Fedex Driver DUI seriously injures CHP officer in California

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
trucker driver driving doubles slammed into CHP vehicle seriously injuring officer . narcotics was found in his cab and preliminary tests show he was DUI.

he is being held. on one million dollar bail. sorry if this is posted anywhere else . i did a search. could not provide link. maybe someone can.

hope the CHP officer pulls through. 19 year vet .

dezguy

This is what FedEx wants. They want to pay bottom of the barrel wages, this is the type of employee they get.

Yet they'll preach to us about protecting the image of the brand. Laughable.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
This is what FedEx wants. They want to pay bottom of the barrel wages, this is the type of employee they get.

Yet they'll preach to us about protecting the image of the brand. Laughable.
Exactly.

It's all smoke and mirrors and the image they try to protect is nothing but a joke run by the biggest bloodsuckers in the business.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
we had a guy come to work one night high on something and fortunately the dispatcher noticed it and took him out of service and drug tested. he was dirty and terminated that day.

when i started trucking in the early 80's it was the rare individual that wasn't popping beans. it was acceptable and actually encouraged by the bosses.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
At one time stuff like this was shocking, but now it's half expected that FedEx Ground will maim or kill someone on a regular basis.

Exactly. Par for the course. When you pay crap wages, you get crap drivers, especially in today's ultra-competitive OTR segment. I hope the CHP officer makes it and that there is a huge lawsuit against FedEx.

I just watched the KCRA report. On a controlled substance, and hit a CHP SUV and the officer. Lights were activated and the officer was investigating another collision.

Another Ground POS driver.

Last edited:

overflowed

I'm surprised they haven't cried out "NOT US -- CONTRACTOR WARRGHBL"
"FedEx Ground is committed to safety as our top priority and we hold anyone providing service on our behalf contractually responsible for operating safely and complying with the law. We are fully cooperating with investigating authorities and will take the appropriate action to address this matter," FedEx spokesperson Davis Westrick said in a statement.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
"FedEx Ground is committed to safety as our top priority and we hold anyone providing service on our behalf contractually responsible for operating safely and complying with the law. We are fully cooperating with investigating authorities and will take the appropriate action to address this matter," FedEx spokesperson Davis Westrick said in a statement.

In other words, they are blaming the contractor. Davis Westrick undoubtedly had a prepared statement provided to him by FedEx Legal.

The corporation absolutely knows Ground is unsafe, but they hide behind the business model and do NOTHING to improve safety. Meanwhile, Ground continues to maim and kill people on a regular basis.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
In other words, they are blaming the contractor. Davis Westrick undoubtedly had a prepared statement provided to him by FedEx Legal.

The corporation absolutely knows Ground is unsafe, but they hide behind the business model and do NOTHING to improve safety. Meanwhile, Ground continues to maim and kill people on a regular basis.
Wish the DOT would just shut them down.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Wish the DOT would just shut them down.

They need to be shut down. Hey, Sammy or one of you other independent businesspeople. Why don't you get on here and tell us how safe the Ground operation is, especially OTR.

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
They need to be shut down. Hey, Sammy or one of you other independent businesspeople. Why don't you get on here and tell us how safe the Ground operation is, especially OTR.

Crickets. They can't answer because they know that Ground is absolutely unsafe, and that the OTR segment is even worse than the local drivers.

bbsam

Staff member
Crickets. They can't answer because they know that Ground is absolutely unsafe, and that the OTR segment is even worse than the local drivers.
If you wanted me to answer, you could have tagged me.

My answer is a shrug of the shoulders and to say, it is what it is. They get what they pay for and apparently the federal, state, and local governments have deemed it "good enough" for now. You are, of course, free to read into any story whatever you want. If these stories convince you thato all forms of contractor model will one day go by rhetoric wayside, then ok. I find that difficult to believe based on this.

bacha29

Fedex crashes always seem to draw the media's attention to a much greater extent than other trucking companies. I think the reason is that much of the media still believes that X is a federally commissioned operation and all X branded vehicles are company owned and operated. In the future the greatest threat to Ground is finding an insurance carrier willing to write a contract and a what price?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If you wanted me to answer, you could have tagged me.

My answer is a shrug of the shoulders and to say, it is what it is. They get what they pay for and apparently the federal, state, and local governments have deemed it "good enough" for now. You are, of course, free to read into any story whatever you want. If these stories convince you thato all forms of contractor model will one day go by rhetoric wayside, then ok. I find that difficult to believe based on this.

One has to think ground is rapidly approaching the point of "not good enough". Think the CHP might have a Jones for Ground drivers even more than previously?