Chaos

It will be fine

I think you’ve hit upon just why having such folks in charge is ludicrous. But in case it’s a bit dense for you… Those who’ve not done it don’t have real time experience of what it’s like and what the challenges are. Totally theoretical guesses looking at a display from a desk don’t convey much reality. Nor garner any respect from drivers.
The counter to that is also true. A bunch of truck drivers that have never managed a workforce or corporate budget think their opinions on corporate management should be respected. They’ve never done the job so why should they be listened to?

MAKAVELI

The counter to that is also true. A bunch of truck drivers that have never managed a workforce or corporate budget think their opinions on corporate management should be respected. They’ve never done the job so why should they be listened to?
Why? Because you want the workers to buy into the direction of management. When a company has a workforce that believes in the company's mission it helps the overall success of the company.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I always loved the people who make a big deal that the boss never did the job (or can't do it better than the person tasked with doing it) but is in charge of those that do.
Well if they can’t, that just makes them paid critics.

And I’m already married!

MassWineGuy

I see your point and it’s not altogether inaccurate. Plenty of drivers would make awful managers. But I think it’s outweighed by a) having managers who have the ability to manage others well, and b) said managers coming up through the ranks so when they tell drivers what to do they’ll know it’s based on actual experience.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I think you’ve hit upon just why having such folks in charge is ludicrous. But in case it’s a bit dense for you… Those who’ve not done it don’t have real time experience of what it’s like and what the challenges are. Totally theoretical guesses looking at a display from a desk don’t convey much reality. Nor garner any respect from drivers.
You mean like those NFL coaches, GM's, and owners who never took a snap? People like that? Why are they allowed to run things???

You bring up looking at a computer screen. That can tell you a lot, and it's hard to refute it. Must be why it bugs you.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I see your point and it’s not altogether inaccurate. Plenty of drivers would make awful managers. But I think it’s outweighed by a) having managers who have the ability to manage others well, and b) said managers coming up through the ranks so when they tell drivers what to do they’ll know it’s based on actual experience.
The worst Express DGO managers were almost always couriers, and usually good couriers at that. The value of coming up through the ranks isn't not as big a deal as you think it is.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
You mean like those NFL coaches, GM's, and owners who never took a snap? People like that? Why are they allowed to run things???

You bring up looking at a computer screen. That can tell you a lot, and it's hard to refute it. Must be why it bugs you.
His name kinda says it all doesn’t it? Whining all the time.

MassWineGuy

Probably. Although I did manage to refute it. Dots on a screen provide no context of what happened. Just like someone who doesn’t really know what the job is like.

bacha29

They are quite capable of performing the task provided that they are in the same position you're currently in where somebody else not you is making all the the decisions that actually matter.

It will be fine

They are quite capable of performing the task provided that they are in the same position you're currently in where somebody else not you is making all the the decisions that actually matter.
You could be in my position. If the decisions I make are of no consequence and I make money it seems like you made a bad decision to not take that position. I don’t think you really thought through this attempt at an insult.

bacha29

You could be in my position. If the decisions I make are of no consequence and I make money it seems like you made a bad decision to not take that position. I don’t think you really thought through this attempt at an insult.
I am well aware of your position and we've been through this before This is when you start, this is when you stop, this is what you wear, this is where you go , this how you do it etc. etc.....And you're an "independent contractor"....lol.
Look, I and many others have been in your position and given the number of contracts currently on the market there is plenty of opportunity for others highly qualified to place themselves in your position but chose not to because the odds always favor the house. You roll the dice and place your bets on the following:
1. You can always find enough people who can pass the initial drug test.
2. Will always pass every random drug test.
3. Show up for work everyday clean, sober in a condition to drive and a willingness perform strenuous labor.
4. Match or exceed the average daily production of a UPS driver on a continuous daily basis.
5. And do it for half the wages ( will soon be less than half) and in most cases zero employer funded benefits.

All this for a unilaterally drafted and implemented 1 year contract whose profitability has by your own admission been going down in recent years with no bottom in sight. totally lacks language that provides protection for contractor investment and provides no legal process by which disputes and grievances can litigated on a fair and balanced playing field.

Yes, we are well aware of your position and it would appear that you actually enjoy serving in your current capacity of Raj and Fat Freddy's powerless little servant. And that's perfectly fine.

It will be fine

I am well aware of your position and we've been through this before This is when you start, this is when you stop, this is what you wear, this is where you go , this how you do it etc. etc.....And you're an "independent contractor"....lol.
Look, I and many others have been in your position and given the number of contracts currently on the market there is plenty of opportunity for others highly qualified to place themselves in your position but chose not to because the odds always favor the house. You roll the dice and place your bets on the following:
1. You can always find enough people who can pass the initial drug test.
2. Will always pass every random drug test.
3. Show up for work everyday clean, sober in a condition to drive and a willingness perform strenuous labor.
4. Match or exceed the average daily production of a UPS driver on a continuous daily basis.
5. And do it for half the wages ( will soon be less than half) and in most cases zero employer funded benefits.

All this for a unilaterally drafted and implemented 1 year contract whose profitability has by your own admission been going down in recent years with no bottom in sight. totally lacks language that provides protection for contractor investment and provides no legal process by which disputes and grievances can litigated on a fair and balanced playing field.

Yes, we are well aware of your position and it would appear that you actually enjoy serving in your current capacity of Raj and Fat Freddy's powerless little servant. And that's perfectly fine.
No one has told me when to start or end work or what to wear or where I go, that’s just a stupid assertion to make.

Recruiting drivers is not a roll of the dice. It’s not luck.

Any other basic fundamentals you’d like to display your ignorance about?

bacha29

No one has told me when to start or end work or what to wear or where I go, that’s just a stupid assertion to make.

Recruiting drivers is not a roll of the dice. It’s not luck.

Any other basic fundamentals you’d like to display your ignorance about?
One fact that stands out here you didn't deny. You serve totally at the discretion, will , power and direction of the parent corporation with zero objection. And if you were to offer even token resistance let along take a meaningful stand in your own defense you are guaranteed to be this year's winner of the Spencer Patton Trophy and all the prizes that go with it.

UnionStrong

One fact that stands out here you didn't deny. You serve totally at the discretion, will , power and direction of the parent corporation with zero objection. And if you were to offer even token resistance let along take a meaningful stand in your own defense you are guaranteed to be this year's winner of the Spencer Patton Trophy and all the prizes that go with it.
He’s basically a tool of FedEx, that they can replace whenever, or however they want, and he has little if any recourse.

It will be fine

They’re my customer, genius. If you hire a general contractor to remodel your kitchen how much resistance would you expect from them? I’m sure you would expect them to install the cabinets exactly how you want them. Your arguments are so stupid.

bacha29

They’re my customer, genius. If you hire a general contractor to remodel your kitchen how much resistance would you expect from them? I’m sure you would expect them to install the cabinets exactly how you want them. Your arguments are so stupid.
Hire that general contractor to install new kitchen cabinets and you give him too much grief he'll simply refund your money and walk out because he would almost certainly have plenty of other customers.

In light of the fact that you also being a contractor and FDX is your ONE and ONLY customer there is no limit how demanding they can be because they know that they are your one and only customer and you only have little non CDL vehicles with limited alternative uses to which you could me your operation in it's entirety, this in turn leaves you powerless and totally beholding to FDX because face it.... you don't have anywhere else to go .

My arguments are no more stupid that your efforts to try to make us believe that your level of autonomy, discretion and freedom is on par with what a true independent has going for him.....Because you don't have anything close to it.

UnionStrong

Hire that general contractor to install new kitchen cabinets and you give him too much grief he'll simply refund your money and walk out because he would almost certainly have plenty of other customers.

In light of the fact that you also being a contractor and FDX is your ONE and ONLY customer there is no limit how demanding they can be because they know that they are your one and only customer and you only have little non CDL vehicles with limited alternative uses to which you could me your operation in it's entirety, this in turn leaves you powerless and totally beholding to FDX because face it.... you don't have anywhere else to go .

My arguments are no more stupid that your efforts to try to make us believe that your level of autonomy, discretion and freedom is on par with what a true independent has going for him.....Because you don't have anything close to it.
I believe what you’re saying is they have him by the short hairs. He knows it, he’s just to proud to admit he’s FedEx’s beeotch.