Federal Express - The Way it Was...

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Funny you say that because I provided an example that it does. You catch people screwing off while on the company dime and you save money. Not a difficult concept.
The problem here is that Memphis thinks everyone is screwing around on company time and everyone is guilty until proven innocent. They have a word for that and it's called harassment.

How would you like to justify every moment that you're on the clock?

hypo hanna

Unexplainable gaps mean wasted time and money.

We had an ISP that installed GPS monitoring hardware on his fleet. His employees, now realizing they are being monitored in real time, vastly increased their productivity and now haggle over work and OT. He is now very happy that his payroll is no longer out of control.

If scrutiny on the part of a small business owner can save him hundreds or even thousands, the same scrutiny applied on a much grander scale would save millions.
Micromanagement has been shown over and over to have no long term benefits to a companies bottom line. It's based on the premise that all employees are as you say "stealing time" from the company. While that may be true in some individuals, the micromanager would rather cast his net over the lot rather then address the one screwing off. (Lazy).This is done daily with a barrage of reports and constantly changing goals to the point that neither knows what the actual goals are. Morale suffers and employee turnover is high. This is all well and good if you don't mind an unmotivated, bitter and apathetic workforce interacting with your customers. FedEx seems ok with that.

CJinx

How would you like to justify every moment that you're on the clock?
I already do. I have at least four different managers that will wander into my office and ask me what I'm working on or inquire about the status of whatever project I've been assigned. Is it annoying? It can seem that way, but their job is to manage. Whenever they don't like my answers, I don't get indignant about it; instead I ask for their suggestions on the work should be done.

I have, however, built a rep for getting things done within the timetable or early... so these conversations are less "Why wasn't this done on time?" and more "since you have the free time, can you work on this?". lol

It will be fine

I already do. I have at least four different managers that will wander into my office and ask me what I'm working on or inquire about the status of whatever project I've been assigned. Is it annoying? It can seem that way, but their job is to manage. Whenever they don't like my answers, I don't get indignant about it; instead I ask for their suggestions on the work should be done.

I have, however, built a rep for getting things done within the timetable or early... so these conversations are less "Why wasn't this done on time?" and more "since you have the free time, can you work on this?". lol
You better be on your lunch break now. Wasting company time surfing the net. For shame.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
This is just so FedEx - the more ya do, the more they expect. If you came up with a way to deliver to the Moon today, they'd expect you to come up with a way to deliver to Mars tomorrow....for the same compensation package you delivered to Des Moines yesterday, of course.

The saying "no good deed ever goes unpunished" was coined by Fred S

Cactus

I wouldn't be laughing about it. Those managers sound like they have little too much free time on their hands. I'd tell them if you want this, this and that done, leave me the hell alone. Pestering me won't get the task done any quicker. Slower, most definitely.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Part of Taylorism is fair pay for a good days work. That's were UPS kicks our tail. FedEx wants UPS productivity while taking away. That can't last forever.

Bingo. It works at UPS because the employees are paid well enough to make it worth their while, and probably even make it a career. For $34 per hour and great benefits, people will put-up with a lot. Half that figure (Express), and employees aren't willing to put forth a great deal of effort. Fred wants to have his cake and eat it too. Ain't going to happen in terms of enhanced productivity.

Our Ground Princess is truly clueless.

Goldilocks

Unexplainable gaps mean wasted time and money.

We had an ISP that installed GPS monitoring hardware on his fleet. His employees, now realizing they are being monitored in real time, vastly increased their productivity and now haggle over work and OT. He is now very happy that his payroll is no longer out of control.

If scrutiny on the part of a small business owner can save him hundreds or even thousands, the same scrutiny applied on a much grander scale would save millions.

No offense, you sound very young and naive. Promise, You will change...

Goldilocks

Micromanagement has been shown over and over to have no long term benefits to a companies bottom line. It's based on the premise that all employees are as you say "stealing time" from the company. While that may be true in some individuals, the micromanager would rather cast his net over the lot rather then address the one screwing off. (Lazy).This is done daily with a barrage of reports and constantly changing goals to the point that neither knows what the actual goals are. Morale suffers and employee turnover is high. This is all well and good if you don't mind an unmotivated, bitter and apathetic workforce interacting with your customers. FedEx seems ok with that.

Funny, they push the Couriers to the max, and when we launch, they sit around on their computers, working and online shopping. Our CSA's do the same thing.

BigTex61

No offense, you sound very young and naive. Promise, You will change...
You nailed it Goldie, we have a nutless wonder at our station that's an admin to the senior. He's young, yappy, spends most of day on facebook, talks a big game, uses all the manager witless one liners, ain't delivered one freaking package his whole career. One day behind the wheel he would be toast. No clue what goes on in the real world, yet he's always got his yap open!

Cactus

You nailed it Goldie, we have a nutless wonder at our station that's an admin to the senior. He's young, yappy, spends most of day on facebook, talks a big game, uses all the manager witless one liners, ain't delivered one freaking package his whole career. One day behind the wheel he would be toast. No clue what goes on in the real world, yet he's always got his yap open!
He needs to spend a mandatory 6 months out the real world. Right now he's working at Fantasyland.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Micromanagement has been shown over and over to have no long term benefits to a companies bottom line. It's based on the premise that all employees are as you say "stealing time" from the company. While that may be true in some individuals, the micromanager would rather cast his net over the lot rather then address the one screwing off.

But when you single out the guilty ones, they complain to their coworkers that they're being unfairly targeted for harassment. Then the coworkers get all bent out of shape and encourage the guilty ones to go to HR, which they will do. HR will (more often than not) advise the mgr that his actions could be perceived as arbitrarily targeting an employee.

Oh yeah, the guilty ones may play the EOC card. In that case, they are essentially untouchable by that manager (and his senior) forever.

But anyway, the manager has been admonished by HR that taking direct action with the guilty parties is not acceptable.

(Lazy).This is done daily with a barrage of reports and constantly changing goals to the point that neither knows what the actual goals are. Morale suffers and employee turnover is high. This is all well and good if you don't mind an unmotivated, bitter and apathetic workforce interacting with your customers. FedEx seems ok with that.

The manager can print out umpteen reports that document a guilty employee's wasting of time and the employee will still deny it. He will complain to his coworkers that the mgr is printing up "a bunch of BS" (and that's an actual quote I've heard), usually followed by "he can't do my job" and a few other non-sequiturs.

Of course, the best way to handle employees who are soaking it up on the clock is to wait until they are off. When a swing runs the route and blows the numbers out of the water, give a copy of the swing's gap report to the guilty party and ask him to explain it.

MAKAVELI

But when you single out the guilty ones, they complain to their coworkers that they're being unfairly targeted for harassment. Then the coworkers get all bent out of shape and encourage the guilty ones to go to HR, which they will do. HR will (more often than not) advise the mgr that his actions could be perceived as arbitrarily targeting an employee.

Oh yeah, the guilty ones may play the EOC card. In that case, they are essentially untouchable by that manager (and his senior) forever.

But anyway, the manager has been admonished by HR that taking direct action with the guilty parties is not acceptable.

The manager can print out umpteen reports that document a guilty employee's wasting of time and the employee will still deny it. He will complain to his coworkers that the mgr is printing up "a bunch of BS" (and that's an actual quote I've heard), usually followed by "he can't do my job" and a few other non-sequiturs.

Of course, the best way to handle employees who are soaking it up on the clock is to wait until they are off. When a swing runs the route and blows the numbers out of the water, give a copy of the swing's gap report to the guilty party and ask him to explain it.
Sounds like FedEx doesn't know how to run a business. Maybe UPS can teach them.;)

hypo hanna

Funny, you don't like to hear excuses from drivers but you have no problem prattling on as to why managers can't manage.

vantexan

I've known swings who were sent out by mgrs to "blow the numbers out of the water" targeting certain couriers. In one station we had a couple of very arrogant swings who lived for this. Very amusing to me because I ran a very large rural route with a spiderweb of roads through heavy woods. They would get very upset because they couldn't match my numbers. No shock there, I knew the roads very well, and more importantly where all the shortcuts were. One of them, in his mid-twenties, actually started verbally harassing me because he couldn't stand that someone twice his age was outperforming him. I literally walked away from the cans one day rather than put up with it, told my mgr he could fire me, wasn't working with him again. I know how much you love my long posts, couldn't resist writing all this. Bottom line, inspite of your snideness about older couriers, most older couriers have a better work ethic than most of the young coming through these days. We're still from the time when we gave a damn about the company, not much reason for the young to care anymore.