Chaos

Gone fishin

Think about this , if fedex did go to mostly ground contractors in the future, what does that bring ? Every day , every week , every month , every year , you’re fighting. You’re fighting for contractors holding the brand name to excellence,
You’re in a constant panic to trust these contractors to pay enough to keep the company running.
No one can come to work and just work. There always will be the thought of the contractors wanting to find that magic line to keep employees happy enough to stay.
Then of course there’s always the employees wanting more.
To me , this is a recipe for an eventually failing company.
Either side , employer or employee , is no way to live in constant turmoil.

It will be fine

Think about this , if fedex did go to mostly ground contractors in the future, what does that bring ? Every day , every week , every month , every year , you’re fighting. You’re fighting for contractors holding the brand name to excellence,
You’re in a constant panic to trust these contractors to pay enough to keep the company running.
No one can come to work and just work. There always will be the thought of the contractors wanting to find that magic line to keep employees happy enough to stay.
Then of course there’s always the employees wanting more.
To me , this is a recipe for an eventually failing company.
Either side , employer or employee , is no way to live in constant turmoil.
FedEx Ground has been operating profitably with increasing market share for decades. This take is hot garbage.

Gone fishin

FedEx Ground has been operating profitably with increasing market share for decades. This take is hot garbage.
Once again you’re missing the point , I’m surprised (sarcasm). It’s really about the company as a whole if it goes to ground mostly.
UPS gets raises every year , no argument , no negotiation , the raise is coming.
The drivers can then just come to work, their happy because they’re well compensated.
UPS can then JUST concentrate on quality business and not worry about fighting about wages and benefits everyday.
That’s why UPS is successful and we’re are turning into a circus.

It will be fine

Once again you’re missing the point , I’m surprised (sarcasm). It’s really about the company as a whole if it goes to ground mostly.
UPS gets raises every year , no argument , no negotiation , the raise is coming.
The drivers can then just come to work, their happy because they’re well compensated.
UPS can then JUST concentrate on quality business and not worry about fighting about wages and benefits everyday.
FedEx Ground has operated as its own company successfully for decades. The doom and gloom prediction you’re making is obviously incorrect based on actual evidence. Your hard on for UPS doesn’t change reality.

Gone fishin

FedEx Ground has operated as its own company successfully for decades. The doom and gloom prediction you’re making is obviously incorrect based on actual evidence. Your hard on for UPS doesn’t change reality.
Lol , let’s try this. Forget about fedex , let’s do football. The Seahawks have an organization that keeps their players happy , raises , benefits , treated fairly , etc. The players come to practice everyday , work hard , content and they win.
Now the Falcons , the organization is cheap , they don’t use their profits on the players , they keep the profits. They can’t attract stars or free agents. The players just go through the motions, don’t really care and lose.
The greed of the Falcons ruins their team , the Seahawks thrive because wealth is spread to keep everyone happy. Hope this helps , one team is ground , the others happy employees

bacha29

FXG has somewhere around 6000 contractors depending on how many just up and quit on a given day. Now that's 6000 very diverse individual self interests being placed at the forefront of their individual operation. How does FDX placate all of those diverse self interests? Very simple. You just ignore them. Instead you just simply slap that so called "negotiated" (lol) contract down in front of the contractor and say "Here it is Pally . Eat it and smile".

The contractor trapped in an impossible economic situation can do nothing but sign on the dotted line.

Gone fishin

FXG has somewhere around 6000 contractors depending on how many just up and quit on a given day. Now that's 6000 very diverse individual self interests being placed at the forefront of their individual operation. How does FDX placate all of those diverse self interests? Very simple. You just ignore them. Instead you just simply slap that so called "negotiated" (lol) contract down in front of the contractor and say "Here it is Pally . Eat it and smile".

The contractor trapped in an impossible economic situation can do nothing but sign on the dotted line.
One huge advantage that helps ground is they had 4-5 days for deliveries. If they get express, they have hours. Turnover will destroy any chance of success

It will be fine

Lol , let’s try this. Forget about fedex , let’s do football. The Seahawks have an organization that keeps their players happy , raises , benefits , treated fairly , etc. The players come to practice everyday , work hard , content and they win.
Now the Falcons , the organization is cheap , they don’t use their profits on the players , they keep the profits. They can’t attract stars or free agents. The players just go through the motions, don’t really care and lose.
The greed of the Falcons ruins their team , the Seahawks thrive because wealth is spread to keep everyone happy. Hope this helps , one team is ground , the others happy employees
The goal is profit. It’s possible to profit with happy workers, it’s also possible to profit with constant turnover crappy workers. You may believe happy workers are more profitable but there’s countless examples of profitable companies with unhappy workers. No rational person thinks Amazon or Walmart are on the brink of collapse because their workers are unhappy. It’s a silly argument you’re making not supported by reality.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
The goal is profit. It’s possible to profit with happy workers, it’s also possible to profit with constant turnover crappy workers. You may believe happy workers are more profitable but there’s countless examples of profitable companies with unhappy workers. No rational person thinks Amazon or Walmart are on the brink of collapse because their workers are unhappy. It’s a silly argument you’re making not supported by reality.
So, if you, and enough of your peers are unhappy, the impact on service is negligible? You’ve already stated that, push come to shove, on time service isn’t your priority. That attitude can pervade any group of people.

Silly. If you’re not an asset, you’re an impediment.

Gone fishin

Forget about ground and express , the point of the topic was about CHAOS in this company. Every day they spend 23:59 hours trying to hold their workforce together the cheapest way possible , rather than just themselves and employees concentrating on quality service.
Point A to point B efficiently , that should be the agenda.

It will be fine

Forget about ground and express , the point of the topic was about CHAOS in this company. Every day they spend 23:59 hours trying to hold their workforce together the cheapest way possible , rather than just themselves and employees concentrating on quality service.
Point A to point B efficiently , that should be the agenda.
Again, the goal is profit not service.

MAKAVELI

Again, the goal is profit not service.
The only product FedEx sells is service. The only reason Ground has survived for decades is because it was sold as a separate cheaper service by a separate OPCO. Combine the Express and Ground using the Ground model will only dilute the image that Express built. Instead of one garbage service and one quality service it will be just one garbage service and lose lucrative accounts to UPS.

FedupExpress

The only product FedEx sells is service. The only reason Ground has survived for decades is because it was sold as a separate cheaper service by a separate OPCO. Combine the Express and Ground using the Ground model will only dilute the image that Express built. Instead of one garbage service and one quality service it will be just one garbage service and lose lucrative accounts to UPS.
This is true but who really cares about service? Only the business

The important accounts will be upheld and everyone else can go kick rocks.

This is the Raj way🤣

Gone fishin

This is true but who really cares about service? Only the business

The important accounts will be upheld and everyone else can go kick rocks.

This is the Raj way🤣
This is a ridiculous statement , I had a guy needing a car part the other day. I needed an umbrella before the weekend for a family party. My wife needed shoes before an event we attended. Cmon man , think. This is why our country is going to :censored2:. If you tell me you’ll have my stuff to me by this time , have it to me. I fn care

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Imagine setting out to make the point that a cheap football team sucks, and you use a team as your example that is spending so much on players that it has virtually no cap space. And to make matters worse, you also set out to make the point that a generous team plays much better, and as your example you use a team that doesn't spend as much as the other team and only won 2 more games the prior season.

ROTFLMAO

MAKAVELI

Imagine setting out to make the point that a cheap football team sucks, and you use a team as your example that is spending so much on players that it has virtually no cap space. And to make matters worse, you also set out to make the point that a generous team plays much better, and as your example you use a team that doesn't spend as much as the other team and only won 2 more games the prior season.

ROTFLMAO
It's a good comparison as FedEx spends so much on it's executive management and garbage ideas only to remain #2.

El Morado Diablo

In reality, FedEx isn't worried about service on a small scale.

If your station has problems making service once in a while it's no big deal. My Sr Mgr actually went on-road yesterday because we were so short staffed. I give this Sr Mgr props for actually trying to do something. It's the first time I've ever seen a Sr Mgr run a route (I think it was the first time they've been on-road in 9 years). The fact that this Sr Mgr actually tried to help was an example of someone leading by example which is sorely missing from our management team. To be honest, my Sr Mgr has been in this position less than a year. Even so, it was refreshing to see someone willing to step up. Wouldn't it be nice to see all levels of management step-up to make this place a better place to work?