for a moment about Code 41s". So, they get a free unpaid meeting for the price of some lousy food and warm soda. I would never attend any of them, and when harassed, my answer was always if :"It's operationally related and important it needs to be paid'.
7.Draconian Attendance Policies: for a long time, you could be 30 seconds late and be charged as if you had the whole day off. Discipline =letters and lower review scores=less money and fewer raises. if there was a fatal accident or emergency on the road and I was going to be unavoidably late I always called my manager and asked if he was going to charge me for a late even though all 4 lanes of the freeway were closed. If he said "yes", I told him I was heading home ill and that my run would need to be covered. It always worked.
8. Remote Parking: Our ramp expended and killed the personal vehicle parking lot. If you were a manager, sales, or had at least 20 years, you could park in the tiny lot that remained.. If not, you got to ride the airport shuttle, a 15 minute ride to a stop where you then had to walk 1/3rd of a mile into a centrally located timeclock from the bus stop.. If the bus was full or late, too bad. You got a late and eventually an OLCC, which killed your raise chances. Oh, and it added another hour of unpaid time onto your day.
9: You had 12 hours yesterday, so you can only work 6 today. Or 4, or 12 if somebody doesn't show up, but probably 4. Our heads are so far up our butts we can see out our nostrils.

There's so much more, but this is just a start on the lesson of how they screw you every which way they can at every opportunity to avoid paying you money. They are so effing cheap and utterly shameless. please feel free to tune-in tomorrow when the apologist and the shill will both tell me how lucky I was to have ever worked for such a wonderful organization.

PSP, Golden Falcon, and Bravo Zulu to all of you upper management types and your hit-men and women at the station level. Screw all of you for being part of any of this.
Many years ago, I disliked the folks that bashed the company, but as most folks with five years of service, I believed what I was being told by FedEx. Around the ten year mark, you hear horrible and nearly unbelievable stories of things that have happened to others, but still are a company man. Before the fifteenth year, it has happened to you. You are disgusted, feel like you have been kicked in the nuts, and are just hoping to make it to twenty years. Folks with thirty years have battle scars and PTSD.

Oh, and do not forget....
1. Around 1990, our manager announce that raises were getting cut in half. I had just started and making $7.44 per hour in the hub. My first raise was .45. Around the year 2000, we went to only one raise per year, cutting raises in half again. In 2016, performance reviews were done away with along with night dif and split shift. A standard raise was implemented which was not every year but was only 2% when given. Raises before with a perfect 7 review was 4.5%. Therefore raises were cut to about 30% of what they previously were. Mathematically, 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/3 = 1/12, our raises today are one twelfth what they were in 1990. Two years ago, when top out for RTD was $29.90, we got a .60 raise. Thirty two years ago, my first raise was .45 on the $7.44. That is crap, oh, but wait... we gotta make that raises for the first YEAR so it was about .90 for the first year so I actually got a .30 less raise after 32 freaking years. Thanks Fred
2. No raises for top out in the 90s and then cutting the raises.
3. The old pay scale pre 2016 Ten Step Plan would take 17 raises to hit top out.(15.84-24.93). If they just gave the top or range a raise every other year, it would double the time to TOR to 34 years. You have to be 21 years old to get a CDL. You would be no less than 55 years old before ever even being close to TOR.
4. Most recently, right after Christmas, we had ice and work was canceled both Monday and Tuesday night. Wednesday night, I pulled my trailers into the hub and nothing was processed. Thursday night, we dropped ALL freight PO1, HAZ, station pulls with tissue samples, whatever, into a lot on Rental Road to be processed over the weekend. Friday night, we did the same thing but had to use the old Amazon lot on Pearson Rd. This freight sat there until Sunday. MY POINT, how low do you have to be to keep selling PO1 service to the customers knowing that it was gonna be a week late without telling anyone. FedEx did and claimed "Act of God" for the lates. Well, it was an Act of God for Mon and Tues, however, Wed, Thurs, and Fri was an "Act of FedEx." Folks should have been notified. There were tissue samples picked up from the hospital that sat in a trailer for four days rotting. We got many dead flowers customers refused delivery. OH, and my God, the freaking chickens that we sent all starved to death in a freaking cardboard box. I bet you money they sold every PO1 shipment and grabbed that money like a chicken on a June bug.

6.BBQs and Lunches: These were usually UNPAID events in order to celebrate a promotion, retirement or anniversary of significance. Somewhere during your delicious COSTCO burger or hot dog and your puny bad of chips, out comes the clipboard, and "As long as we're all here together celebrating Tom's 10th Anniversary, lets talk for a moment about Code 41s". So, they get a free unpaid meeting for the price of some lousy food and warm soda. I would never attend any of them, and when harassed, my answer was always if :"It's operationally related and important it needs to be paid'.
In over thirty years, I have never been to a FedEx Christmas party or was given a turkey or ham. We never even got a Christmas Bonus. Ten years ago, the Christmas Party they advertised cost $20 per person and had a dance contest with a $50 prize. Nope, not me

Empty Pockets

A friend of a friend was a team leader at DFWRT. He was a very hard worker and would unload trucks while everyone else was on break to catch up. One day, the Sr. Manager saw this guy and gave him a $100 BZ. So he continued to do a great job and about six months later, while unloading a contract roller trailer, a container strap broke while he was pulling it. He fell and the can ran over his leg and broke his leg. Contract trailers had the bolt in rollers with just two small walking paths between the rollers. The same Sr. Manager fired him for "Violation of Insurance and Benefits." WTF! I was just like this guy and this story, along with others, changed me. Today, I am, well, you take the most worthless driver you have working with you. My goal is to be one step faster than that guy. Every day I come in I look for THAT GUY to make sure he is there. As long as he is I will continue one step in front of him and I should be guaranteed a job. I will always be just a little better than the most worthless guy because they do not do enough to mess up. The folks running too fast or trying to do two mens job will always make a mistake and will be punished.

Empty Pockets

Hehe, another story...
I was RTD on a small ramp. After losing a long haul route, I became mostly a handler on the ramp so I slowly migrated to loading the aircraft. One night, I am loading topside all by myself about 22:15, plane due out at 22:38, I had loaded from pos 12 to pos 5. I always put pos 4 in the haz spot for balance. When I pulled it from pos 1 to 4m mt Sr. Manager popped through the 9g net and asked me who the topside captain was. I said I was and he asked for a load sheet. I showed him a used container closeout slip that I had written as I loaded by inside Ramp Agent by radio. He said that was not good enough and asked who the loader operator was. I said it was me too. He asked who the tug driver was and I said, "It was me and I Was the best." He asked who the pin person was and I said it was me also. Later, I was called into the managers office and got wrote up for not loading the aircraft with a TDR or other people. I told him, "you cannot do that. I have been loading this plane like this for 2 years. The ontime went from 75% to 98% with me out there If you are gonna write up anyone, you should write up the four bastages that were not doing their job and not the guy that was saving their butts every night." The wuss did write me up and then had a secondary compliment which looked something like this....

00) Tonight Buddy loaded the airplane by himself without a load sheet and should not be doing so.

01) Buddy has loaded topside by himself for two years and has a 98% on time percentage

WTF! A complaint and a compliment that says the same thing just worded differently. What a wussy

dezguy

Hehe, another story...
I was RTD on a small ramp. After losing a long haul route, I became mostly a handler on the ramp so I slowly migrated to loading the aircraft. One night, I am loading topside all by myself about 22:15, plane due out at 22:38, I had loaded from pos 12 to pos 5. I always put pos 4 in the haz spot for balance. When I pulled it from pos 1 to 4m mt Sr. Manager popped through the 9g net and asked me who the topside captain was. I said I was and he asked for a load sheet. I showed him a used container closeout slip that I had written as I loaded by inside Ramp Agent by radio. He said that was not good enough and asked who the loader operator was. I said it was me too. He asked who the tug driver was and I said, "It was me and I Was the best." He asked who the pin person was and I said it was me also. Later, I was called into the managers office and got wrote up for not loading the aircraft with a TDR or other people. I told him, "you cannot do that. I have been loading this plane like this for 2 years. The ontime went from 75% to 98% with me out there If you are gonna write up anyone, you should write up the four bastages that were not doing their job and not the guy that was saving their butts every night." The wuss did write me up and then had a secondary compliment which looked something like this....

00) Tonight Buddy loaded the airplane by himself without a load sheet and should not be doing so.

01) Buddy has loaded topside by himself for two years and has a 98% on time percentage

WTF! A complaint and a compliment that says the same thing just worded differently. What a wussy
Knew a guy that recieved a BZ and a day suspension on the same day.

Great work, here's a BZ. BTW you're taking tomorrow off because you did X.

AB831

A friend of a friend was a team leader at DFWRT. He was a very hard worker and would unload trucks while everyone else was on break to catch up. One day, the Sr. Manager saw this guy and gave him a $100 BZ. So he continued to do a great job and about six months later, while unloading a contract roller trailer, a container strap broke while he was pulling it. He fell and the can ran over his leg and broke his leg. Contract trailers had the bolt in rollers with just two small walking paths between the rollers. The same Sr. Manager fired him for "Violation of Insurance and Benefits." WTF! I was just like this guy and this story, along with others, changed me. Today, I am, well, you take the most worthless driver you have working with you. My goal is to be one step faster than that guy. Every day I come in I look for THAT GUY to make sure he is there. As long as he is I will continue one step in front of him and I should be guaranteed a job. I will always be just a little better than the most worthless guy because they do not do enough to mess up. The folks running too fast or trying to do two mens job will always make a mistake and will be punished.
Our dispatcher walked on a prosthetic leg because the one he was born with was amputated after a car came over the median and hit his sprinter head on. The prosthetic was part of the lawsuit he filed because the company deemed the accident “at fault” and didn’t offer him a red cent. Despite this, he was probably one of the biggest company men I knew while I was there.

whenIgetthere

He berated us all for having SPH that were unsatisfactory. That was a very busy station , lots of bulks, and most pick up routes bulked out most nights.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
He berated us all for having SPH that were unsatisfactory. That was a very busy station , lots of bulks, and most pick up routes bulked out most nights.
Would love to see MT3 attempting to run even a normal in-town p/u route. He couldn’t do it. He’d have a heart attack by the third stop.

Mutineer

MT3 was famous for basically telling us we were lazy. "SPH goes down on Friday", "We need to be more productive" etc. I'm paraphrasing because those aren't his exact words, but the tone was always "You need to do more". I'd watch him at stations because I was an RTD and just view him long enough to wait for his inevitable push to "work harder", and then leave the room. Plus, if you ever saw him in-person, he was a complete A-hole, like a lot of the upper management were. They were like rock stars in their own minds. I still remember an Executive VP who shall remain nameless jetting into our ramp on one of the Challenger business jets. The jet pulled up maybe 100 feet from the station doors, but it was raining, so they limo-ed his perfectly coiffed fat butt to the door. He couldn't walk that short little distance because it might mess up his hair. I was utterly astounded.

He then proceeds to preach to us about cutting costs for 15 minutes, then heads to an hour long meeting with the various seniors. Then the waiting limo takes him 100 feet back to the jet and he leaves.

That is known as a Seagull Management style.

It is not unique to FedEx, and can be found anywhere in the world where there are managers. I have observed this style of management in more than one workplace.

Many years ago; a grizzled, old coworker described it to me as follows:

swoop in, squawk, strut around, crap upon everything, and fly away.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
At one time I actually wanted to be a manager. I ran Saturday Ops in addition to being an RTD/Ramp Agent., and did various projects for the Ramp Senior in order to help prepare me for "leadership". So, one day I'm in his office going over reports and it's time for a conference call. I get up to leave, but he says to stay and listen but offer no input. None of the other call participants (all managers) knew I was in the room.
The call was all about injuries and was basically a session where they tried to make Non-preventable injuries "preventable". The first was a handler who had her hand smashed flat by a heavy crate that had been top loaded in an AMJ and fell directly onto her. She was scanning, and had her back to the can. PREVENTABLE. Because she should have assessed the can and "anticipated the hazard". The second case was another female who had torn her rotator cuff wrestling with a 100# box that actually weighed 158#. PREVENTABLE, They tossed this around and went into her outside activities, which included softball and golf, so the "go to" became that her injury occurred off the job and that she was lying about it. Never mind that there were several witnesses that heard a distinct crack/pop when she was trying to move the box and saw her writhing in pain. She had asked for assistance to move the box but none was available because they were short of bodies on the sort, so nobody could help.The box was directly in the way of being able to perform the sort.
That was enough for me, and I got up and left and several days later said I was dropping out of LEAP. I wouldn't be part of that level of deception and lies. BTW, when we were looking at reports the Senior was simultaneously telling me how to cook the books and get the numbers "right".
The strapless and damaged cans were common, as in they wouldn't roll because the floors were bent or the door were defective and bulged out into the sidewall of the CTV, making them very difficult to move. And, yes, having a can strap break while you were pulling on it with full force was pretty common. Rather than replace them, FedEx would tie them off in a knot on one side. We had rental trailers with NO rollers at all. Usually it was MTs, which wasn't a big deal, but sometimes they had a big forklift on the other end and would put in loaded cans if they were desperate enough for trailers. Rental trailers almost always had missing/bent rollers or weren't even secured to the floor. It was very easy to slip or trip and then have a can roll over you. PREVENTABLE.
I knew so many people over the years that had OTJ injuries that were either afraid to report them or delayed reporting them, which ensured it would be ruled "preventable" and off the job. Employees were scared to report injuries, which is the whole reason for implementing the "Non-preventable/preventable" protocol. Insurance companies know this is an absolutely effective means of driving injury numbers down falsely and was an incentive for management to lie because they were evaluated upon their injury rates.
Don't get me started on vehicle accidents because the running joke was that if your FedEx truck was hit by a meteor it would be your fault because you had failed to anticipate the hazard.
Utterly shameless. PSP in action.

Last edited:

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Many years ago, I disliked the folks that bashed the company, but as most folks with five years of service, I believed what I was being told by FedEx. Around the ten year mark, you hear horrible and nearly unbelievable stories of things that have happened to others, but still are a company man. Before the fifteenth year, it has happened to you. You are disgusted, feel like you have been kicked in the nuts, and are just hoping to make it to twenty years. Folks with thirty years have battle scars and PTSD.

Oh, and do not forget....
1. Around 1990, our manager announce that raises were getting cut in half. I had just started and making $7.44 per hour in the hub. My first raise was .45. Around the year 2000, we went to only one raise per year, cutting raises in half again. In 2016, performance reviews were done away with along with night dif and split shift. A standard raise was implemented which was not every year but was only 2% when given. Raises before with a perfect 7 review was 4.5%. Therefore raises were cut to about 30% of what they previously were. Mathematically, 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/3 = 1/12, our raises today are one twelfth what they were in 1990. Two years ago, when top out for RTD was $29.90, we got a .60 raise. Thirty two years ago, my first raise was .45 on the $7.44. That is crap, oh, but wait... we gotta make that raises for the first YEAR so it was about .90 for the first year so I actually got a .30 less raise after 32 freaking years. Thanks Fred
At one time I actually wanted to be a manager. I ran Saturday Ops in addition to being an RTD/Ramp Agent., and did various projects for the Ramp Senior in order to help prepare me for "leadership". So, one day I'm in his office going over reports and it's time for a conference call. I get up to leave, but he says to stay and listen but offer no input. None of the other call participants (all managers) knew I was in the room.
The call was all about injuries and was basically a session where they tried to make Non-preventable injuries "preventable". The first was a handler who had her hand smashed flat by a heavy crate that had been top loaded in an AMJ and fell directly onto her. She was scanning, and had her back to the can. PREVENTABLE. Because she should have assessed the can and "anticipated the hazard". The second case was another female who had torn her rotator cuff wrestling with a 100# box that actually weighed 158#. PREVENTABLE, They tossed this around and went into her outside activities, which included softball and golf, so the "go to" became that her injury occurred off the job and that she was lying about it. Never mind that there were several witnesses that heard a distinct crack/pop when she was trying to move the box and saw her writhing in pain. She had asked for assistance to move the box but none was available because they were short of bodies on the sort, so nobody was available.
That was enough for me, and I got up and left and several days later said I was dropping out of LEAP.
The strapless and damaged cans were common, as in they wouldn't roll because the floors were bent or the door were defective and bulged out into the sidewall of the CTV, making them very difficult to move. And, yes, having a can strap break while you were pulling on it with full force was pretty common. Rather than replace them, FedEx would tie them off in a knot on one side. We had rental trailers with NO rollers at all. Usually it was MTs, which wasn't a big deal, but sometimes they had a big forklift on the other end and would put in loaded cans if they were desperate enough for trailers. Rental trailers almost always had missing/bent rollers or weren't even secured to the floor. It was very easy to slip or trip and then have a can roll over you. PREVENTABLE.
I knew so many people over the years that had OTJ injuries that were either afraid to report them or delayed reporting them, which ensured it would be ruled "preventable" and off the job. Employees were scared to report injuries, which is the whole reason for implementing the "Non-preventable/preventable" protocol. Insurance companies know this is an absolutely effective means of driving injury numbers down falsely and was an incentive for management to lie because they were evaluated upon their injury rates.
Don't get me started on vehicle accidents because the running joke was that if your FedEx truck was hit by a meteor it would be your fault because you had failed to anticipate the hazard.
Fred sure has hired his share of assbags in 50 years. Most of them so eager to kiss his ass and make a name for themselves. What a soulless bunch that should be selling shoes at best.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Our dispatcher walked on a prosthetic leg because the one he was born with was amputated after a car came over the median and hit his sprinter head on. The prosthetic was part of the lawsuit he filed because the company deemed the accident “at fault” and didn’t offer him a red cent. Despite this, he was probably one of the biggest company men I knew while I was there.
We used to have a station that was side-load into curtain-side CTV. You could only get the trailer about a foot away from the decking, otherwise you couldn't get it around the 90 degree corner that exited the station without having the trailer overhang whack the dock. RTDs that weren't very skilled had about a 2-foot gap, which was sometimes angled because they couldn't get the trailer straight. The solution was to use thin aluminum plates to bridge the gap, which had no means to securely lock into the deck grating. They were also only about 2 feet wide, and a mis-step was about 5 feet straight to the concrete after bashing your head or other body part on the truck on the way down.
We had 2 people fall through and get badly injured. One sued, received a settlement, and left the company. The second, who was very badly hurt, accepted a job that was specifically created for him servicing FedEx facilities. He didn't sue. As soon as their official liability period was over for reporting an OTJ injury, they terminated this guy, who just fell off a cliff in terms of it affecting his life. Besides the life-changing aspects of his injury, he lost his home and had some other bad things happen. Last I heard, he was on the street and homeless.

All calculated. If he had only sued and gotten some justice.

Empty Pockets

Fred sure has hired his share of assbags in 50 years. Most of them so eager to kiss his ass and make a name for themselves. What a soulless bunch that should be selling shoes at best.
I think that is what they started hiring 30 years ago.

Damn, what a low down POS company

Knew a guy that recieved a BZ and a day suspension on the same day.

Great work, here's a BZ. BTW you're taking tomorrow off because you did X.
Lordy, If I knew all this 30 years ago, I would have done something else.

The call was all about injuries and was basically a session where they tried to make Non-preventable injuries "preventable". The first was a handler who had her hand smashed flat by a heavy crate that had been top loaded in an AMJ and fell directly onto her. She was scanning, and had her back to the can. PREVENTABLE. Because she should have assessed the can and "anticipated the hazard". The second case was another female who had torn her rotator cuff wrestling with a 100# box that actually weighed 158#. PREVENTABLE, They tossed this around and went into her outside activities, which included softball and golf, so the "go to" became that her injury occurred off the job and that she was lying about it. Never mind that there were several witnesses that heard a distinct crack/pop when she was trying to move the box and saw her writhing in pain. She had asked for assistance to move the box but none was available because they were short of bodies on the sort, so nobody could help.The box was directly in the way of being able to perform the sort.
That was enough for me, and I got up and left and several days later said I was dropping out of LEAP. I wouldn't be part of that level of deception and lies. BTW, when we were looking at reports the Senior was simultaneously telling me how to cook the books and get the numbers "right".
I did not know that they were so care free and open about it. Yup, I always told folks that if you got hit by a plane crashing, it would be preventable.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Whose MT3?
download-2.jpg

AKA "Fluttering Hands"