FedEx Express Driver Pay?

SmithBarney

Curious what FedEx Express drivers(couriers) get paid?
I know it might vary around the country, but still curious.
Also how are raises, yearly, performance based, etc?

Thanks

F

FedExer

Curious what FedEx Express drivers(couriers) get paid?
I know it might vary around the country, but still curious.
Also how are raises, yearly, performance based, etc?

Thanks

Starts between 13.50 and 17.00. Up to 20.85 to 26 something depending on location. Raises are yearly depending on you performance review which is also yearly. Between 4 and 7%. Seniority starts the day your hired regardless of status (FT or PT) You also get paid for unused sick pay which is nice.

Overpaid Union Thug

They also have to wait a while to go full-time just like we do. The station (which is the same thing as a UPS center) where I live has an average wait time of 5 years from part-time to full-time. One of the things I like about FedEx is that their seniority is company wide. Not just by center/hub like ours. I was offered a courier job last year but I would have been taking a huge pay cut and I'm not too far from going full-time at UPS so I declined. I was going to start at $13.50/hr. It was tempting. Less work. More time to actually comunicate with customers. Overall it's less money so that was the main factor in why I didn't take it.

SmithBarney

Well if hired, I'll be off the street and into the driver seat with express.
One of my reasons for leaving UPS was excessive overtime(other factors as well contributed)
, its one thing to work nice OT every so often, but pushing 60+ hrs a week and
getting back in the center at 10-10:30PM regularly isn't really worth it in my book.
Like I tell my friends it doesn't matter if your making 75k a year if I don't
get to see my kids (or spend the $$) its not worth it to me. I have values.
UPS will eventually have to deal with it, but until then, I can make 40k
and still live like a king.. (with a family)

W

westsideworma

Well if hired, I'll be off the street and into the driver seat with express.
One of my reasons for leaving UPS was excessive overtime(other factors as well contributed)
, its one thing to work nice OT every so often, but pushing 60+ hrs a week and
getting back in the center at 10-10:30PM regularly isn't really worth it in my book.
Like I tell my friends it doesn't matter if your making 75k a year if I don't
get to see my kids (or spend the $$) its not worth it to me. I have values.
UPS will eventually have to deal with it, but until then, I can make 40k
and still live like a king.. (with a family)

I have a feeling that UPS will eventually start losing more and more drivers this way to be honest (not necessarily to FedEx). Good for you Fredly. From what I hear FedEx Express is a good operation (my friend at work has a buddy that works there). He's home after 8hrs (or less) everyday for the most part with 9 hr days now and then (and even as requested sometimes from what he said). I'm not sure about their version of PEAK, but it can't much more of a production than ours. :wink:

FedEx Express drivers may be paid less (though not overly so depending on your area) but I think they value having their time more. Its a normal 9-5 job for most (or whatever 8 hrs that they work). Whereas here at UPS you get paid very well, but you never know what time you'll be home day to day.

fedexgurl

Some drivers get hired off the street as Full-Time...depends on what you apply for and the company needs. There really isnt like a wait period for you to go fulltime....i was hired on as fulltime.

FEDEX FAN

monte carlo 11 and 12
I was also hired full time. Although I start at 6:30 and am off by 1530, almost always have the option of covering a pick up route or signing up to work Sat for the overtime.

Overpaid Union Thug

I was also hired full time. Although I start at 6:30 and am off by 1530, almost always have the option of covering a pick up route or signing up to work Sat for the overtime.

It depends on the station in question. The one in our area prefers to hire from within, meaning off the seniority list, for full-time jobs. When I was offered a job there I told the guy I'd put in my two weeks notice at UPS if you offered me a full-time job and he said they always hire full-time drivers from the part-time list.

SmithBarney

FedEx, offers open positions to insiders via an internal job board, they even allow "transfers"
I started today, what a refreshing look at corporate america... a supervisor I wouldn't mind hitting a round of golf with, decent hours, hell the center runs in the morning without a supervisor.... who would have thought.
PSP baby... ;)

wily_old_vet

FedEx, offers open positions to insiders via an internal job board, they even allow "transfers"
I started today, what a refreshing look at corporate america... a supervisor I wouldn't mind hitting a round of golf with, decent hours, hell the center runs in the morning without a supervisor.... who would have thought.
PSP baby... ;)

A little too early to compare with UPS. I'm sure you had positive feelings your first day at UPS too.

Overpaid Union Thug

PSP baby... ;)

If I could come in at full-time I'd do it but starting at $13/hr part-time there would be a huge paycut for me. I made more as a part-timer last year at UPS than any of my friends working full-time jobs. Some with degrees. It wouldn't be worth switching to FedEx at this point.

kait90

I don't know any ups driver who works every night until 10 or 1030. We usually get dispatched a 9 and half hour day. I would rather have my overtime spread out over the week and have my weekends off. So you are really working a six day week over there at Fed Ex?

SmithBarney

I don't know any ups driver who works every night until 10 or 1030. We usually get dispatched a 9 and half hour day. I would rather have my overtime spread out over the week and have my weekends off. So you are really working a six day week over there at Fed Ex?

Well a 9.5 dispatch when your leaving the building at 10am..
brings you home at around 9pm daily... most dispatches at my former
ups center were well over that, in fact my last day on the job, I was on
a route thatspecs at 60-70 stops rural(200miles @ ~8sporh)(sounds like
a great route eh?) well I was dispatched with 110 stops, I got about 90
off and got back to the building around 11:30(thats a 12.5 dispatch and
I didn't finish)

Oh yeah, this route has been grieved grieved and grieved again... alas
nothing was ever done, time studies haven't been done in like 20 years...
and they wonder why drivers are dropping like flies(BTW I left for
personal reasons, I still like the company and will work for them again)

Channahon

Nope, I'm wearing purple now, and I'm home at 6pm everynight...

Fredly
Congratlations on getting a job with FEDEX
Are you working split shifts or FEDEX ground>
A good friend of mine brother works for FEDEX Express and goes to school in between his shifts.

SmithBarney

Driving A.M. at Express, although not behind the wheel yet
still training, rode with 3 different drivers so far.. I really like
the approach to training, Driver-to-driver training is really a great
method, should be behind the wheel next week.
The pay isn't the same, but so far I like it, lots of new "methods" to learn.