Feeder question

barnyard

KTM rider
I can build a set in half the time I did during my productive week. Too fast or just better at doing the job?

If you are doing a thorough pretrip of both trailers and the dolly, I would say that you are doing everything right and you have just gotten better due to repetition. Do not start doing your pretrip by just 'going through the motions.' Be sure you are actually looking at things.

bluebiker

Was told something around 39 minutes from SW, assemble set and hit leave. Of course that's in fantasy land times. In fantasy land the tractor is right outside the dispatch door, the 2 trailers are next to each other and dollys are nearby. And there is NEVER any Yard traffic in fantasyland!
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just do the best you can.

Nockahate9

Ex. Yesterday SW@0900, pretrip tractor, find 53' trailer, couple and pretrip, hit leave @0928. Yeah I do it by the methods but if I do something in 30 minutes when I had like 45 minutes to do it, I'm slow it down a notch. I'm there to make money, not be the quickest to get done.

SnowCitizen

Ex. Yesterday SW@0900, pretrip tractor, find 53' trailer, couple and pretrip, hit leave @0928. Yeah I do it by the methods but if I do something in 30 minutes when I had like 45 minutes to do it, I'm slow it down a notch. I'm there to make money, not be the quickest to get done.

For just a single trailer the allowance is only about 20 minutes. If you slow that down to 45 minutes they will probably ask you why you are taking so long.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
FWIW, I would probably be considered a slug, in management's and burner's minds, but I am completely thorough, do the same thing EVERY SINGLE TIME, and if there is so much as a safety pin not in operating condition, I head to the shop to get things corrected. No exceptions to that.

I don't go out of my way to be a slug, but I find that doing my job the way I was trained, everyday, will get you put on one of their stupid, worst 5 lists. I save every piece of paper they give me. And they have given me a lot. Usually a print-out of the day before's numbers with smart assed remarks written on them. Stuff like, "Why does it take this long to do this," and, "why does it take that long to do this?".

There are two things they go by, the plan, the schedule and the actual time. Your plan is what they think it should take to get that particular activity done, if unicorns and leprechauns were rolling about. The plan is pretty much not doable, even for the most strident runner/gunner. The schedule is the absolute time to get done before you are considered late. And actual time is where I lie. Haha.

Believe it or not, I almost always make schedule, unless I have to go to the shop.

Anyway, in front of me here, is a print-out an on-road clone gave to me when he was freaking out about how long it was taking me to do my job a few years back. To the best of my knowledge, these numbers still apply, and from talking to other feeder drivers around the country, these are pretty much the same numbers company-wide. However, they might be different where you are at, but I doubt it.

This list is verbatim. And remember, these are plan numbers. Generally speaking, you get an additional 15 minutes on top of the plan #'s to make the scheduled times.

Start Work:
You get 33 minutes to pre-trip, couple a set and leave. This is if you claim 1 and 1 for equipment handling.
You get 19 minutes to pre-trip and single and leave. This is if you claim 0 for equipment handling.

Turn-Around:
You get 39 minutes to break down your set, couple another set and leave. This is if you claim 1 and 1 coming in, and 1 and 1 going out. You get 26 minutes to break down your set and couple a single and leave. This is if you claim a 1 and 1 coming in, and 0 going out.
(This is what I did in this particular job)

Finish Work:
You get 31 minutes to break your set down, fuel, wash, park and get punched out. This is if you claim a 1 and 1 coming in.
You get 17 minutes to break your single down, fuel, wash, park and get punched out. This is if you claim 0 coming in.

So you see, as usual, their numbers are crazy. It always takes me around 15 minutes to pre-trip my tractor, so what are my chances to make a 19 minutes plan to leave even with just one trailer? Impossible. But add that extra 15 minutes for schedule time, and it can be done. Again, that is provided your equipment has no issues, you don't have to go get a hub supervisor to secure your load (you do realize ALL loads have to have a strap or bar, right?) and you don't have to go run down a seal for your trailer.

Bottom line: don't rush at all during your pre-trip and hook-up. It's much easier to fix a problem in the yard than it is on the road, even if that means you'll be late.

Johney

Drac,
How do you bring in a set and say 1 and 1 coming in? Isn't a set considered 2 and 1 for incoming equipment? Bring in a single and it's 0? Maybe I'm not understanding you.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
2 and one is if you have to respot your back box. Your schedule will tell you how much time allowance you have for hooking up. For us it is 34m from sw to leave if you have a set. You get a 10m grace period before you show up on the report. So 44m or else the hassle you the next day

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Drac,
How do you bring in a set and say 1 and 1 coming in? Isn't a set considered 2 and 1 for incoming equipment? Bring in a single and it's 0? Maybe I'm not understanding you.
Unless you're TO, you automatically get credit for 1.

If you only bring in 1, it would be 0 trailers and 0 dollies. You automatically got credit for 1.

If you bring in 1 trailer and a dolly, it would be 0 trailers and 1 dolly.

If you bring in 2, it would be 1 trailer and 1 dolly.

If you bring in 2 and have to spot your back box somewhere besides just dropping it, it would be 2 trailers and 1 dolly.

If you just drop your back box and leave with your front and dolly, it would be 0 trailers and 0 dollies.

If you came in with 2 and dropped your back box and dolly and took your front with you, it would be 0 trailers and 1 dolly.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Drac,
As an update to my previous post, it is not the equipment you brought in or out that is inputted into the screen. It is the equipment "handled."

MaceFremonti

It is quite humorous when they give you a hard time about your on property times in the morning when at your turn around you wait 3 hours for your outbound loads to be ready.

Then when you are leaving the loads that you initially brought with you are still sitting where you dropped them three hours earlier.

Coming from package I used to always look at the operation reports to see how much I ran under the day before. In feeders I just don't even care about it anymore. I have been talked to once about my on property time since I've been in feeders.

Dracula

Drac,
We've always been told you don't take credit for the first move--supposedly its built into the allowances-- so just hooking a single, we claim 0. Hooking a set of stacked trailers, we claim 1 and 1. If we have to go grab and stack both trailers and the dolly, then we claim 2 and 1. Just how it is here. I don't mess around with claiming more than what they say.

Dracula

It is quite humorous when they give you a hard time about your on property times in the morning when at your turn around you wait 3 hours for your outbound loads to be ready.

Then when you are leaving the loads that you initially brought with you are still sitting where you dropped them three hours earlier.

Coming from package I used to always look at the operation reports to see how much I ran under the day before. In feeders I just don't even care about it anymore. I have been talked to once about my on property time since I've been in feeders.
I don't care either. These are just the numbers that they care about.