Fedex up $2.65 today Ups +$.41

alister

See as a company fedex cares about the customer, now with ups only the drivers care about the customer, plus eskew is with ups.

personally i think it is mostly with the upcoming union contract. people are too worried about buying the stock and then having a strike with their stock price going down.

Pip

Fedex stock was due for a jump. They seem to been dropping the last couple months after hitting 121.42 earlier in the year.

Pip

I wish I had the answer. The stock has been stagnant for sometime now. I'm thinking that once a contract is approved you might see a difference. I am far from an expert.

loserupser

Two minute Therapist
I'm seriously thinking about jumping ship, selling and gobbling up some overpriced fedex stock(only if i wasn't so dam loyal).

705red

Browncafe Steward
I'm seriously thinking about jumping ship, selling and gobbling up some overpriced fedex stock(only if i wasn't so dam loyal).
Dont put all of your eggs in one basket! I have driver friends that bought fedex stock years ago and have made more money on it than ours!

moreluck

golden ticket member
Fedex stock was reported "in play" today. You'll have to ask a broker to explain that.....but that's why it was up. Also, probably # of shares moved was higher than normal....I haven't checked, but that's what usually happens when a stock is "in play".

nhguy

This jump in the Fed EX stock could be attributed to the fact that they will be reporting their earnings soon.A lot of stocks get a push up prior to announcing earnings. In addition, people just don't seem to realize that Fed Ex only has 300 million shares outstanding. UPS has well over a billion shares in the market. This is why their EPS are higher and their stock is proced higher. They also have a solid public relations that department and a strong financial department that knoes how to work with Wall street analysts. UPS seems to struggle with the analysts.

hoser

Industrial Slob
See as a company fedex cares about the customer, now with ups only the drivers care about the customer, plus eskew is with ups.
..and when a company lays off a thousand unionized employees, the share instantaneously shoots up $1.00.

a $0.05 gain on a $1 share is worth just as much as a $5 gain on a $100 share.

look at it any way you like.

Dfigtree

What's going on with this picture, I dont understand Wall Street!
:confused:1:confused:1:confused:1
Why are you so concerned with one day of FDX outperforming UPS? Since the 10 vote per share shareholders (foundations, retirees, current management and former CEO's) have not held the current CEO, CFO, CIO and curly locks in I.S. responsible for the poor performance in stock price, you may expect the same until someone who knows how to imanagement a corporation for fun and profit is brought in. That would be from the outside, IMHO. And now, the chart you've been waiting for.
chart

lovetokayak

The jump in stock price is a reaction to a couple of things. First, they declared quarterly dividends which always makes stockholders happy. Secondly, the company settled a large lawsuit. As strange as it sounds, stockholders and the public in general does not like any lingering legal proceedings related to a company; they much rather see it resolved and settled. Finally, one more item, which actually pisses me off...I am a native of Hungary, so seeing FedEx acquiring a small "flying-cargo" company in that country rather than UPS doing the same is rubbing me the wrong way. Hungary and the rest of the "Eastern European" countries have tremendous un-tapped markets, growing economies and an eagerness to conduct business with the west. UPS hopefully will take advantage of these opportunities...I wish I could explain to Eskew what he might be missing out on. On one final note, than I'll be quite....I am beginning my driver training in a week; my uniforms arrived yesterday and I cannot wait to work even more for Big Brown!!!! LOVE THIS COMPANY!!!!

705red

Browncafe Steward
The jump in stock price is a reaction to a couple of things. First, they declared quarterly dividends which always makes stockholders happy. Secondly, the company settled a large lawsuit. As strange as it sounds, stockholders and the public in general does not like any lingering legal proceedings related to a company; they much rather see it resolved and settled. Finally, one more item, which actually pisses me off...I am a native of Hungary, so seeing FedEx acquiring a small "flying-cargo" company in that country rather than UPS doing the same is rubbing me the wrong way. Hungary and the rest of the "Eastern European" countries have tremendous un-tapped markets, growing economies and an eagerness to conduct business with the west. UPS hopefully will take advantage of these opportunities...I wish I could explain to Eskew what he might be missing out on. On one final note, than I'll be quite....I am beginning my driver training in a week; my uniforms arrived yesterday and I cannot wait to work even more for Big Brown!!!! LOVE THIS COMPANY!!!!
Rookie give it time!

wkmac

I know this is gonna stir the pot so to speak but what the Hay!

http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/lock-and-load.2270/

I happen to stumble on this old thread from 2003' but in light of the subject matter it's worth consideration. Since 2003' what has the following done:

Overall market: UP/DOWN/Stayed about where it was in 03'?

S&P: same question as above

Dow: same question as above

NASDAQ: same question as above

FedEx: same question as above

UPS: same question as above

Of all these investment vehicles, as an investor looking to maximize your return on investment, which one above would you NOT invest in?

Don't you love it when the teacher gives the class a test that even the dumbest student can make a 100 on!
:thumbup1:

wkmac

..and when a company lays off a thousand unionized employees, the share instantaneously shoots up $1.00.

They don't have to because look at your employee retention rate! And while you are at it, look at the retention rate among fulltimers which use to never move in a negative direction to any degree. That is not the case anymore. Or better yet, look at the management retention rate which in years past you had to kill em' to get them to leave. Now that percentage is increasing and ticking upwards.

And still, what has that done for the stock price?

Nuttin' Honey!

Better yet, I'll ask this question. What is the cost to the company and it's bottomline to be in constant training mode because of excess turnover in the PT ranks? What is the cost per new employee that walks out the back door as fast as they walked in the front door? What is the cost to the company to maintain gimmick programs of freebies and giveaways to promote retention and even safety as you spend enormous amounts of time and effort in a constant training mode to try and maintain quality internal service while at the same time pass continuous internal and some external safety audits? How much does all that cost? What does a corp. retention program cost with it's program manager, admin staff and the resulting, continuous conference calls and other meeting just to address this one never solved isue?

What about the cost of training a new driver to replace an old driver that after 10 years got sick of it all and left to go elsewhere? Using the average, how long does it take that rookie driver to gain the knowledge and instincts of that veteran that just walked out? What will be the cost until expeience brings them up to speed?

Same question as for the management folks that walk out?

From the hourly ranks, is it you contention that the IE group and it's corp plan as well as local business plans are running fat with employee staffing? If there is fattness, it's management who have authorized the fat in the first place and much of that is due to the fact that management is either to lazy or to afraid to stand up and address the attendance problems running rampent in our company. Do that and you just might see some areas of overall staffing drop and the need for non-attendance coverage won't be needed.

On the other hand your idea might seem cost effective until you look deeper into the process and realize there are costs built in there as well. You can bet as much as Glenlake wants the stock to go up, if canning 1000 union members would do it, it would happen and if you looked you'd probably see that many quitting on a regular basis anyway and the stock price hasn't moved so there you go!

JMO

hoser

Industrial Slob
They don't have to because look at your employee retention rate! And while you are at it, look at the retention rate among fulltimers which use to never move in a negative direction to any degree. That is not the case anymore. Or better yet, look at the management retention rate which in years past you had to kill em' to get them to leave. Now that percentage is increasing and ticking upwards.

employee turnover is much different than laying off employees.

the former costs money while the latter saves money.

look at GM's stock when they laid off staff.