FedEx disqualified me as a driver and helper

Strickland1986

So I found out last Tuesday my DOT physical was expired, my boss sent me out on my route Tuesday and Wednesday running under his I'd badge since I could not download my manifest onto my scanner, Thursday I got my physical taken care of and now its to late, corporate security and contractor relations got involved. Had aeeting with these guys on last Saturday and my boss told me to say he was on the truck with me Tuesday and Wednesday, but security has video feed of me driving away from the terminal by myself. Now the investigation is open and first I was disqualified as a driver but I could still be a helper, I worked Tuesday but not Wednesday or today because apparently I'm disqualified as a helper as well even though the investigation is still open.. I told contractor relations the truth and my boss made me lie and refused to send me to take my physical when I found out it was expired. Not sure what I can do about this situation but I'm getting burned for doing what my boss told me to do and now I have no job

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
So I found out last Tuesday my DOT physical was expired, my boss sent me out on my route Tuesday and Wednesday running under his I'd badge since I could not download my manifest onto my scanner, Thursday I got my physical taken care of and now its to late, corporate security and contractor relations got involved. Had aeeting with these guys on last Saturday and my boss told me to say he was on the truck with me Tuesday and Wednesday, but security has video feed of me driving away from the terminal by myself. Now the investigation is open and first I was disqualified as a driver but I could still be a helper, I worked Tuesday but not Wednesday or today because apparently I'm disqualified as a helper as well even though the investigation is still open.. I told contractor relations the truth and my boss made me lie and refused to send me to take my physical when I found out it was expired. Not sure what I can do about this situation but I'm getting burned for doing what my boss told me to do and now I have no job

Oops.

Wrong forum, BTW.

You did a huge No No!

barnyard

KTM rider
May as well go out on a scorched earth policy. When you are interviewed, explain in detail how your boss told you to use his ID badge and to lie when interviewed. You will be out a job and your boss will more than likely loose his contract.

Ultimately, the onus for driving legally ALWAYS falls on the driver. Had you gone through a DOT inspection, YOU would have been fined for driving with an expired DOT card. Your contractor would have probably also been fined.

And before you say, "package cars never get DOT inspected...." They do. We had a guy in our center get pulled into an inspection point. He did not know where the break down triangles were, so the DOT pulled the package car out of service until a supe came and showed the inspector the triangles. Cost the driver over an hour of down time.

Since then, at least 2 other package cars have been inspected and I have seen the DOT inspector sitting in a driveway next to our barn watching us leave in the morning several times since then.

It will be fine

Yes to what barnyard said. You are out of luck at FedEx ground now. You should try to bring down the contractor with you. He shouldn't be operating a trucking company like that. File for unemployment at the very least. I'd talk to an attorney, you may be able to sue him for damages related to your job loss, especially if this behavior prohibits your ability to find work going forward.

1fedexFAILURE

It is never ok to lie.. When you operated the vehicle under someone else's badge you messed up..never ever is it right to do something wrong because your boss said to do it..

FedGT

I'm sure the contractor is already being torched. If they have him on camera going out and no contractor he is probably fighting to keep his contracts right now. Some one in my terminal pulled that crap and they were gone. That has to be one of the dumbest moves anyone can make, don't take an hour to go do an inspection instead lets gamble on your 5,6, or 7 figure contracts. Not too much intelligence with that contractor.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It is never ok to lie.. When you operated the vehicle under someone else's badge you messed up..never ever is it right to do something wrong because your boss said to do it..

Take him down, and when they try and deny you unemployment, explain the circumstances.

Remember, you're not an employee, even though you are.

STFXG

"Uh, I knowingly participated in a fraud, and I got fired. Can I please get some free money?"
He worked as directed and was then let go by his employer. His standing of disqualified from representing fedex has no bearing on his ability to work for his employer. If he doesn't have any other work for the OP and he let him go then he should be able to get unemployment. The contractor committed fraud, not the employee. The employee doesn't have to follow fedex rules he has to follow his employers rules.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He worked as directed and was then let go by his employer. His standing of disqualified from representing fedex has no bearing on his ability to work for his employer. If he doesn't have any other work for the OP and he let him go then he should be able to get unemployment. The contractor committed fraud, not the employee. The employee doesn't have to follow fedex rules he has to follow his employers rules.

The contractor forced the employee to wear his badge and go on his route?

1fedexFAILURE

I'm sure the contractor is already being torched. If they have him on camera going out and no contractor he is probably fighting to keep his contracts right now. Some one in my terminal pulled that crap and they were gone. That has to be one of the dumbest moves anyone can make, don't take an hour to go do an inspection instead lets gamble on your 5,6, or 7 figure contracts. Not too much intelligence with that contractor.
I would have to agree with you Wally about the intelligence..but then again I would say most all contractors and drivers of ground I find to be lacking intelligence for standing to be taken advantage of the way they are.
WAD. The driver is under no obligation to follow FedEx rules. He only has to follow his employer's rules. We are independent, remember? ;)
you are not independent..if you were then there would not be lawsuits saying you are having to follow the "rules"!.. Face it, you are nothing more than scabs

bbsam

Staff member
I would have to agree with you Wally about the intelligence..but then again I would say most all contractors and drivers of ground I find to be lacking intelligence for standing to be taken advantage of the way they are.

you are not independent..if you were then there would not be lawsuits saying you are having to follow the "rules"!.. Face it, you are nothing more than scabs
I bet I'm more independent than you are.

STFXG

If he shows up that day with it expired he gets sidelined. Either he gets it that day or he's a runner until he gets it squared away. Pretty easy scenario.