FedEx eliminates Smartpost to the PO. UPS must eliminate Surepost to PO.

browned out

UPS labor mgmt. has been well aware of this since June 2019. Now we are dealing with UPS's apparent refusal to adhere to the CBA. FedEx is slated to eliminate their Smartpost service thru the USPS on 01-01-2020. Therefore; UPS is contractually required to eliminate Surepost deliveries to the USPS.

FedEx 7-Day Delivery: Inside the Decision | iDrive Logistics
FedEx to deliver 7 days a week to satisfy online shoppers

UPS Labor Mgmt is stating Smartpost is not the equivalent to Surepost. That is a not-forthright and dishonest statement from UPS mgmt.

Our Local 243 has responded to stewards' inquires. Local 243's response was less than tepid. In a very disparaging response; 243 responded 'if that were to take place; UPS would have to hire too many more drivers'

That is a garbage response. It is the Teamsters obligation to add jobs to the bargaining unit.

It is UPS's contractual obligation to eliminate Surepost when FedEx eliminates Smartpost.

YaY….Less parcels to the USPS=more parcels for RPCDs and 22.4s.

This is not a new development. If FedEx eliminates Smartpost on Jan. 02, 2020; then UPS should be eliminating Surepost by Jan. 09, 2020 at the latest.

The end result will be more stops per car and more stops per hour. AND MORE RPCD and/or 22.4 full time positions.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
UPS labor mgmt. has been well aware of this since June 2019. Now we are dealing with UPS's apparent refusal to adhere to the CBA. FedEx is slated to eliminate their Smartpost service thru the USPS on 01-01-2020. Therefore; UPS is contractually required to eliminate Surepost deliveries to the USPS.

FedEx 7-Day Delivery: Inside the Decision | iDrive Logistics
FedEx to deliver 7 days a week to satisfy online shoppers

UPS Labor Mgmt is stating Smartpost is not the equivalent to Surepost. That is a not-forthright and dishonest statement from UPS mgmt.

Our Local 243 has responded to stewards' inquires. Local 243's response was less than tepid. In a very disparaging response; 243 responded 'if that were to take place; UPS would have to hire too many more drivers'

That is a garbage response. It is the Teamsters obligation to add jobs to the bargaining unit.

It is UPS's contractual obligation to eliminate Surepost when FedEx eliminates Smartpost.

YaY….Less parcels to the USPS=more parcels for RPCDs and 22.4s.

This is not a new development. If FedEx eliminates Smartpost on Jan. 02, 2020; then UPS should be eliminating Surepost by Jan. 09, 2020 at the latest.

The end result will be more stops per car and more stops per hour. AND MORE RPCD and/or 22.4 full time positions.

I read that language not too long ago. The question is, if smartpost is not equivalent to surepost, what service being provided by a competitor is? If there is no such other service out there, then UPS has been in violation for a long time.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Wow I’ve never even thought about this. If the union were to hold ups to this (they won’t) they’d give them years to slowly opt out.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
I read that language not too long ago. The question is, if smartpost is not equivalent to surepost, what service being provided by a competitor is? If there is no such other service out there, then UPS has been in violation for a long time.
They break the contract every day.

browned out

SurePost and SmartPost are equivalent. No doubt about it. The union needs to actually represent the members and enforce the CBA. This company controlled union has to change.

This is verbatim from UPSers.com.

Not twins, exactly, maybe more like close cousins. Both companies had to adapt to one another, with UPS stepping up its air game in the ‘80s and FedEx its ground game in the ‘90s.

Both partner with USPS to save on final mile deliveries – UPS SurePost and FedEx SmartPost. (You can learn more about the effect of this on USPS here: What’s up with the Post Office?)

And in another UPSer.com article:

While there are several factors, let’s start with a biggie – final mile delivery.

Companies like UPS, FedEx and others put hundreds of millions of packages into the USPS system for the last leg of the journey (this is UPS SurePost® service).

It helps UPS for sure, particularly in delivering to remote areas that typically cost more to reach, but it does add to the revenue of the USPS. (To the person raising their hand in the corner – that does not throw off its growth number compared to UPS because the same volume still factors into UPS’s revenue. Good question, though!).

The USPS pays UPS and FedEx to move packages too, but to fill a gap in its network – moving packages over a long distance.

Final mile delivery works well for the Postal Service because it doesn’t have to worry about end-to-end service, and can focus on just that very last part, reducing the chances of damages and service failures. Think about if you only had to run the final mile of a marathon … you could probably do two marathons in the same day!

If UPS and the Teamster do not follow the CBA; I believe this is the action that should be taken. Please feel free to add or correct the following.

1. Address this issue with your mgmt. team with your steward present. Memorialize and document the conversation.
2. File a grievance if SurePost is not discontinued to the extend FedEx discontinues it. (most likely 100%)
3. File a complaint with the Teamsters re: the Teamster Constitution.
4. File an NLRB complaint.
5. File a Breach of Contract against UPS.

I am certain it will not need to come to any of the above.

UPS will most certainly be forthright, honest and adhere to the CBA. And...The Teamsters will hold UPS to the CBA. RIGHT?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
SurePost and SmartPost are equivalent. No doubt about it. The union needs to actually represent the members and enforce the CBA. This company controlled union has to change.

Not twins, exactly, maybe more like close cousins. Both companies had to adapt to one another, with UPS stepping up its air game in the ‘80s and FedEx its ground game in the ‘90s.

Both partner with USPS to save on final mile deliveries – UPS SurePost and FedEx SmartPost. (You can learn more about the effect of this on USPS here: What’s up with the Post Office?)

While there are several factors, let’s start with a biggie – final mile delivery.

Companies like UPS, FedEx and others put hundreds of millions of packages into the USPS system for the last leg of the journey (this is UPS SurePost® service).

It helps UPS for sure, particularly in delivering to remote areas that typically cost more to reach, but it does add to the revenue of the USPS. (To the person raising their hand in the corner – that does not throw off its growth number compared to UPS because the same volume still factors into UPS’s revenue. Good question, though!).

The USPS pays UPS and FedEx to move packages too, but to fill a gap in its network – moving packages over a long distance.

Final mile delivery works well for the Postal Service because it doesn’t have to worry about end-to-end service, and can focus on just that very last part, reducing the chances of damages and service failures. Think about if you only had to run the final mile of a marathon … you could probably do two marathons in the same day!

If UPS and the Teamster do not follow the CBA; I believe this is the action that should be taken. Please feel free to add or correct the following.

1. Address this issue with your mgmt. team with your steward present. Memorialize and document the conversation.
2. File a grievance if SurePost is not discontinued to the extend FedEx discontinues it. (most likely 100%)

UPS will most certainly be forthright, honest and adhere to the CBA. And...The Teamsters will hold UPS to the CBA. RIGHT?

I will definitely be in contact with my local regarding this issue. I'm sure it will have to be dealt with at the national level, but we should at least be able to grieve non-bargaining unit employees doing our work.

Poop Head

Judge me.

1) In order to retain existing commercial customers that are solic-
ited by a competitor offering services similar to those described
herein, or to attract new commercial customers, the Company may
offer service contracts that include the delivery of packages by the
USPS.

Is that the loophole?

I have been very interested in this since FedEx announced they would be reabsorbing their smartpost

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
1) In order to retain existing commercial customers that are solic-
ited by a competitor offering services similar to those described
herein, or to attract new commercial customers, the Company may
offer service contracts that include the delivery of packages by the
USPS.

Is that the loophole?

I have been very interested in this since FedEx announced they would be reabsorbing their smartpost

You could argue that UPS could only offer Surepost to new contracts, then. It's pretty clear that the line means to attract new accounts away from competitors using surepost equivalent programs.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
But the ramifications of this violation would pretty big, and not nearly as big as the company being forced into compliance.
I didnt say otherwise.
Look at what's going on now and has been happening since the first year proximity stops were redirected back to ups drivers for delivery.
After we got social egg on our face for not getting everyone's Christmas purchase delivered on time the proximity stops (for the largest part) were diminished to being a rare occasion and now the ibt negotiators allowed language that sends all of the volume to the post office if a location rolls a trailer that day even if its a 10%er. So the union is on board to give our bargaining unit members the work???

Let's not forget the escape clause in Art 26.
Screenshot_20191121-054937_UPSRising.jpg

I'm not holding my breath about getting surepost totally redirected seeing how the language keeps getting less supportive to even get what is supposed to be our work moved to ups drivers for final mile delivery until we get new leadership at the top.

"Economically feasible"? Heck, they send stops to the post office that we are actually delivering that day anyway breaking the contract EVERY DAY...and with a blessing from the people who are supposed to want to add members to the union ranks.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
P.S.
The language says the company shall not use surepost to reduce the bargaining unit ranks.

They use this language everytime this comes up and it is smoke because they are using subcontracting when they scalp off our work to the post office by not redirecting the businesses, duplicate, and proximity stops back to our drivers for final mile delivery.

What hides their lie is that the company is adding drivers due to other volume expansions (online sales and Amazon increases due to FDX ceasing to deliver Amazon's volume, etc) therefore without a daily audit of each building's surepost dispersion we will never know to what extent they are breaking the contract.

Who is going to push this issue and fight for it?

Good luck.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
FedEx is NOT eliminating SmartPost-----they are simply keeping that volume and delivering it themselves. Huge difference!
Are you dense?
The issue is that they aren't taking it to the PO anymore.

Also, is ups subcontracting due to elimination of the competition no longer taking the mirrored volume to the post office? (See and read the above thread title.)

TTKU

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
The only way UPS would have to eliminate SurePost would be if FedEx completely eliminated it as a service offering, which ain't gonna happen.
:bsbullf:

Eliminate what einstein?
The delivery of surepost to the post office is the issue. (Hint...Post is in both service names...Sure and Smart....post.)
Get some Geritol.
SMH