Feeder Drivers, Beware of 53' Containers

MaceFremonti

All of our new 274... tractors are for these. They are "fake" twin screws and have a single screw with a tag axle. We call them training wheels...lol.

Sent using BrownCafe App

The UPS 600 series seem like they have the better chassis,,but the CSXU and the UMXU trailers are just an accident waiting to happen, I really thing that they should only be pulled with a twin screw, I agree with the extra pay on these thing,,lol

The vast majority of all the pics on here are of UPSU 600's. Their chassis' are every bit as poorly maintained as the others.

outta hours

Oh crap....The feeling you get when one of these pops up on the IVIS for your outbound leg. Always hoping for a nice triple Z instead.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Like I said before , mad props to you feeder guys. That's dangerous stuff with them big rigs. ID never do it, ill be honest with ya I aint got the kahunas to do it.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Like I said before , mad props to you feeder guys. That's dangerous stuff with them big rigs. ID never do it, ill be honest with ya I aint got the kahunas to do it.

It's not that big of a deal. In your own hand, big kahunas feel the same as small kahunas. Either one, you get used to the feeling. Unless they're not your kahunas. If that's the case, you're asking the wrong question on the wrong forum.

It's a whole different set of circumstances. In feeders, slow and steady wins our race. In PC, management cares far less about safety, because the consequences are far less serious. Safety, in feeders, is completely up to the driver. You'll find their "talks" about performance can easily be broken with a simple question or two by you towards their "logic".

Remember how freaky you felt driving a package car felt the first time you drove it? Feeders is the same thing. If you can respect the job, the equipment and the situations, it really isn't much different from any other job. The equipment is different, the situations are different, but everything is adaptable.

Snow in feeders looks the same as snow in a sedan. One more time: slow and steady ALWAYS wins the race.

P

pickup

Old thread,,I know !!
but I had one last nite going to rail with no front zip ties,and needed a fork truck to close the doors which a 20 LB sledge couldn't do ....Upper rods bent....then on top of that it was 100 % full ,,felt like trailer was driving me !
These things got to be overweight on a single screw tractor !! My tractor mud flaps were scraping the ground !!
I HATE THESE DAM THINGS !!!!

I have had this situation before, the tandems of the trailer were all the way back to the rear, shifting all the weight to front, causing the mud flaps to rub and the trailer doors wouldn't close because all that leverage caused the chassis and the container to bend slightly. I moved the tandems and most of the problem was solved, doors closed, mud flaps weren't rubbing. Probably was still overweight.

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
image.jpg

Here's a gem that showed up in MN. That's a dry rotted rubber bunge holding the pin in place.

bluebiker

In all honesty why don't they just weld the front pins in place?

The welds would break from all the pounding they take. There has to be a little give, the locks for the front pins get bent just from them putting the container on. (The guy in the machine basically does it by feel.) Sometimes they miss and put the container resting on the pins.

Look at the pins on the dolly lifters on the shifters. Some have been rewelded a bunch of times, and they don't get half the stress the container pins take.