Feeder Safety Check

rushfan

Had a ride along last week. I was surprised when I was told safety checks are no longer necessary, as our cargo is secured inside trailers. If we are to do one, we are to use our break to do it, as others are "abusing the privilege". I thought it is a federal law, and not a UPS rule.

over9five

Staff member
What??????

What does the cargo have to do with the safety check? Am I missing something.
DOT says you stop every 200 (I think?) miles for a safety check.

av8torntn

Here's the language. Since the cargo is secured there is no need to stop

Tie what about an equipment check? From what I see those rules do not address this. When I was trained they never told me to check the cargo but they did tell me to stop around 200 or 250 miles to kick the tires . I think they even had a question on the written test about this.

chev

Nightcrawler
Tie what about an equipment check? From what I see those rules do not address this. When I was trained they never told me to check the cargo but they did tell me to stop around 200 or 250 miles to kick the tires . I think they even had a question on the written test about this.
Yes, but it is not a DOT requirement.

Last edited:

tieguy

Banned

AV , I had the same thoughts. Still looking for the language.:happy-very:

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
I have been hearing they told driver's not to stop on the long runs. When I went to Feeders three years ago I believe they said we could stop every three hours or 150(?) miles for the 15 minute safety check/break. 99% of the time I usually run locally so I am foggy on the exact criteria. But the last time I did a scheduled three hour and fifteen minute run, I was told by my shop steward I could not stop for a safety check. I could only stop if I needed too, (bathroom, breakdown, etc.). I have heard we can stop after 3 1/2 hours now but I am not sure.

I wonder what the contract language on this is, regardless of DOT language.

trickpony1

rushfan-
Your on road supervisor is right.
Don't get out and do a walk around to determine if you've been dragging your light cord the last 50 miles.
Don't get out and do a walk around to determine if you've been dragging your service airline the last 50 miles.
Don't get out and do a walk around to determine if one of the four tires on your dolly axle or over weight (and over gross on that axle) double 45 footer's is low or blown.
Don't get out and do a walk around to refresh yourself and maybe go to the bathroom thereby minimizing the chances you will doze off.

It is much more important to get those loads to the yard 10 minutes earlier so they can sit for 3 hours before the sort starts.

Safety first!!!!

(sarcasm intended)

chev

Nightcrawler
rushfan-
Your on road supervisor is right.
Don't get out and do a walk around to determine if you've been dragging your light cord the last 50 miles.
Don't get out and do a walk around to determine if you've been dragging your service airline the last 50 miles.
Don't get out and do a walk around to determine if one of the four tires on your dolly axle or over weight (and over gross on that axle) double 45 footer's is low or blown.
Don't get out and do a walk around to refresh yourself and maybe go to the bathroom thereby minimizing the chances you will doze off.

It is much more important to get those loads to the yard 10 minutes earlier so they can sit for 3 hours before the sort starts.

Safety first!!!!

(sarcasm intended)
Are you kidding....UPS equipment; breaking down. :surprised: Never happens. And drivers don't need pee/refresher breaks. We are mindless drones. :wink2: Toughen up and hold yer water cowboy. It'll make a man out of ya.:anxious:

@ over9five ...I did too. I couldn't find anything on it either. Just language about periodic inspection and regular maintenance.

rushfan

I'm still doing my safety check. I wanted your thoughts. What are we supposed to do wait 'till an under inflated tire blows on us-causing an accident-ultimately me being charged with an accident.
I guess that means when winter comes, we cannot take time to blow the moisture out of the tanks-freezing in the lines, nor clear the snow off the tail lights. I've come to the conclusion those telling my DTS certified sup that they're not necessary, since they've never driven a semi nor ever held a CDL. They come from accounting.

I'm still doing my safety check. I wanted your thoughts. What are we supposed to do wait 'till an under inflated tire blows on us-causing an accident-ultimately me being charged with an accident.
I guess that means when winter comes, we cannot take time to blow the moisture out of the tanks-freezing in the lines, nor clear the snow off the tail lights. I've come to the conclusion those telling my DTS certified sup that they're not necessary, since they've never driven a semi nor ever held a CDL. They come from accounting.

You pretty much nailed it on the head. We try and make notes every time there`s an accident and what the company`s decisions are so when someone says something like they said to you we pull out the notebook and say "but what about this accident that UPS says would have been prevented by this or that?". Don`t be afraid to contact the state police and ask them what the laws are and get it in print for such occasions.

raceanoncr

Listen, I just passed 30 yrs service/safe driving so think I can speak with a little authority. I don't mean to sound arrogant but I pretty much tell all our "green" supes and mngers that I will do whatever I think is safe to get my bod home safe.

If it means getting out two, three or four times before I even leave the yard to check something I am in doubt about, I do it!

If it means getting a rag and some cleaner to wipe the reflective tape around and in back of every trailer before I take off with them throwing a hissy fit, I do it!

If it means checking the chains, lites, cords after 100, 200 or more miles, I do it!

If I've got the "Minnesota Quick Step" and I hafta stop unexpectedly many times with break already gone, I do it!

A, many-yr, feeder driver, long retired, told me when I started, "You're the captain of this ship, you hafta do what you think is best". And I do!

I don't need some computer-trained, top-gun, recitation expert with 0 years of practical experience telling me what I CAN'T do when I think I HAVE to.

Sorry, but maybe I AM a little snobbish on this subject but I think I've earned it.

Listen, I just passed 30 yrs service/safe driving so think I can speak with a little authority. I don't mean to sound arrogant but I pretty much tell all our "green" supes and mngers that I will do whatever I think is safe to get my bod home safe.

If it means getting out two, three or four times before I even leave the yard to check something I am in doubt about, I do it!

If it means getting a rag and some cleaner to wipe the reflective tape around and in back of every trailer before I take off with them throwing a hissy fit, I do it!

If it means checking the chains, lites, cords after 100, 200 or more miles, I do it!

If I've got the "Minnesota Quick Step" and I hafta stop unexpectedly many times with break already gone, I do it!

A, many-yr, feeder driver, long retired, told me when I started, "You're the captain of this ship, you hafta do what you think is best". And I do!

I don't need some computer-trained, top-gun, recitation expert with 0 years of practical experience telling me what I CAN'T do when I think I HAVE to.

Sorry, but maybe I AM a little snobbish on this subject but I think I've earned it.

But,but,but.....the book says.....:happy2: I usually tell them "say all you want but your name won`t be the one on the accident report".

Minnesota quick step? Is that like the White Castle shuffle?