Federal funds to restore Teamsters' pensions, five years after cuts

ManInBrown

Are there any retirees on brown cafe who had their pension cut? Luckily where I am our pension is in great shape at the present time, but clearly it’s no guarantee. That’s why I sock away so much 401k money. I couldnt imagine being retired, getting a check every month and then one day them saying, we have some bad news you’re pension check will now be half of what it was. I would go postal. I remember seeing a video in the parking lot of a hub where a union representative broke the news to a large crowd of hourlies.

Last edited:

Foamer Pyle

But you begrudge other teamsters from getting theirs. Typical.
The Teamsters screw up a pension, and then defer tax payers to bail them out. While I don’t want anyone’s pension to go belly up, I do not agree with tax payer, having to bailout something they did not contribute to, nor will get any payments from.

rod

Retired 22 years
The Teamsters screw up a pension, and then defer tax payers to bail them out. While I don’t want anyone’s pension to go belly up, I do not agree with tax payer, having to bailout something they did not contribute to, nor will get any payments from.
The Teamsters didn't screw up my pension. My pension (Centra States) has been under the control of the US Government for MANY years. It went broke under their watchful eyes so the Gvernment should bail it out.

ManInBrown

Why should I pay someone’s student loan with my tax dollars? Their loan is their problem.

Road Dog 56

Are there any retirees on brown cafe who had their pension cut? Luckily where I am our pension is in great shape at the present time, but clearly it’s no guarantee. That’s why I sock away so much 401k money. I couldnt imagine being retired, getting a check every month and then one day them saying, we have some bad news you’re pension check will now be half of what it was. I would go postal. I remember seeing a video in the parking lot of a hub where a union representative broke the news to a large crowd of hourlies.
Sounds like Western Conference like where we are.

Learned at an early age never to put all your eggs in one basket. Pension , 401k, Social Security, Cash savings, Real Estate, precious Metals and other options have us pretty well covered.

It would take a meteor to wipe us out.

pkgdriver

The Teamsters didn't screw up my pension. My pension (Centra States) has been under the control of the US Government for MANY years. It went broke under their watchful eyes so the Gvernment should bail it out.
I believe in 82 when this happened the fund was about 40% funded. Ive been wrong before. Thats why when It was available I maxed out my 401k. First pension check looks like it will be deposited on Dec 1.

Trucking deregulation was probably the biggest hit to Central States. Western Conference was not as dependent on trucking.

retired2000

Yes I had my pension cut 29% thanks to the gvt we will be getting it back starting January 1,2023

ManInBrown

Yes I had my pension cut 29% thanks to the gvt we will be getting it back starting January 1,2023
Wow how much a relief is that, and how exactly did you find out it was being cut? A letter in the mail? Sorry we know that you were promised this amount, but now you’re getting this. Go pound sand. How do people not go postal? Like I said I remember seeing a video somewhere where someone from the hall held a meeting in a hub parking lot breaking the news their pension was being cut something like 50%. I don’t know how he made it out of there alive. Especially the unprepared who put zero in the 401k thinking I got a pension, I’ll be fine. That will have someone working as a Walmart greeter till they’re 75.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Wow how much a relief is that, and how exactly did you find out it was being cut? A letter in the mail? Sorry we know that you were promised this amount, but now you’re getting this. Go pound sand. How do people not go postal? Like I said I remember seeing a video somewhere where someone from the hall held a meeting in a hub parking lot breaking the news their pension was being cut something like 50%. I don’t know how he made it out of there alive. Especially the unprepared who put zero in the 401k thinking I got a pension, I’ll be fine. That will have someone working as a Walmart greeter till they’re 75.
I went to a meeting down at the hall about 12 years ago where we got the word that they were making some pension cuts and jacking up retiree healthcare premiums by like 200%. No one from the board had the balls to tell us, they brought in some actuary and stuck him up on stage to give us the news. Some angry dudes at that meeting, took a lot of fresh donuts to calm'em down.

Trucker Clock

Central States just got their money.

rod

Retired 22 years

:bigsmile2::bigsmile2::bigsmile2::bigsmile2::bigsmile2::bigsmile2::bigsmile2::bigsmile2::bigsmile2::bigsmile2::bigsmile2::bigsmile2::bigsmile2::bigsmile2::bigsmile2::bigsmile2::bigsmile2::bigsmile2::bigsmile2::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::goteam::goteam::goteam::goteam::goteam::goteam::goteam::goteam::goteam::goteam::goteam::goteam::goteam::runcirclsmiley2::runcirclsmiley2::runcirclsmiley2::runcirclsmiley2::runcirclsmiley2::runcirclsmiley2::runcirclsmiley2::runcirclsmiley2::runcirclsmiley2::runcirclsmiley2::runcirclsmiley2::runcirclsmiley2::runcirclsmiley2::runcirclsmiley2::runcirclsmiley2::runcirclsmiley2::runcirclsmiley2::runcirclsmiley2::punk::punk::punk::punk::punk::punk::punk::punk::punk::punk::punk::punk::punk::punk::punk::punk::punk::punk::punk::punk::punk::punk::punk::punk::punk::upssmiley::upssmiley::upssmiley::upssmiley::upssmiley::upssmiley::upssmiley:

PT Car Washer

My DRIVE contributions paid off for the old timers.

Its_a_me

But you begrudge other teamsters from getting theirs. Typical.
Yes. Because the money to maintain the retirees standard of living is being stolen from the next generation and the one after that to pay the bill that will eventually come due.

It would be one thing if Boomers left the standard of living of the next generation better off than what they were left---but they didn't. So now they want to enjoy that better standard of living long into retirement age and have the next generations pay for it.

That is the typical Boomer all about me self aggrandizing generation that needs to be shown the political door and forced to face reality. This was a political payback from the democrats because they were elected with major help by the unions. But the politicians don't fear the demographically challenged current workers: they fear the retired demographically helped (hence the nickname Boomers) ones that vote. Which is how we saw the democrats sell the current union railroad workers out. And the current Teamsters of UPS are the next ones that will be sold out come August.

So, yeah everyone under the age of 45...they should be furious. And that anger needs to be directed at the politicians that just piled another foot of rocks above their heads so Boomers can live the good life for a few more years.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Yes. Because the money to maintain the retirees standard of living is being stolen from the next generation and the one after that to pay the bill that will eventually come due.

It would be one thing if Boomers left the standard of living of the next generation better off than what they were left---but they didn't. So now they want to enjoy that better standard of living long into retirement age and have the next generations pay for it.

That is the typical Boomer all about me self aggrandizing generation that needs to be shown the political door and forced to face reality. This was a political payback from the democrats because they were elected with major help by the unions. But the politicians don't fear the demographically challenged current workers: they fear the retired demographically helped (hence the nickname Boomers) ones that vote. Which is how we saw the democrats sell the current union railroad workers out. And the current Teamsters of UPS are the next ones that will be sold out come August.

So, yeah everyone under the age of 45...they should be furious. And that anger needs to be directed at the politicians that just piled another foot of rocks above their heads so Boomers can live the good life for a few more years.
1934532F-5A71-424F-8E84-638F05C792D9.gif

Cry me a river. Now get back to work so you can continue to fund my pension. 🤣