Fedex news

B

bigbrown

Jobs, tax money and noise comes with FedEx relocation

SOUTH HACKENSACK, N.J. (AP) -- FedEx is known for delivering overnight, not for delivering noise.

But residents in this town across the Hudson River from New York City say that is exactly they are getting.

FedEx, in trying to address residents' concerns, has banned drivers from parking in residential areas and has erected an 8-foot-high fence around its facility, which, like others in town, is near homes.

Z

zippo

FedEx cargo plane crashes in Tallahassee

TALLAHASSEE, Florida (AP) -- A FedEx Boeing 727 cargo jet crashed and burned short of the runway Friday at Tallahassee Airport. The three-member crew escaped with minor injuries, the company said.

The three-engine jet, FedEx Fight 1478 from Memphis, landed a half mile short of the runway at 5:43 a.m., said Kathleen Bergen, a Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman at regional offices in Atlanta.

J

ja7618

let's hope those guys are okay and it sounds like they were very lucky

J

jcroche

Preliminary reports had the aircraft on fire BEFORE the attempted landing. The investigation as to the cause of the fire could have repercussions throughout the entire industry.

P

proups

I think the FedEx pilots will be OK, according to all of the news reports.

I have friends in the airline business - on the manufacturing and maintenance side. They tell me that what happened to the FedEx plane was unusual, but not something that will cause a tremendous problem for the industry.

L

longups

Yes, the pilots are OK, that should be the main concern.

Does anyone have UPS's aircraft incident record? I only remember one incident, a Fairchild about 10+ years ago.

Fedex has had at least 4 major ones that I remember (Newark, Stewart, Phillapines, and yesterday not to mention the one in Castaway with Tom Hanks) and they are giving the industry a bad name. If a passenger airline did the same I think it would be headlines. Thank goodness they only carry parcels!!

K

kjones514

Yes, my friend UPS does not a "spotless air record." UPS had a B767, N316UP, crash at EFD in '98 during a hurricane, the media was worked over by local UPS Mgt, and because of the devastion to Houston it was washed under the news. The aircraft tried to land in the storm, and skidded off the runway @EFD, no one was injured (except for pilot pride) but the aircraft received serious damage. The aircraft was rebuilt by BAC and flew out several months later. UPS has been very lucky, this is because of UPS's commitment to safety in the air and on the ground. The Pilots and Mechanics Union's have made UPS, the 10th largest airline, a very safe and profitable operation.

R

retired

FedEx CEO Smith's Salary, Bonus Rose in Latest Fiscal Year
By Rick Brooks, Staff Reporter of The Wall Street Journal

ATLANTA -- FedEx Corp. (NYSE:FDX - News) , which saw its net income rise during its most recent fiscal year despite a slump in air deliveries, increased the salaries and bonuses of four of its top five executives, with Frederick W. Smith, the company's chairman and chief executive, receiving an 18% jump.

Mr. Smith's salary rose to $1.15 million in the fiscal year ended May 31 from $1.14 million a year earlier, according to proxy materials filed Monday with the Securities and Exchange Commission. The delivery giant's founder also got a bonus of $1.32 million, up from $940,827 in fiscal 2001. FedEx is the parent of the U.S. leader in express deliveries, ahead of United Parcel Service Inc. (NYSE:UPS - News) and Airborne Inc. (NYSE:ABF - News) .