Feeder rules for Arizona

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
If someone fails twice and maybe is not showing improvement like they would like to see, then they look at it as you're wasting training time that they could be devoting to someone they can put on the road and be confident in their ability. The ORsups in feeders would always let people have a little extra backing practice if you wanted to come in a little early and they had time to help you. When I took my CDL test 30+ years ago, about 3 of us rented a dodge maxivan (the kind that holds like 9-10 people). That qualified as a commercial vehicle back then. I don't believe it is that way now. That van didn't bend in the middle. I'm all for giving chances, but like someone said, there are folks that are just not comfortable driving an 18 wheeler.

Foamer Pyle

Maybe because Feeders are a serious piece of equipment and they want to make sure you don't kill anyone.

Package Cars..............hell, the guy selling ice cream in the neighborhood is essentially driving a package car.
I tried Feeders and bugged out. You only get 3 days of actual driving training, and then they send you to get your CDL. I passed the test but did not feel comfortable driving a set of doubles with three days of training. I am sure everyone is different, but I was a nervous wreck.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Foamer Pyle

Very different than here, we basically didn't work on CDL stuff at all. For instance the CDL pretrip is different from the UPS pretrip, if you did the pretrip for the cdl test the way they taught us you would fail right there. The UPS instructors had no clue how the cdl backing test would be set up and we spent very little time working on backing anyway. We spent practically all of our driving time on the highway, whereas the cdl road test was a lot of going through intersections in town, making left and right turns in traffic, etc. Also we don't get two non-productive weeks, we got one.
In case I'm not being clear I thought the UPS school was a joke and really shortchanged a lot of the drivers who were trying to get into feeders. I saw guys get dq'ed because they didn't pick it up right away, when the reality is that a lot of them would have made perfectly good safe feeder drivers with a little more instruction.
I agree with you 100%. The training is a joke, I was mad that I had to bug out, but would rather do that than drive a vehicle like that at night with very little experience, and risk an accident. I was told that over 50% of the folks that try out for feeders wash out. Now I know why.

Sent using BrownCafe App