Fedex ground finds roaming baby on the driveway by his step van

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag

Geez, thank goodness that driver was alert of his surrounding area...

images.jpeg

dmac1

Found a 3 year old little girl wandering around in her pajamas years ago when I was delivering newspapers part-time. Had to call the cops. It was about 3 or 4 AM, in a nice area. Turns out that she was about 2 blocks down the street from home. A neighbor came out after the cops came with blue flashing lights, and the guy recognized the kid and knew where she lived. I also witnesses 4 guys robbing a gas station at gunpoint from across a 4 lane road. Called 911, and tried to follow them when they left. I was in a Geo metro, they were in a late 70s Cutlass. I was able to keep up for about 200 feet. See a lot of strange stuff driving at night.

OrioN

Geez, thank goodness all I see are female deer & their kids in the darkness of my rural route. No street lights at all...

dmac1

Geez, thank goodness all I see are female deer & their kids in the darkness of my rural route. No street lights at all...
I must have run over 100 raccoons. One was a mother with 4 cubs, and I was going around a curve in a 50 mph zone when the headlights caught them. Mom looked up, looked back at her pups, and you could tell she knew what was coming. I hit all of them- they were spread out to where I hit the pups with all four tires.

Another time, on a main 2 lane hiway, a buck stepped out from behind a tree, looked at me, and decided to jump right in front of me. I would say it was a suicide. It all happened in about 1 second. Bent bumper, fender, smashed headlight assembly, radiator pushed back, cracked windshield with an antler as he spun in mid-air. Luckily, I was able to make it about a mile to home. No frame damage though. But skunks are about the worst- they 'stay' with you for a few days.

fedx

Extra Large Package
I must have run over 100 raccoons. One was a mother with 4 cubs, and I was going around a curve in a 50 mph zone when the headlights caught them. Mom looked up, looked back at her pups, and you could tell she knew what was coming. I hit all of them- they were spread out to where I hit the pups with all four tires.

Another time, on a main 2 lane hiway, a buck stepped out from behind a tree, looked at me, and decided to jump right in front of me. I would say it was a suicide. It all happened in about 1 second. Bent bumper, fender, smashed headlight assembly, radiator pushed back, cracked windshield with an antler as he spun in mid-air. Luckily, I was able to make it about a mile to home. No frame damage though. But skunks are about the worst- they 'stay' with you for a few days.
So did you make any effort not to hit that racoon with her babies? I know there are a lot of a-holes out there that won't even try to slow down. I saw some prick run over a squirrel that was in the middle of the road. He made no effort to slow down or do anything to not run it over. I really wanted to smack that guy along side his skull with a baseball bat. There's a lot of a-holes out there on the road.

You either must be a really bad driver or are hitting 100 raccoons on purpose. I've been driving for over 35 years and I've never ran over a raccoon. Had one that ran into the side of my SUV and ran off. So in 35 years I've ran over a frog that jumped in front of my car and hit 2 or 3 birds that flew into my semi and had 1 bird on the ground that ran towards my semi. So in over 35 years of driving, I've accidentally killed less than 5 animals. How could you run over 100 raccoons?

Last edited:

dmac1

So did you make any effort not to hit that racoon with her babies? I know there are a lot of a-holes out there that won't even try to slow down. I saw some prick run over a squirrel that was in the middle of the road. He made no effort to slow down or do anything to not run it over. I really wanted to smack that guy along side his skull with a baseball bat. There's a lot of a-holes out there on the road.

You either must be a really bad driver or are hitting 100 raccoons on purpose. I've been driving for over 35 years and I've never ran over a raccoon. Had one that ran into the side of my SUV and ran off. So in 35 years I've ran over a frog that jumped in front of my car and hit 2 or 3 birds that flew into my semi and had 1 bird on the ground that ran towards my semi. So in over 35 years of driving, I've accidentally killed less than 5 animals. How could you run over 100 raccoons?

Couldn't avoid hitting them, and 100 was maybe an overestimate, maybe 50-60.. As stated, came around a curve at speed limit of 50 mph and headlights hit them about 20 feet in front of me. swerving left I would have still hit them, and possibly spun out. Swerving right would have put me in the drainage ditch they were heading to. Not a bad driver, but when you are driving hundreds of miles on dark farm roads 7 nights a week in all kind of weather for many years, you cross paths with thousands of different animals. I was averaging 170 miles every night on a rural newspaper motor route Saw bears, never hit one but came close, had beavers cross right in front of me, something that looked like maybe a capybara, maybe a nutria, avoided many dozens of deer until the one that was suicidal, possums, foxes, rabbits were everywhere, and a baby owl flew right into my open driver window one night. That one surprised the hell out of me. Most animals would run off as soon as they heard me coming. But raccoons especially seemed almost fearless and had no natural fear of cars, maybe never seeing them much as how they are nocturnal, and rarely any cars on those roads at night. And I think some people treated them as pets and fed them. Corn farms where sweet corn is grown is also a raccoons heaven. Believe me, I did not like hitting them, and avoided many times more than I hit. But hitting that family stuck out because of the look in the mother's eyes. I hit maybe two rabbits, maybe one possum, and maybe two skunks. Why so many raccoons got hit is only a guess, there was obviously a large overpopulation, but they would run out of small brush on the side of the road when I was only a few feet away so even going only 25 mph with culverts on both sides of a one lane dirt roads you can't avoid them. And on a long straight stretch of road, even dirt roads, you can get up to 50 mph. Raccoons are crazy.

I doubt that you drove your semi on one lane dirt roads in farm and forest land in the middle of the night, or maybe you just drove where there were fewer animals.

Last edited:

Mutineer

Regarding squirrels, years ago while visiting a state park, I read a pamphlet recommending NOT to swerve or change speed when trying to avoid running over a squirrel in the road.

The pamphlet went on to explain the reasoning behind that suggestion. Seemed legit and well intended.

Even more strange, there's at least one a-hole out there that would advocate homicide over a dead rodent.

fedx

Extra Large Package
Regarding squirrels, years ago while visiting a state park, I read a pamphlet recommending NOT to swerve or change speed when trying to avoid running over a squirrel in the road.

The pamphlet went on to explain the reasoning behind that suggestion. Seemed legit and well intended.

Even more strange, there's at least one a-hole out there that would advocate homicide over a dead rodent.
Can you list even 1 or 2 or their reasons or are you just making stuff up? Was the pamphlet called "reasons why you should run over squirrels in our park"? Also, I never said I would kill them. So looks like you're the a-hole after all.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
Can you list even 1 or 2 or their reasons or are you just making stuff up? Was the pamphlet called "reasons why you should run over squirrels in our park"? Also, I never said I would kill them. So looks like you're the a-hole after all.
UPS protocol is not not veer for the deer, this means hit the brakes but do not swerve for the deer. It is safer to hit the animal head on then to swerve and kill or injure another motorist or pedestrian. Didn't they teach you this when you went to driving school? People are not A holes as you call them, they are avoiding serious accidents by hitting the animal.

fedx

Extra Large Package
Couldn't avoid hitting them, and 100 was maybe an overestimate, maybe 50-60.. As stated, came around a curve at speed limit of 50 mph and headlights hit them about 20 feet in front of me. swerving left I would have still hit them, and possibly spun out. Swerving right would have put me in the drainage ditch they were heading to. Not a bad driver, but when you are driving hundreds of miles on dark farm roads 7 nights a week in all kind of weather for many years, you cross paths with thousands of different animals. I was averaging 170 miles every night on a rural newspaper motor route Saw bears, never hit one but came close, had beavers cross right in front of me, something that looked like maybe a capybara, maybe a nutria, avoided many dozens of deer until the one that was suicidal, possums, foxes, rabbits were everywhere, and a baby owl flew right into my open driver window one night. That one surprised the hell out of me. Most animals would run off as soon as they heard me coming. But raccoons especially seemed almost fearless and had no natural fear of cars, maybe never seeing them much as how they are nocturnal, and rarely any cars on those roads at night. And I think some people treated them as pets and fed them. Corn farms where sweet corn is grown is also a raccoons heaven. Believe me, I did not like hitting them, and avoided many times more than I hit. But hitting that family stuck out because of the look in the mother's eyes. I hit maybe two rabbits, maybe one possum, and maybe two skunks. Why so many raccoons got hit is only a guess, there was obviously a large overpopulation, but they would run out of small brush on the side of the road when I was only a few feet away so even going only 25 mph with culverts on both sides of a one lane dirt roads you can't avoid them. And on a long straight stretch of road, even dirt roads, you can get up to 50 mph. Raccoons are crazy.

I doubt that you drove your semi on one lane dirt roads in farm and forest land in the middle of the night, or maybe you just drove where there were fewer animals.
You're right, I was not driving a semi on dirt roads. I drive in the Midwest. Not in bear country like you. You must be in a very rural area. I couldn't tell from your original post if you were proud of hitting all those animals or just stating facts. Yours was not intentional after reading the follow up. There are people that run them over and not think twice about it. Those animals want to live just like anyone else.

fedx

Extra Large Package
UPS protocol is not not veer for the deer, this means hit the brakes but do not swerve for the deer. It is safer to hit the animal head on then to swerve and kill or injure another motorist or pedestrian. Didn't they teach you this when you went to driving school? People are not A holes as you call them, they are avoiding serious accidents by hitting the animal.
Yes, I know with a semi you are not to swerve. I didn't say everyone was an a-hole, just the ones that make no effort to slow down or in the case of that squirrel, the guy was going like 20 mph on a 4 lane road (approaching a stoplight) with no traffic around him, he could have hit his breaks or even changed lanes. He did neither. You're only an a-hole if you do nothing when you had the chance to do so. You're only an a-hole if the shoe fits. If you don't do what I talked about, you don't need to be offended by being called an a-hole. It doesn't apply to you. I said there are a lot of a-holes out there. If someone gets offended by that term, then they must feel it applies to them ("he must be talking about me") because they do what I was referring to in my post. Oh and as far as hitting deer straight on, that's not necessarily true it's best to hit them straight on. Many people get killed when the deer comes up into the windshield. Last week two different accidents in my state killed 2 different people when the deer flew into the windshield.

Last edited:

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Yes, I know with a semi you are not to swerve. I didn't say everyone was an a-hole, just the ones that make no effort to slow down or in the case of that squirrel, the guy was going like 20 mph on a 4 lane road with no traffic around him, he could have hit his breaks or even changed lanes. He did neither. You're only an a-hole if you do nothing when you had the chance to do so. You're only an a-hole if the shoe fits. If you don't do what I talked about, you don't need to be offended by being called an a-hole. It doesn't apply to you. I said there are a lot of a-holes out there. If someone gets offended by that term, then they must feel it applies to them because they do what I was referring to in my post.
I will proudly claim your definition of a-hole because my life, my passengers, my property, and those around me are more important to me than that of a squirrel. Guess my estimation of the value of human life is different than yours.

fedx

Extra Large Package
I will proudly claim your definition of a-hole because my life, my passengers, my property, and those around me are more important to me than that of a squirrel. Guess my estimation of the value of human life is different than yours.
Like I said if the shoe fits. If you can slow down or safely swerve and you choose not to, then you're an a-hole. As long as you're good with it, that's all that matters.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
Yes, I know with a semi you are not to swerve. I didn't say everyone was an a-hole, just the ones that make no effort to slow down or in the case of that squirrel, the guy was going like 20 mph on a 4 lane road (approaching a stoplight) with no traffic around him, he could have hit his breaks or even changed lanes. He did neither. You're only an a-hole if you do nothing when you had the chance to do so. You're only an a-hole if the shoe fits. If you don't do what I talked about, you don't need to be offended by being called an a-hole. It doesn't apply to you. I said there are a lot of a-holes out there. If someone gets offended by that term, then they must feel it applies to them ("he must be talking about me") because they do what I was referring to in my post. Oh and as far as hitting deer straight on, that's not necessarily true it's best to hit them straight on. Many people get killed when the deer comes up into the windshield. Last week two different accidents in my state killed 2 different people when the deer flew into the windshield.
Veering for any animal is dangerous and stupid, why put yourself or others in danger. I get the intent is what makes you consider them A holes in your definition. To say anybody that doesn't veer, slam on brakes or put others in risk would be a ignorant thing to say.

Mutineer

"reasons why you should run over squirrels in our park"?

Yes. A park in California staffed almost entirely of hand-wringing, quiche-eating hippies was circulating the pamphlets you describe.

I really wanted to smack that guy along side his skull with a baseball bat.

That reads like the ravings of a lunatic.
Go take yer meds. And immediately surrender all weapons (yer bat, too) to the proper authorities.

Also, I never said I would kill them

There isn't a judge on this planet, or judge on any planet in the entire Universe that wouldn't rule the fantasy you describe as attempting to kill something.

fedx

Extra Large Package
Yes. A park in California staffed almost entirely of hand-wringing, quiche-eating hippies was circulating the pamphlets you describe.

Interesting. Not park rangers, but hippies staff the park. I guess that's California for ya or else you're lying. I don't think hippies would be telling people to run over squirrels.

That reads like the ravings of a lunatic.
Go take yer meds. And immediately surrender all weapons (yer bat, too) to the proper authorities.

Your avatar makes you look like a lunatic. Go take your meds and surrender all your weapons first. I feel threatened by your avatar.

There isn't a judge on this planet, or judge on any planet in the entire Universe that wouldn't rule the fantasy you describe as attempting to kill something.

Only a maroon like you might assume that, but that's why you're not a judge.

fedx

Extra Large Package
Oh yeah? Well yer a rodent-worshiper.
Lol, I wouldn't say I worship them, but I don't hate them. A couple of months ago I had a groundhog that was half hibernating near some bushes in my front yard. I woke him up mowing leaves and he was confused. I put him on a snow shovel and took him to my back woods so he could find a new place to sleep. I try to be nice to animals. I have an even more crazy story about a mouse I caught in a mousetrap, but I won't share it.

Last edited:

OrioN

How did this turn into a road kill fest???

I'm talking about kids and toddlers running amuck.

In my neighborhood, most of these elementary kids have no street smarts... I have to be more vigilant at parking in my own driveway (nose out) so I have full view of the sidewalk/ road when heading out.

When I covered a suburbia area that one Sunday during peak, some kids were running around while I delivered something to a townhouse. As I got back in my vehicle,my Spiderman sense was tingling...

I engaged reverse to turn on my rear view monitor to find 2 kids on my rear bumper!

Shut it down, honked the horn and go out to shout at them.