Father baby leave

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Kid born on January--- 6 weeks FMLA.

10 months later---6 more weeks to stay home and "play Daddy"?

Very unfair to your co-workers .
How is it unfair to co-workers?

Staffing issues are the company's problem. There is no shortage of part-timers who have signed up to drive. Put them to work. Hell, the company even saves money if a full-scale driver takes FMLA and is replaced by a new hire who drives for $16 an hour.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How is it unfair to co-workers?

Staffing issues are the company's problem. There is no shortage of part-timers who have signed up to drive. Put them to work. Hell, the company even saves money if a full-scale driver takes FMLA and is replaced by a new hire who drives for $16 an hour.

I would love to take Peak off---we all would---but it is simply unfair to take 6 weeks of FMLA just to skip Christmas.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I would love to take Peak off---we all would---but it is simply unfair to take 6 weeks of FMLA just to skip Christmas.
My center was using package car drivers as helpers throughout peak last year. Maybe they over hired because of the fiasco the year before. Better to have some reserves on the bench for "stuff" that comes up, such as FMLA, injuries, etc.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
It was a lot of single day bs. Scheduling doctors appointments on Friday and such.

They denied them and that was that.
Are you saying that someone who had been approved for intermittent fmla would still have to request the day off and your boss could deny it?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Are you saying that someone who had been approved for intermittent fmla would have to request the day off and your boss could deny it?
They weren't ever really approved I don't think.

They were saying fmla gave them the right to be off for every doctors app for their kids.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
They weren't ever really approved I don't think.

They were saying fmla gave them the right to be off for every doctors app for their kids.
That has to be it. Once you've submitted the paperwork and been approved you just call and notify the center whenever you're going to take an fmla day, your boss doesn't have any say so in the matter.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Are you saying that someone who had been approved for intermittent fmla would still have to request the day off and your boss could deny it?
I was on fmla, during Christmas, after my husbands, illness, not a child, still fmla. Peak day he had an appointment He could not drive to, they asked me to have the cardiologist to change it til after the first of January. Did I take it off, or did I honor their request? You know the answer. And all the stuff got delivered, just fine.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I was on fmla, during Christmas, after my husbands, illness, not a child, still fmla. Peak day he had an appointment He could not drive to, they asked me to have the cardiologist to change it til after the first of January. Did I take it off, or did I honor their request? You know the answer. And all the stuff got delivered, just fine.
And the sad thing is that if they had treated you like a decent human being for the rest of the year you might have actually considered their request because that's the kind of person you are. You get what you give.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
And the sad thing is that if they had treated you like a decent human being for the rest of the year you might have actually considered their request because that's the kind of person you are. You get what you give.
Well thank you Jones. yes I would have, because it was not life and death at that point.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Really? Losing a bid driver during Peak can have a huge impact.

Would it shut down the whole operation during peak if this happened??? Ummm no.

Peak is now year round except in the BOG and yet drivers still take vacations and days off. Amazing that ups still gets it delivered and makes billions.

Again, your point being???

norcalbrown

Took 3 weeks and it cost you NONE of your perks. Nothing lower than missing peak to be with your child? Really? I can think of a few things lower. Peak is essentially year round unless you get on the 9.5 list.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I took 12 weeks FMLA for birth and bonding of our twins. Wouldn't have changed it for the world, people always comment how great a relationship I have with my kids and I believe it was that time spent bonding with them. In my state it has to be taken consecutively. I remember the first week back to work my old center manager but me on three different trips, all blind, as retaliation for FMLA. This place could give a rats ass if you see your kids, take the allotted time allowed by LAW, and enjoy it however you see fit.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I took 12 weeks FMLA for birth and bonding of our twins. Wouldn't have changed it for the world, people always comment how great a relationship I have with my kids and I believe it was that time spent bonding with them. In my state it has to be taken consecutively. I remember the first week back to work my old center manager but me on three different trips, all blind, as retaliation for FMLA. This place could give a rats ass if you see your kids, take the allotted time allowed by LAW, and enjoy it however you see fit.

I 100% agree that spending time with your newborn is priceless; however, even a blind man can see that taking 6 weeks when they are born (January) and the remaining 6 weeks during Peak is nothing more than a way to get out of working during Peak.

Indecisi0n

Is there any other excuse I can use for FMLA other than having a kid? What if I adopted a few puppies or kittens? Is there a puppy bonding allowance?

govols019

You smell that?
I 100% agree that spending time with your newborn is priceless; however, even a blind man can see that taking 6 weeks when they are born (January) and the remaining 6 weeks during Peak is nothing more than a way to get out of working during Peak.

Why do you care what someone else does? Did it personally affect you?

Overpaid Union Thug

Upstate does have a point. But would those people have taken all that FMLA if peak hadn't been coming up? Who knows for sure. All I know is that if its legal then there's nothing that can be done about it. Plus....I'd do the same thing. LOL! I hate peak and now hate it enough to take full advantage of any opportunity to get out of it. Hell....I'm trying to get back in the Air National Guard and I plan on getting orders cut to work there during as many peaks as I can. And I won't feel the least bit guilty about it. I'll just consider it payback time for all those times I've been wronged or screwed by the company and those on the hourly side that actually screw their fellow drivers over as much (or even more) than management does.