FedEx mounts big-money push to head off unionization by US workers

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
FedEx workers hoping to unionize and get better pay and benefits have met with a well-financed barrage of opposition from the company, according to recordings obtained by the Guardian.

story

ManInBrown

Lolol. Saw a Walmart anti union video one time when I went down the YouTube rabbit hole one night. It was funny. Also $2000 a month pension. Lolol. Try $4500-$5000, and even more in some cases. Was talking to a driver one morning from Rhode Island. Told me they get 7K per month.

Csdsm18

If anything does come about and we get a union does that only cover certain Fedex brands like Express, Ground, Freight? How would that work?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Lolol. Saw a Walmart anti union video one time when I went down the YouTube rabbit hole one night. It was funny. Also $2000 a month pension. Lolol. Try $4500-$5000, and even more in some cases. Was talking to a driver one morning from Rhode Island. Told me they get 7K per month.
My traditional pension will be $1,700 and change. :(

fedx

Extra Large Package
The fact that Express' so called 10 step pay progression has been suspended is proof enough that they need to unionize. If we did have a union, you'd be looking at a 3-4 year to top out progression plan. "Oh I don't wanna pay union dues" they say. Okay, so you'll be making over $20,000 a year more by paying $800 (or so) a YEAR in union dues. Do the match. Pay $800 to make $20K more a year. You're still coming out $19,200 ahead every year.

Star B

White Lightening
Exactly, it will just take the right administration to put an end to the "Express is an airline that happens to own a massive fleet of vehicles on public roads"... considering that fleet of trucks is crucial to the operations where if the trucks that drive on public roadways disappear, the company is paralyzed. If Delta/United/AA lost all it's public road vehicles, it wouldn't cripple the company as airplanes are what is critical to its operation.

Airplanes are critical to our operation too but how many customers would we have if we required everyone to go to the terminal to pick and drop their stuff up. Express wouldn't be in business long.

vantexan

The fact that Express' so called 10 step pay progression has been suspended is proof enough that they need to unionize. If we did have a union, you'd be looking at a 3-4 year to top out progression plan. "Oh I don't wanna pay union dues" they say. Okay, so you'll be making over $20,000 a year more by paying $800 (or so) a YEAR in union dues. Do the match. Pay $800 to make $20K more a year. You're still coming out $19,200 ahead every year.
Only if FedEx has the money to pay that.

ManInBrown

20K more per year? Try 40 or 50K per year if you aren’t at top rate. I left Express in 2011. Never made more than 45K per year. 4th year at Brown I made 95K without even trying. I will say this, if you are one of the lucky ones at Express that is at top rate, I wouldn’t recommend doing it. Not worth it. I have to imagine top rate Express drivers easily make 70K. Am I wrong? I don’t even know what top rate is. When i left for my market I think it was mid 20s per hour.

bacha29

Ground doesn't have to worry about it. That's what they've got contractors for. They're not doing a damn thing X can't do themselves except for the only 2 reasons they exist period. Feed Fat Freddy's addiction to cheap labor and to keep the Teamsters out. Can't do either one then it's "hasta lavista. baby".

The only events that could make Fat Freddy sign a teamster contract would be new legislation or a geopolitical event that would strip away his protections at Express while at Ground they strip contractor settlements down so low that they can't find anybody willing to risk getting themselves killed out there everyday for fast food wages and zero benefits.

rod

Retired 22 years
Not everyone gets 4 to $7,000. Mine has always been $3,000 but I hear it has gone up some since----but old retirees aren't included on any raises ----in fact we are fighting to keep our $3,000.

dezguy

I love that one.

I'm currently paying over $200 a month for my "pension" and benefits. Spoke with one of the UPS guys on my route and he pays $80 a month in union dues and gets company sponsored benefits as well as a company sponsored pension. I would be saving over $120/ month in that scenario.

But we still have guys at my sta that don't get it. "Well, I can claim my pension contributions and benefits on my taxes." Hey, dummy! You can claim union dues on your taxes and still be coming out far ahead.

Spam

20K more per year? Try 40 or 50K per year if you aren’t at top rate. I left Express in 2011. Never made more than 45K per year. 4th year at Brown I made 95K without even trying. I will say this, if you are one of the lucky ones at Express that is at top rate, I wouldn’t recommend doing it. Not worth it. I have to imagine top rate Express drivers easily make 70K. Am I wrong? I don’t even know what top rate is. When i left for my market I think it was mid 20s per hour.
My station a bunch of drivers between 90,000- 105,000. 55 hrs a week

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Yes, the “I ain’t payin’ no damn union dues” crowd has always given me a laugh (a bitter one perhaps - but a laugh none-the-less)

btrlov

Ups exploits part-time labor...the union is complicit in that.there are guys doing 15 hrs a week at $9 an hr so a driver can make 36 an hr. the guy that made 95k above was doing tons of extra hrs. idk if he volunteered or not. Ups has an more efficient operation unlike fedex. ups takes advantage every tax loophole or break. for example ups managers/supervisors are effectively required to donate a % of their monthly salary to the united way. FedEx can afford the rates if they can consolidate n retain good package volume