FED EX misclassifies employees

bbsam

Staff member
bbsam: you can say any rude or insulting thing about me you want that's because I have moved on but until you put a wage and benefit package on the table that will stand on it's own only then can you say that you are a stand up employer and offers the pay that can back it up there by allowing you to ascend to the level of respect reputable employers enjoy.
"...respect reputable employers enjoy."

Are you for real?!

bacha29

UPS is still numero uno in the industry. By the way just a few weeks ago you plainly stated that you provide no employer paid benefits or at least those which cost real money like health care and pension.

It will be fine

UPS is still numero uno in the industry. By the way just a few weeks ago you plainly stated that you provide no employer paid benefits or at least those which cost real money like health care and pension.
People still want the job. The market continues to decide that my wage and benefit offerings are enough to attract qualified candidates. UPS is a crazy outlier for wages for local light duty truck driver. They pay at least double market level wages. Express pays above average. Your argument is nonsense.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
People still want the job. The market continues to decide that my wage and benefit offerings are enough to attract qualified candidates. UPS is a crazy outlier for wages for local light duty truck driver. They pay at least double market level wages. Express pays above average. Your argument is nonsense.

Market level is GOP/Libertarian BS, just like the "free market". You employ the underclass or under-qualified who can't get a job driving for one of the better, higher-paying transportation companies or in another industry.

The scam depends on an underclass willing to work for "independent businessmen" like yourself. Your competition is WalMart, OnTrac, and McDonalds's.

bbsam

Staff member
Market level is GOP/Libertarian BS, just like the "free market". You employ the underclass or under-qualified who can't get a job driving for one of the better, higher-paying transportation companies or in another industry.

The scam depends on an underclass willing to work for "independent businessmen" like yourself. Your competition is WalMart, OnTrac, and McDonalds's.
As long as that pool exists, it will be that way. I have never lost a driver to those employers.

Do you have some kind of superiority complex?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
As long as that pool exists, it will be that way. I have never lost a driver to those employers.

Do you have some kind of superiority complex?

Yes, I do...not. Do you? Does the Quad Cities metropolis even have On Trac? Your demographics are a bit different from other parts of the country. Maybe you don't realize that.

bbsam

Staff member
Yes, I do...not. Do you? Does the Quad Cities metropolis even have On Trac? Your demographics are a bit different from other parts of the country. Maybe you don't realize that.
We don't have OnTrac. We had Priority Express...haven't seen them in a while. There is Speedee locally.

Yes. The demographics may be different. Are you suggesting that bbsam inc. might not be such a bad job in the area afterall?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
We don't have OnTrac. We had Priority Express...haven't seen them in a while. There is Speedee locally.

Yes. The demographics may be different. Are you suggesting that bbsam inc. might not be such a bad job in the area afterall?

For the Quad Cities, maybe not. For NYC, SFO, or LAX, perhaps the underclass are the only ones who are going to work for what Ground pays.

bacha29

There is little doubt than that sometime in the not too distant future the majority of ISP's will find themselves caught between upward pressure for an improved compensation package and even more downward pressure from Ground to do the job for even less and there will be nothing the ISP"s can do about it. Especially when you consider the fact that before they could become ISP's they had to sign away their right to sue in exchange for a small payment and to forfeit their right to have their attorney present during the (cough) 'negotiation" of a contract. The only advanatge an ISP has going for them is the ability to obtain low wage employees. When that's gone , game over. It is for that reason that I have wanted to put together the experiences I and others have had with X in the past to see if the was some way to make the kind of improvements in the contract language that were designed to protect contractor equity not what you have now a contract designed exclusively to protect shareholder equity only. But I now see that there are too many who continue to over state their importance to that company in order to allow themselves to close their eyes to the fact that they have signed away all of legal recourse they would have otherwise had.

bbsam

Staff member
There is little doubt than that sometime in the not too distant future the majority of ISP's will find themselves caught between upward pressure for an improved compensation package and even more downward pressure from Ground to do the job for even less and there will be nothing the ISP"s can do about it. Especially when you consider the fact that before they could become ISP's they had to sign away their right to sue in exchange for a small payment and to forfeit their right to have their attorney present during the (cough) 'negotiation" of a contract. The only advanatge an ISP has going for them is the ability to obtain low wage employees. When that's gone , game over. It is for that reason that I have wanted to put together the experiences I and others have had with X in the past to see if the was some way to make the kind of improvements in the contract language that were designed to protect contractor equity not what you have now a contract designed exclusively to protect shareholder equity only. But I now see that there are too many who continue to over state their importance to that company in order to allow themselves to close their eyes to the fact that they have signed away all of legal recourse they would have otherwise had.
No, Bacha. It's not "over importance". It's the simple realization that at this time there is no shortage of people willing to work for what Ground contractors pay. Even moreso, there really isn't a shortage of people who would be more than willing to take my position. You and others insist that one day that will change. It won't change over night and when it does, it won't be the only part of the economic landscape that changes.

Much of what you say has some merit but you don't take nearly enough into consideration. Big business and big government and the marriage between the two prefer the status quo.

bacha29

bbsam : I could not have said it better. The president doesn't run the country neither does Congress. The Federal Reserve Board which as you know is comprised of the nation's leading banks runs the entire operation . As time goes by more Americans will realize that and all the political grandstanding you see today will continue to become even more material for Saturday Night LIve.

bbsam

Staff member
bbsam : I could not have said it better. The president doesn't run the country neither does Congress. The Federal Reserve Board which as you know is comprised of the nation's leading banks runs the entire operation . As time goes by more Americans will realize that and all the political grandstanding you see today will continue to become even more material for Saturday Night LIve.
If all that could take place overnight you might see a monumental shift and people making a stand. Just doesn't happen.

bacha29

Right Markets are so complex and confusing that the average person doesn't understand them. I make a few stock trades per year maybe a dozen and I can tell you that the socalled experts at the two brokerage houses I have accounts with know about as much as you and I when it comes to trading stock. Things will continue to limp along.

bbsam

Staff member
Right Markets are so complex and confusing that the average person doesn't understand them. I make a few stock trades per year maybe a dozen and I can tell you that the socalled experts at the two brokerage houses I have accounts with know about as much as you and I when it comes to trading stock. Things will continue to limp along.
And the Walmarts, Fedexes, and Kmart so will continue happily along. Well, maybe not Kmart.